China operating system to end Android & iOS dominance

China doesn't want the Chinese countrymen to rely on foreign software on their mobile phones, tablets and television sets. The government of China has developed 'China Operating System' aka COS through collaboration between Shanghai Liantong (a network communication company) & the ISCAS aka Institute Of Software at the Chinese Academy of Sciences. Note that this is not the first time Chinese government tried to develop their own operating system. Their earlier attempt with Ophone, a firmware based on Android developed by Android Inc. prior to its acquisition by Google, didn't work out well.

The source code of the China Operating System will be open and it's Linux-based. The Chinese government wanted to break the monopoly of the foreign software and offer better localisation of the services viz. languages and cloud support.

china-smartphone-phone โ€‹

The launch event of the COS on 15th January showcased the operating system powering mobile phones, tablet computers and television set top boxes; but ironically offered feature set very similar to that of Android, iOS and even Windows mobile OS.

Coship Electronics, a Chinese company had recently released a similar, proprietary operating system called 960OS as an answer to the security and privacy concerns in Android and iOS. Coship claimed that their operating system will prevent the user's personal information being stolen.

Our thoughts: The success of a mobile operating system largely depends on the ecosystem built around it - comprising of apps, third-party developers, support system and choice offered to the end users. Android, iOS and Windows have been successful at it to some extent; but any new mobile operating system is going to find it extremely tough to break in. The China Operating System is going to face the same challenge. It's success will hugely depend on how rapidly the Government can build this ecosystem.

On a related thought - how many of you think India should also develop its own, 'India Operating System'?

Replies

• Suhel Inamdar
    Suhel Inamdar
    great.....
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On a related thought - how many of you think India should also develop its own, 'India Operating System'?
    i vote for it
  • hinesh
    hinesh
    On a related thought - how many of you think India should also develop its own, 'India Operating System'?[/quote]

Yes, It's very good thought.

And We have Pool of Software Engineers with their Experience and Knowledge that can be used.

I think Government should open a new sector where Recruiting top Engineers with experience and knowledge and flair for Nation to develope this type of Operating Systems to run on devices..

That will be good earning sector for government also will address a new vacancy while answering to world that we not only ahead in population but also in Knowledge.
  • Suhel Inamdar
    Suhel Inamdar
    8356-b70024f7a8916224446e3429c4492a22 copy Coming soon...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I remember people saying we need to think Global - America's facebook is India's facebook. America's Google is India's Google. Now, looks like people want India's Operating System to be World's Operating System ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    China Operating System - COS
    India Operating System - iOS ? ๐Ÿ˜›

Can anyone tell me why there's this obsession with i as prefix these days?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    India Operating System aka iOS -> Awesome! We rule the world by proxy!
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    A good move by Chinese and i prefer more alternatives where i can choose the best.
    if it was a opensource, it would be a bonus for mobile giants .
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    India Operating System aka iOS -> Awesome! We rule the world by proxy!
    Technically that would mean BOSs (Bharath Operating System). ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

P.S.: Do we really need another operating system for mobile? The world is already in enough chaos right? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anoop Mathew
    Technically that would mean BOSs (Bharath Operating System). ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    We already have BOSS, just incase if you don't know, based on Debian. Home | BOSS Linux
    IDK if developers have dropped the project or not.
  • Aditya Deshmukh
    Aditya Deshmukh
    COS is a good idea for Chinese market. As it is mentioned, it is an open source OS and China have huge no of developers, it can be a promising mobile OS. Of course, in Chinese market only.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Abhishek Rawal
    We already have BOSS, just incase if you don't know, based on Debian. Home | BOSS Linux
    IDK if developers have dropped the project or not.
    I believe the BOSS project is still on. I heard Anokha is the latest version.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    lovebox
    I believe the BOSS project is still on. I heard Anokha is the latest version.
    I would love to try it out.
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    hinesh
    I think Government should open a new sector where Recruiting top Engineers with experience and knowledge and flair for Nation to develop this type of Operating Systems to run on devices..

That will be good earning sector for government also will address a new vacancy while answering to world that we not only ahead in population but also in Knowledge.
    Well, that would not be a good idea. Projects like these should be a very tightly running ship. Should not be any bureaucracy or red tape should be involved.

Moreover when mobile OSs are concerned the general response form public is borderline xenophobic. Very few people wants to change the way they do things. The availability of cheap android phones spoiled everyone with cost effective choices. App gap is the real elephant in the room that no new OS makers wants to confront.

If we look at the recent Jolla confirms layoffs, restructuring, and also considering the move made by BlackBerry to switch to android the survivability of any new mobile OS is very very difficult.

For those who see a chinese secure mobile phone as a boon, well I think it is not. Maybe it is very specific for chinese to run their secure communications stuff. I don't think the cOS can do something that Android or Windows can't.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In the mad frenzy of smartphone launches, Micromax has come up with a new phone in its Canvas series called - Micromax Canvas MAd with a unique feature in India....
1. Title:EQUILIBRIO 2. Description:Students of ITGGV are organizing a National level TechFest this year named EQUILIBRIO 2K14 which is to be held from 22nd Jan. โ€“ 24th Jan.2014. containing more...
Wish you many many Happy returns of the day @eternalthinker Have a great year ahead ! ๐ŸŽ‰
Huawei has launched four new smartphones in the Indian market. It has expanded its Ascend line of Android smartphones with the launch of Ascend G700, Ascend G610, Ascend Y511 and...
Hi I am looking to hire some software programmers from North India region, Preferably from Punjab If you are interested, then Please send me your CV on my email id:...