Choosing elective: industrial robotics OR automobile engineering

Hello,

I seek advice, i am going to the 3rd semester of my course & i have been asked to choose a free elective, i am confused to choose amongst industrial robotics & automobile engineering...

Thanks...

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Re: Confused!

What do you wish to pursue? Both the fields are good. You can read about the syllabus of the subjects in your college's lesson plans.
    The best person to answer this question for you is you. Ask yourself, and you will get an answer.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Re: Confused!

deeps31=>
    Hello,

I seek advice, i am going to the 3rd semester of my course & i have been asked to choose a free elective, i am confused to choose amongst industrial robotics & automobile engineering...

Thanks...
    yes you have to give more information.
  • deeps31
    deeps31
    hey i have pasted the syllabus here, please check :

09ME248 INDUSTRIAL ROBOTICS
    Credit 3:0:0

Objectives:

To give an overview of the components, sensing elements used programming techniques and applications of robots

UNIT I
    Introduction

Definition of Robot - Basic Concepts - Robot configurations - Types of Robot drives -Basic robot motions -Point to point control - Continuous path control.

UNIT - II
    Components and Operations

Basic control system concepts - control system analysis - robot actuation and fed back, Manipulators - director and inverse kinematics, Coordinate transformation - Brief Robot dynamics.
    [FONT="] [/FONT] Types of Robot and effectors -Grippers - Tools as end effectors - Robot/End - effecter interface.
    UNIT III
    Sensing and Machine Vision

Range sensing - Proximity sensing - Touch sensing - Force and Torque sensing. Introduction to Machine vision - Sensing and digitizing - Image processing and analysis.

UNIT IV
    Robot Programming

Methods - languages - Capabilities and limitation - Artificial intelligence - Knowledge representation - Search techniques - AI and Robotics.

UNIT V
    Industrial Applications

Application of robots in machining - Welding - Assembly - Material handling - Loading and unloading - CIM -Hostile and remote environments.

Text Book
    1. Mikell P. Groover, Mitchell Weiss, "Industrial Robotics, Technology, Programming and Applications ", McGraw Hill International Editions, 1st Edition, 2000

References
    1. Richard D. Klafter, Thomas A. Chmielewski and Michael Negin, "Robotic Engineering - An Integrated Approach", Prentice Hall India, 2002

2. Ibrahim Zeid, �CAD/CAM Theory and Practice�, McGraw Hill, 2003
    3. K.S. Fu., R.C.Gonalez, C.S.G.Lee, " Robotics Control sensing ", Vision and Intelligence, McGraw Hill International Edition, 1987.

[FONT="] #-Link-Snipped-# [/FONT]
    [FONT="] 09ME254 BASIC AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING[/FONT]
    Credit: 3:0:0
    Objective:
    This course deals mainly with Basic concepts of Automobile Engineering and types of IC Engines.
    UNIT I
    Introduction

Classification of vehicles, body and load (definition only) - Layout of an automobile chassis, function of major components of a vehicle and introduction to their different systems such as frame, transmission (clutch and gear box), braking system, steering and suspension systems (just line diagrams and utility)

UNIT II
    Thermodynamics

First and second law of thermodynamics (concept only), Otto cycle, diesel cycle, fuel used, properties of fuels, air requirement for complete combustion of fuel

UNIT III
    IC Engines

Concept of two stroke and four stroke petrol and diesel engines and their applications to automobiles. Various terms, specification of automobile engines

UNIT IV
    Automotive Systems

Automobile fuel system: Fuel tank, filters, spark plug, ignition systems, carburetor, MPFI, CRDI, fuel injection - Automobile cooling system: Air and water cooling, radiator, fan, water pump - Auto lubrication system: Lubricants, necessity and desirable properties.

UNIT V
    Auto Industry in India

History, leading manufacturers, development in automobile industry, trends, new products

Text Books
    1. Automobile engineering by Ramalingam.k(2004), Scitech publications, chennai
    2.Automobile Engineering by Dr. Kirpal Singh(2003), Strandard Publishers, Delhi

References
    1. Automobile Engineering by RB Gupta, Satya Parkashan, New Delhi
    2.Thermal Engineering by P L Ballaney, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi

given a chance i would opt for both 😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Which one are you 'passionate' about?
  • Differential
    Differential
    Given a chance I too would go for both! 😀 Both of them are interesting.

but if I were you, I would have gone for Automobile. I like automobiles and it is an never-ending field. I think for career, it has more oppurtunities than robotics. For higher studies it has more options available too.

Let us know, what you choose.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Personally, I won't go for Automobile. Reasons being:-
    1) The syllabus is quite basic. Nothing much. You will learn more than 65% of it in Thermal Sciences and Machine Designs.

2) More people take up Automobiles, so it is a crowded path/field to be in. It pays to stand out of the flock.

3) Though both are introductory, the robotics course looks better.
  • deeps31
    deeps31
    ok... i prefer robotics to automobile engineering, anyways thanks a ton people! 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i need some design notes on foot print power generation so pls help me out
Download 773 Free MP3s from Amazon (Music) Love a little unquestionably legit, free music? Then head on over to Amazon's Free MP3 downloads section to choose from among 773 totally...
I am the B.Tech student of 2 nd year. I am good at robotics and won some prizes in some of the competetions. I am expecting a summer training in...
Today, I got my internet and within few minutes I faced 2 issues. 1) For some unknown reason, I got a message on screen saying "Internet explorer has encountered a...
Does anyone know how to create a marker bar which shows the line number and can be used to insert breakpoints?