Client VS Server - What is the difference?

If you have 2 systems then how do you know that which one is client system?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rahul Naraniya
    If you have 2 systems then how do you know that which one is client system?
    The one that makes the request is a client; and the one that processes the request is a server. Any machine could be a client or a server depending upon its function.

Does this answer your question? If not, please describe the problem a bit in more detail.
  • Rahul Naraniya
    Rahul Naraniya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The one that makes the request is a client; and the one that processes the request is a server. Any machine could be a client or a server depending upon its function.

Does this answer your question? If not, please describe the problem a bit in more detail.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Is there anything other than this definition? I mean if i have 2 system then without making any request just by going through some system configuration or any file which shows any specific kind of property which proves whether its a client system or server?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rahul Naraniya
    Thanks for the quick reply. Is there anything other than this definition? I mean if i have 2 system then without making any request just by going through some system configuration or any file which shows any specific kind of property which proves whether its a client system or server?
    A server or client is defined by the function it performs; and you can definitely figure that out by looking at the system software. For example, a web server (the system that serves http requests) will most likely have Apache or NGINX web server installed.

But that said, the 'server' functionality or 'client' functionality can be written using multiple languages and technologies. If you are familiar with the server software or client software; you can quickly figure that out by looking at the installed software or by inspecting the code.
  • Rahul Naraniya
    Rahul Naraniya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A server or client is defined by the function it performs; and you can definitely figure that out by looking at the system software. For example, a web server (the system that serves http requests) will most likely have Apache or NGINX web server installed.

But that said, the 'server' functionality or 'client' functionality can be written using multiple languages and technologies. If you are familiar with the server software or client software; you can quickly figure that out by looking at the installed software or by inspecting the code.
    Thanks.. Query solved.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Rahul Naraniya
    ..... without making any request just by going through some system configuration or any file which shows any specific kind of property which proves whether its a client system or server?
    At server level, you can check if the system is listening on specific port numbers, then it'll be a server. Run in your system:
    netstat -na
    For example a HTTPS server may be listening on port 443.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Are you a calceophile or an everyday person who just needs good shoes to support his leg muscles? If you belong to the category or happen to possess a geeky...
Lenovo Vibe B, a budget 4G LTE smartphone, has recently been spotted by a third party Mumbai based retailer, Mahesh Telecom which has confirmed the availability of this device in...
In a bid to make machine learning a transformational tool for organizations, Google has unveiled a cloud-based Video Intelligence Application Programming Interface (API) that helps locate the exact frame and...
American motorcycle manufacturer Harley-Davidson has added a new member, The Harley-Davidson Street Rod 750 in its entry level range, to thrill the bike lovers in India. The new Street Rod...
Can anyone help me with the module of spur gear design. I know that module is basically distance between addendum and pitch circle for a 20 degree full depth involute...