Chrome Reviews [Chrome on Vista]

This is my first post on CE using Google's new Chrome Browser. Let me tell you - I haven't spent much time on Chrome so this is just a first look at Chrome.

1. Downloading: The download did not take long time. I had to download an installer first. Which then downloaded the main setup. Considering the fact that right now I'm on pathetic 144 kbps connection, the whole downloading process took about 15 minutes.

2. Installing & Launching the browser: Installation took about 45 seconds and I was offered to close my FireFox so that Chrome could import all my settings. I think that's dumb ;-) . Why should I close Firefox? Is Google suggesting that Firefox will eventually have to shut its shop? Muwahahaha...

Jokes apart, Chrome could successfully import all settings, favorites et al. Finally, Chrome launched!

...and it launched very quickly. I mean it.

3. First look -

[​IMG]

4. The browser looks nice. The tabs open on the top and they slide very well when you close the tabs. I tried setting my default home page and I was pleased to get a choice of recently visited sites [ from FireFox ].

5. I also noticed that the text fields were highlighted whenever I was typing some text into them. That's a nice feature! I believe, its copied from Opera.

6. Whenever you open a new tab, it shows you five most visited sites [thumbnails] and also gives you bookmarks. I guess many people will find this feature useful. I personally prefer my new tabs to open blank.

7. There's supposed to be an 'incognito' mode in the browser. I'm not able to spot it. Probably, because I should rather be asleep right now. I woke up at 5:20 am 😒.

Now, that's first look at the browser. I encourage you to try this software and post your comments/reviews in this thread.

On a personal note 😀 : I believe browsers can be a lot better than the existing browsers (including Chrome). Only if we had enough enthusiasts on CE - we'd have kicked off CE Browser project. Anyway, I must patiently wait for that day.

Replies

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Here are my $0.02 -
    1. the installation was pretty fast, downloading,et al.
    2. page loading is kind of faster, its supposed to keep on getting faster thanks to google gears
    3. i can view more of the web page
    4. html rendering is knocked off, it needs to be tweaked. i like the rendering of the gecko engine better.

all in all, people have this preconceived notion that whatever google touches is gold, but i will stick to my firefox.

Ohh.. and one more thing ...
    PS - Ganpati bappa moryaa!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, Google proudly announced that its using WebKit - the engine that Safari uses.

I'll be switching between Chrome & Firefox 3. Firefox 3 is going to be my browser of choice for months to come.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    Google Chrome is nice but the main thing is that it needs much more customization & upgradration being an open source browser.Check on Google"Chromium" latest open system software.
    Regards,
    J2R
  • devesh
    devesh
    The 'Bookmarks' Show Off is too good to attract anyone but i believe Firefox is much better.there is some issues with the javascripts and flashplayer based webpages.
    May be the coming version will show something good.For now its firefox to rock on the show...
  • kamskans
    kamskans
    Chrome has crashed so many times for me.I'm switching to firefox3. The only thing that is good about che=rome is the incognito mode:sshhh: but apart from that I feel it uses up a lot of the resources. Firefox does the job well and good. And there are a lot more add ons in fire fox that chrome doesnt!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kamskans
    Chrome has crashed so many times for me.I'm switching to firefox3. The only thing that is good about che=rome is the incognito mode:sshhh: but apart from that I feel it uses up a lot of the resources. Firefox does the job well and good. And there are a lot more add ons in fire fox that chrome doesnt!!
    Chrome is still a baby. So comparing it with FireFox (at this point of time) isn't fair, I guess.

I switch back to Firefox 3, too.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans this is rohan subbaiah here.I m totally confused over my further studies,i hav decided bout doin my MS but i dont know which field should i go into...

hi

hello everyone,
Hi I am in Electrical Engineering - final year student. I have to make a major project in this semester. I have some ideas. 1) Wireless Electricity transmission. This is...
Hello Kolkata... Hows Life & Hows activity rolling going on with CE...lets Meet.I will soon put on the Date of CE MEET in Kolkata. CEian @ Kolkata lets put your...
Hi, i wud like to ask u a question, to which i require a very good reply from u all.the question is: wat kind of inventions in the field of...