Civil engineering very simple question

Hi Im a mechatronics engineering student. I got a civil engineering job and i had to study form a scratch. Here is the question im looking at. I don't under stand the answer.

Please help and sorry for such a childish post haha 😛

problem

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is nothing Civil Engg about this. Lbs and meters are mixed in the problem. Does not matter.
    The torque on the pivot C will be 6000 x 5 (Distance of CG of bar from pivot) This will be equal to the sum of the tension loads in the cable at A and B. The vertical force at A will have to take into account the angle the cable makes at A (Hence 3/sqrt(34)).
    The tensile load divided by the area of the cable gives the value for stress.
  • Worapat Sopa
    Worapat Sopa
    A.V.Ramani
    There is nothing Civil Engg about this. Lbs and meters are mixed in the problem. Does not matter.
    The torque on the pivot C will be 6000 x 5 (Distance of CG of bar from pivot) This will be equal to the sum of the tension loads in the cable at A and B. The vertical force at A will have to take into account the angle the cable makes at A (Hence 3/sqrt(34)).
    The tensile load divided by the area of the cable gives the value for stress.

Thank you very much. I have forgotten a lot of math over the last few years. May i ask about the part "(Hence 3/sqrt(34))" ? I assume it has something to do with Pythagoras.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Worapat Sopa
    I assume it has something to do with Pythagoras.
    Exactly. If you look at the small right triangle under solution youcan see that the vertical component of the tension acting along the slanting cable is equal to 3/sqrt(34). The sum of vertical upward moments should be equal and opposite to the torque on the bar if unsupported.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Browser based gaming platform in name Airconsole. Desktop browser as screen and smartphone as controller. Register to official website Airconsole and get confirmation code to synchronise smartphone.
Need the best place for Carnival supplies or looking for a Cosmetologist? Facebook might be of help. Known to stop at nothing when it comes to enhancing user experience and...
Developed by the scientists at Purdue University and the Federal Polytechnic School of Lausanne, 'Hydricity' combines solar thermal plants with hydrogen production technology to synthesize energy at a greater scale...
Have you ever dreamed of going back in time and catching a glimpse of the ancient universe? Sounds like a science fiction film, right? Well, astronomers are doing it almost...
A group of researchers from MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) have created a new text messaging system called Vuvuzela which guarantees untraceable communication between two parties on...