Chris Guillebeau and The $100 Startup are in Bangalore 7PM 3/12/2012

An opportunity for Bangalore CEans to meet Chris Guillebeau at Crosswords Book Store J.P. Nagar at 7PM on Monday the Third December 2012 for a special discussion session of his book :
The $100 Startup

I am a regular at this store. However I have not seen any meeting place. May be there is a hall of sorts tucked away.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's cool. If you all meet, do take a snap with Chris ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    @#-Link-Snipped-# suggests:
    That's cool. If you all meet, do take a snap with Chris ๐Ÿ˜€
    That would be really nice.
    #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-# and all the others, any ideas?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir, JP Nagar . not too from Central Silk Board.
    I will make it by 7 30 PM. 7 would be very difficult- thanks to heavy traffic jams at BTM layout/

ET might as well turn up by 7 30ish, is there some ticket or something we will have to buy to attend the discussion? nothing as such is mentioned on the webpage though
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Will be there around 7! I was aware of the event, but never knew it was today.
    Never been to the place though.
    Looks like another job for.. Google Maps! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Very sorry, Durga. Had some design people from Japan. I was stuck in Hosur and returned just a while back. I so much wanted to meet Chris and more so you people. Quite frustrating at times when you cannot call your time your own.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Ramani Sir,
    ๐Ÿ˜€ Those things keep happening, myself and ET were feeling not so good when we saw a 70+ yr man from behind and could not follow him. We thought it was you and we missed meeting you!We shall soon meet up sir!!

The whole session lasted till 8 30 (I think) with lots of questions and answers . There were few good questions and few draggy ones!
    we bought the book . Frankly I was kinda happy to know entrepreneurship doesnot really have be a business model, development and all, it can also be only for survival , for making a living out of it to meet ones own bills rather than trying to 'lead' build empire. It's not neceesary to turn it into a business model an all.
    Will read the book at my own pace now that it is with me!
    Thanks for informing about it! I did a little homework on him before I went there .
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    It was a nice environment to be in. Other than the lively discussion with Chris, people came forward and shared ideas, and many new possible joint ventures were sparked right at the venue ๐Ÿ˜€

Chris claims that the book has practical exercises on taming, organizing and shortlisting ideas wildly flying about your head . This is going to be of real use for me ๐Ÿ˜

Me and Durga was really feeling at loss thinking that the elder person we missed meeting was you. We shall plan a meeting again at ease!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Durga, ET, really missed meeting up. Why not you two write up a more detailed piece for us all for the news category. You may trigger more CEans. If you two found it interesting, many more would be too.
    Glad it was not a dud programme.
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    I've written a brief blog post on the event. It isn't very long, rather just the essence:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    eternalthinker
    I've written a brief blog post on the event. It isn't very long, rather just the essence:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Just went through it. Can you tell us more about Haruki Murakami's books? Which ones did you read?
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    He's a Japanese author, and the writing is more of a fantasy, surreal type. Often the storyline has some supernatural element in it, but not explicitly, rather in an open ended and subtle way. Above all, the writing is so good ๐Ÿ˜€

I've started with a few short works. To mention a few:
    • The Elephant vanishes (this is a collection of short stories)
    • Sputnik sweetheart (novel)
    • After dark (novel, this one just pulls you to the world in the story, very well written)
    I have ordered Wind-up bird Chronicle, which is said to be one of his best works. Chris said that he's covered all of Murakami's novels ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I was a little late for the evening. But on whole the event was neat.
    One point what Chris mentioned and amused me was that People like Gandhi proclaimed INdia as a self sufficient nation and we should be using stuff made in our country and he supported making things by ourselves , but still many Indians prefer working for others , so why is this ?
    The 100$ STartup bok doesnot really teach entreprenuership, as I started skimming the book - it rather gives examples of people who took the big leap.

The book is definlty not about building huge business empires, one lady from the crowd aptly questioned - how many of 100$ startups turned to empires?
    Chris answered -" not many!" ,

so I realised the idea of 100$ startup is not about building empires, if you want you can, but its more about how one can do normal things and still make a living to pay ones own bills. this though sounded satisfactory

Also, there were questions from audience - such as forgoing ones job to take the big leap ok?? but what if one wants back up- Seems from discussion it is very much ok to give 2 -3 hrs a day to our projects while we stii work for someone else.

There were other budding entrprenuers in the group, who already had a job but were giving time to their own projects as well. We met with 2 sub people and 1 amonsgt them had no website nor a company name. All his work is via word-of-mouth and we were impressed to know his client base.

There were few sad stories too amonsgt the crowd, wehre someone had left job for 'freedom' and startes something of his own, but it did not work. So now he is again back wroking for someone and in not so interestign area.

On whole, the night ended with discussion of housewives , cooks,. chefs ๐Ÿ˜ and some great food ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Thanks ET! Read your blog. I am sure others would too.

Good of you to come through as well, Durga.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In a news that can put a smile to every engineer's face, we have IIT Madras' engineering graduates to have a very rich campus recruitment drive. For the first time...
Samsung Galaxy Note owners, get ready for the taste of Jelly Bean, Android 4.1.2. SamMobile has leaked the N7000XXLSA test firmware. So, what does the upgrade bring to your Note?...
hi friends, could anyone tell me the principle of working of an ordinary wrist watch. I am talking about the watch that requires a small cell(circular in shape) and that...
hi, when we derive the expression for poynting vector, we write E.(derivative of E) = [(derivative of) (E*E)] /2. I want to ask from where does this factor 2 come....
There are tons of different ways of studying. What works well for one, may not be good for the other at all. And when we take the Engineering subjects into...