Chrome OS Vs. Windows

Finally: Official Google Blog: Introducing the Google Chrome OS

Google Operating System is coming and it's going to be called 'Chrome'.

While Google is building an operating system from scratch, Microsoft is doing it since years.

What is your opinion on Chrome Vs Windows?

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Great concept. However, Chrome as a full-fledged mainstream OS might not be ready for some time to come. First off, the biggest problem it will face (in India, at least) is the quality of the internet connection. To run an operating system entirely off the internet, with minimum time lag, you will need Mbps connections, with no download limit. Sadly, these are expensive as of now. Unless they become cheaper, things will not take off as expected.

That being said, I would love to see Google come up with open source operating system because, lets face it, Google has style. Whatever services Google has offered till now have been top-notch. Take the search engine or mail or anything else for that matter!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think quality of Internet connection is a problem in many countries. Google's focusing on everything-web-based! Google's taking slow steps and it gives Microsoft to prepare for the competition ahead. Probably Windows 8 [or whatever it'll be called] will migrate to web too; but it's certainly not an easy step. The hardware [and our own habits] need to be upgraded and the adoption is going to be very challenging.

That being said, I would love to see Google come up with open source operating system because, lets face it, Google has style. Whatever services Google has offered till now have been top-notch. Take the search engine or mail or anything else for that matter!!
    Google's been good at designing products and launching them. However, lot of Google products have short life-span. Ubuntu and other similar flavors haven't been able to crack into people's live despite being available for free! Google will have to learn something from them.

However, I see a competitive market - which is good for us, the consumers.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    You stole my show Biggie! I was about to post on this. Anyway!

I'm analysing it more from a business point of view. In my opinion, Google is taking a risk by getting into the Microsoft territory. I dont see any reason behind one more free OS. Google is already losing the share of online advertising pretty significantly over last couple of years. It should concentrate only on making the web a better place.

Ubuntu didn't quite trouble Windows because I dont think there was a need of a 'free-for-all' OS to be launched. But you never know Google. They are notorious for getting money out of a 'nothing' product. It will all depend on their marketing.

Moreover they are putting every thing online, which kinda makes it very difficult for remote users. Not all countries have sufficient bandwidth. (Sadly India is the fore runner here). Having said that, Google's move to put every thing on its own servers also suggests that Google is indeed looking at the future. CHrome OS can be successful in all cloud computing setups, which anyway has every thing online.

Google's current CEO Eric Schmidt has a history of competing with Microsoft. Do a li'l search on him and you will find out that he has been trying to thwart every plan of our old Billy since his days in Sun and Novell back in ninties. In fact he was also said to be instrumental in preventing Microsoft's hostile takeover bid on Yahoo. So has this emerged out of an old rivalry? Who knows... anyway, thats not the point here.

May be the engineers will applaud Google's move and make Chrome OS a hit. The Chrome Browser however haven't been able to thwart IE. It might have eaten Firefox's share though. Let's wait and watch what Chrome OS has got. On a strategy part, I'll give it a thumbs down.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I agree, it is not a wise move from a business point of view. But Google may have a surprise up its sleeve!!

The main problem, I think that people have, in switching from Windows to Linux is the use of terminal and non availability of their favourite applications under Linux.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Open OS is awesome. Linux has clicked, and GOogle name itself symbolises innovation for me( sorry Maro cant help but appreciate Google)
    The infromation in blog already mentions that the OS is targeted for suers who are mostly on web. So it should be an added advantage for web users.
    apart from that, the relase is goign to be in 2010 so there migth be many more interesting features to come.

I support CHrome OS , Its MS shoud start buckling up if they really want peopel to BUY MS OS when they might get equally good OS for free 😁
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    I'm not sure if every thing for free is such a good idea. Google sucks when it comes to support.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Quoting Mr. Sunder Pichai, VP Product development for Google, here just for the sake of discussions-->
    “We designed Google Chrome for people who live on the web — searching for information, checking email, catching up on the news, shopping or just staying in touch with friends. However, the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web. It’s our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be.”
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    It’s our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be.”
    Cool line, if they can do something good. Well, cannot say anything about this new OS without use but still this is true every new product launched in market always need some SOLID reason[either functionality wise or either marketing wise] to attract people towards it.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    shalini_goel14
    Cool line, if they can do something good. Well, cannot say anything about this new OS without use but still this is true every new product launched in market always need some SOLID reason[either functionality wise or either marketing wise] to attract people towards it.
    Google's sole aim is ... beat Microsoft in their territory. 😁

Need to wait for another one year to see Google OS.

-CB
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Provided you have tons and tons of bandwidth available, this might actually prove to be a boon. Since you will have only the basic OS setup on your hardware, think of the savings in terms of disk space!!!

But one important aspect we're forgetting is privacy!! Will our data be secure?? How can we be sure that Google will not give out users' data when subpoenaed by a US court??
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    Chrome OS is utterly mind-blowing,but if it lacks Windows application compatibility, it will merely be competing for a share of the high single-digit to low double-digit market share that Apple and Linux currently battle over. I highly doubt this is Google’s intention.
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    Google has been working on this from last couple of years and the best part is they are making it for more performance rather than throwing up all the features in. So I think it is going to be good one. Open source OS are becoming popular in developers at least and 80% of them do use them.

I think the + plus point in the competition will be the speed of the OS, the Android by Google got popular due to it's speed. And if that carries to Chrome then microsoft should be ready for hard times because their new OS W7 is really stupid, I tried the Beta version and it is slow, it requires huge hardware(luckily I had them). And worst part, it can't improve, they proved it from Windows Vista to Windows 7 journey, they didn't improve at all.

Still, it will take years to defeat Microsoft but, surely Acer agreeing to distribute Chrome and Android will make the Microsoft prices drop at least 30%. That's my estimate. 😀
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    mad_scientist
    But one important aspect we're forgetting is privacy!! Will our data be secure?? How can we be sure that Google will not give out users' data when subpoenaed by a US court??
    Just read the agreement before installing. 😉 This question arised from Google's plan of having online hard drive storage system and well Google has not made any comment on this yet.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    A little out of context here, Microsoft has just launched the 'free' version of MS office. They are planning to take Google head on in the online business. Frankly I was never a fan of Google docs or spreadsheet. I dont know if they were widely used.

Seems MS is eating it's own share of paid MS Office home edition 😁
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    MS office is one of the product which is among one of the main money maker for Microsoft; its Google only who forced MS to launch the MS office online.

-CB
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    I dont think they were threatened by Google. Open office looks a more serious competition.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Its probably more of an argument between centralized and cloud computing. The latter does provide some convenience and portability, but saving your own personal data on external locations is quite a risk. Data protection acts are not consistent throughout the world, and there are times when those data can be lost or hacked.

In addition, since Chrome OS is meant for lightweight applications (eg Netbooks), performance hungry applications such as simulators and renderers would probably need to be distributed across the network as well. Thats fine for a LAN environment, but it wont bode well across the latent plagued Internet.

I suppose Chrome OS is targetted for a different use entirely. It would probably sway those users who only use the computer for lightweight tasks, has a reliable internet connection, and are not really concerned with the risks for data loss or protection. Important docs would still need to be stored offline in this case.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Chrome OS is meant for light applications only to start with. Eventually it will drill itself further down. But it all depends upon the availability of bandwidth at the user location, which is still a problem. That is why I said it can be a good option in case of cloud computing. Because one of their aim is to keep things as light as possible. I'm not sure if Google will launch a Chrome Mobile. But thats any body's guess... they might 😀

The fact that its free makes it even more attractive.

PS: Data protection is an issue. But if you look at the future, you have to deal with it. Virtual office is the next generation's focal point. For sure!
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Google's plan, based on the theory that access to the Internet is now the most important feature of any computing device, would be separate from its Android system already available for smartphones and soon for small PCs.

Now have a look what Balmer Said:

"I don't know if they can't make up their mind or what the problem is over there, but the last time I checked, you don't need two client operating systems," said Ballmer. "It's good to have one."

Ref: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Mate many will still like on Windows since it's for years mate...
    But Google OS is brand new and there are many features lacking in it...
  • patraanjan23
    patraanjan23
    I will go for both.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Folks, I can't believe this: Slowdown? Cognizant to promote, hike employees' salaries- ITeS-Infotech-The Economic Times What do you think?
hello, please suggest the mechanical project which is easy to understand and less costly please.
Company profile: Fluendo Embedded SL is the developer of the industry leading, open source media center application Moovida. Moovida is forging a new market and stands as the thought leader...
General things that comes to our mind when we speak about the windows Vs linux is, Windows, awesome look😎, ready made softwares availability😁,support etc., Linux distros, freedom to work with...
Friends, I'm wondering where the man who changed the world of computing forever is these days! I mean, come on! He can't be sitting home and watching stupid TV programs!...