Reduced Instruction Set Computer

and

Complex
Instruction Set Computer

which one has different register size ? and why

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    As far as I remember my Computer Architecture subject.

In CISC computers size of registers vary.

RISC have general purpose registers. All of same sizes.
    CISC have different size registers because register sets consist of both Data registers and address registers. So size of both kind of regsiters vary based on computer architecture.

Please correct me if I have imparted any wrong information. 😀

@q8surgeon I guess you are more fresh to these topics so can you put some more light on both these topics here if you have enough time to do so. 😀

Thanks
    Happy to help
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    I hope RISC has got more registers..As register access is faster than memory access, it is logical to have as many registers as possible and still be efficient. Register memory is the fastest memory but it is also the most costly and therefore there are cost limitations..
  • Predictor
    Predictor
    miniy
    I hope RISC has got more registers..As register access is faster than memory access, it is logical to have as many registers as possible and still be efficient. Register memory is the fastest memory but it is also the most costly and therefore there are cost limitations..
    I think they typically do. The old AMD 29000 RISC processor had 192 general-purpose registers, each 32-bits wide.

-Will Dwinnell
    Data Mining in MATLAB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, i'm new to both the forums and electronics. the only technical knowledge i have is from doing GCSE resistant materials product design, so i kind of know what...
I m a student of 3rd year ECE , and like all others , i do have the same query how to get a decent summer internship. Do i need...
which electronic device/gadget/appliance acts as a purely capacitive load?? normally most loads practically existing are close to pure inductances or pure resistances... can anyone please give some examples of purely...
Find the number consisting of 9 digits in which each of the digits from 1 to 9 appears only once. This number should satisfy the following requirements: a). The number...
Hi to all can anyone sujeest me some e-book for java specially for beginieers with compleate referrences . Post Rule 1 . Do not use SMS language. 2 .Please also...