Charge Your Phone In Just 10 Minutes With New Li-Ion Batteries

The only thing all of us invariably hate about our phones is that they eat up battery too soon and take hours to charge. How do you like the idea of charging your mobile phones or other gizmos in just 10 minutes? Interesting, right? The dream would soon turn into reality and you should thank the researchers at the University Of California, Riverside Bourns College Of Engineering for making it possible through 3D, silicon-decorated, cone-shaped cluster for Li-Ion battery anodes. The new configuration makes charging the battery super-fast!

Lithium-Ion batteries have become the de-facto standard of the power source for most of our electronic gadgets. However, these batteries not only add to the overall weight of the gadget but also occupy considerable size inside the gadget. In order to solve problems related to Li-Ion batteries, the researchers Mihri and Cengiz Ozkan focused on Silicon, a new material for anode because of its 10x bigger charge capacity compared to regular graphite based anodes. The change allows 63% increase in the total cell capacity and make the battery about 40% lighter.

10-minute-charging-battery
Mihri and Cengiz Ozkan in their lab​

The prototype batteries developed by the researchers showed impressive cycling stability and very high reversible capacity. The batteries could be charged 16x faster compared to the most commonly used Li-Ion batteries.

We'd definitely love to have these batteries available for commercial use. After all, who'd not want to charge their cell phones in minutes than waiting for hours?

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• vishal Lokhande
    vishal Lokhande
    Definitely this could be game changer for phones when available for commercial use...😁
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    Silicon indeed is a very good anode, and its abundance in eart is the added advantage. But there are other potential material as well. Al, Mg even Sn can be used but that need considerable study.
  • Karthikeyan jaisankar
    Karthikeyan jaisankar
    I thought the image will shows the Li-ion battery view... 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

XOLO has today launched its first Windows 8.1 OS running tablet called the 'Xolo Win', which is incidentally also the first AMD processor powered tablet in India. It is modeled...
hello sir! I am nazeer, I just written my b-tech final yr exms. I expected my aggregate of 60%.I think I having a better knowledge upon practical knowledge.what step can...
Bewakoof.com, the brand that sells creative merchandise, is co-founded by the duo from IIT Bombay (2011 Batch) Alumni - Siddharth Munot and Prabhkiran Singh. Self-motivated and passionate by nature, both...
Is there anyone who want to work with me on automobile project? I want a great team. If anybody interested please leave your comment
Hey there! I want to know any good 'free' resources to learn about CSS Animation 😀 Thanks in advance