choice between java and .net

hiiiiiii
i am fourth year B.tech(computer science) student.I know java and i hava an opportunity to work in .net..
so should i switch over to .net or should learn something else...which could be a better option for my career??
please suggest me what should i go for??

Replies

• Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    knowledge of java depends on what level ,if you find java interesting and keen to move further in it.then you should opt java .As far as career concern both are good.But you should be prepare to take any technology cause mostly it happens with the freshers that they got training in technologies like java ,they can also get work in net and Vice-versa or will provide them other environment .
  • neha1
    neha1
    thanks dear..but is it fine to stick to just one language being ignorant to others...??and most importantly i have seen nowadays people are asking much about .net...correct me if i am wrong
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    java has become a global language because of its portability feature and with the boom of the internet usage, its one of the most popular language today. But .net technology is gaining a lot of momentum as it is being heavily marketed and promoted by Microsoft. As we all know, they rule the operating system market with their Windows product and thus we can be sure that .net technology has a very foolproof future. A lot of software development takes place in .net technology. Check out MSDN's website and you will see the kind of involvement that everyone has into this.

the main advantage of .net is that it is very easy to learn and developing tools and softwares is a child's play with their wonderfully inclusive IDE 'Visual Studio' suite.

its today's world, learning multiple programming languages is a big advantage.

I work for my college's technical festival computer works group and I have co-developed a quizzing software for a national level quiz competition that takes place in our college. We initially started off with Vb.net just because one of my seniors suggested me to do so. We had no knowledge about it. Even our faculty members did not know about VB.net and therefore we were left alone to learn and work with it at the same time. took us some 3 months and we completed it. it was very easy to learn and easy to develop the program too.

Also, in many places where we had good ideas but could not implement those in vb.net(due to our lack of deep knowledge on it) , we used other languages such as javascript to execute those methods. What I mean to say is that it helped us 'cos we knew an alternative to the thing that we were deficient in.

according to me one must have knowledge of C/C++, Java, Asp/Vb.net , Python, javascript, Jsp, HTML and CSS. most of these are not too difficult to learn. Work out with smaller examples and eventually grow out with them. Resources are available all over the internet.

Specialize in one or two of your choice but have a working knowledge for the other important ones too. Knowing more helps, doesnt hurt 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is transmission line analysis?
The browser wars are getting intense. Chrome is releasing newer and faster versions quickly and its going to be very difficult for other browsers to match Chrome's speed. Opera is...
😕 guys help me out... how do i start learning .net?? any resources...? books??? lectures?? should i go for a class or something? help me :smile:
Is Symantec taking unfair competition strategy to beat their they-believe-to-be competitors? IObit / May 19, 2010 - Recently, IObit has received thousands of complaints from its users stating that Advanced...
It has been reported that the 3G bidding has come to an end after 34 days of aggressive bidding by various Indian telecom companies. The winners of the bidding will...