Chinese Badminton Players Disqualified From Olympics - Justified?

I'm sure all of you must have followed the whole 'badminton scandal'. The Chinese badminton team engineered the loss to gain advantage later and the Olympics organizing team thinks that this is not in-line with the spirit of the Olympics. The Chinese team has been disqualified from participating in the matches.

I'm surprised! It's team's decision to play to win or to lose. It's a part of their strategy. They didn't break any rules. Why should anyone care for their strategy? Sometimes you deliberately take a step back to gain advantage later.

In my opinion, the Chinese team should not have been disqualified unless they broke any rule. What's your take?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    May be Sport is not business or politics. Sport should be sport only.
  • graphite
    graphite
    Disqualifying on the basis of not playing game well is not justified. They should provide the valid reasons of their disqualification.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    More views, please?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    They shouldn't be disqualified ... Its was strategy(though it was more like politics), plus they didn't even broke any of olympics badminton rules.
    But I just saw a video in which; players were deliberately serving into net & hitting wide shots ,Also spectators booed on them... it was way too crazy than it sounds.
    Well, player is resigning from Badminton world ; She should stand up & Chinese people should support her.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Disqualifying for not playing well!!! Its wrong. My point of view, participating is more important then winning a game.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    It was strategy all right.. But you should see it from the perspective of the eager audience who paid money hoping to see the best of badminton players play. If you were in the audience watching the top seeds play, and all they did was give away the match willfully, you would definitely be enraged. You should be.

And hence they were disqualified for "Not trying their best to win a game". So, I think the disqualification is very much justified, at least from the perspective of the audience. If anyone should be blamed, the round-robin system that was introduced in this edition of the Olympics might be blamed. If that was not there, then every match would be a knock-out, and then every player would have given their best.

If you think about it, this does kill the spirit of the game, after all. In every sport, some aspect of the sport will definitely be governed by randomness, and the players should try and manage that randomness. Match-ups depend on the standings in the respective groups, and those standings mostly are random. It varies from tournament to tournament. But if we deliberately try to fix our standings in a group, then we taint the sport. If the match-ups pit a wildcard entry with a top seed, it's the bad luck of the wildcard, and nothing else.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The audience point of view is justified. The players should have 'acted' better 😀
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    That ignite a thought in my mind.

If Player would concede the match stating that he/she got injured in the very first set, even in that case you can not help audience.

Am i wrong?

But per me, and intentionally losing is against the spirit of the game and player should definitely be penalized.

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can we make remote which is useful for all purposes...Like operating tv,fan,ac....Etc...
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. Can anyone tell me where I can get some mechanical engineering ebooks free to download? I found some excellent materials from crazyengineers Resources...
A CrazyEngineers Meet is tentatively scheduled for the 1st of September, 2012 in Mumbai or Pune. Interested CEans who will be able to attend the Meet are requested to please...
Hello Friends, Myself "Troll_So_Hard" .... Name is pretty weird, aint it ?? so, am I 😉 Studying Electronics & Communication Engineering. I support F/OSS & everything that brings change in...
I want to do project on this topic . is it useful? I have no idea on how to do this . I am totally depending on this social network...