CGPA to Percentage Conversion

Hello CEans,

How to convert CGPA (10 Point Scale) to Percentage?

Please help!

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I had read this generalised rule somewhere. But I am not sure.

If I have 7.9 CGPA, multiply it by 9.5= 75.05%

If I have 80%, CGPA= 80/9.5=8.42
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    CGPA is defined on all student's comparative performance.
    suppose in 100 mark paper highest mark secured by topper is 90 marks then.
    90 marks will be 100% and if student x will get 80 marks then
    CGPA of student x will be: 100/90*80 = 88.89 . on scale of 10 its 8.9.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    I found it on one of the CBSE sites,which validates both the points mentioned above:
    -----
    Full Form of CGPA ?

Cumulative Grade Point Average.
    What is CGPA ?

It is an overall indicative percentage of marks.
    How to calculate percentage from CGPA ?

Multiply the CGPA with 9.5 or use the above calculator to get the indicative percentage.
    Why multiply with 9.5 only ?

The Board took the result of the last five years and calculated the average marks of all candidates who had scored between 91 and 100. That average turned out to be close to 95 marks. Since the equivalent Grade Point for the 91-100 band (A1 grade) of marks is 10, it then divided the average result of 95 by 10. The result is 9.5.
    -----
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    So, isn't there a standard rule for doing that? What formula does calculator apply?
    Or will it vary from institution to institution?

Knowing this can help a lot to calculate it ourselves while applying to certain universities that specifically ask for CGPA instead of percentages.
  • Saijayadeep
    Saijayadeep
    To my Knowledge,it differs from univ to univ.Earlier when i needed i found one in internet and applied but later i got a formula from our Univ where the result differed.so its better to ask your Univ COE section for clear and clarifications if needed.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Ankita Katdare
    So, isn't there a standard rule for doing that? What formula does calculator apply?
    Or will it vary from institution to institution?

Knowing this can help a lot to calculate it ourselves while applying to certain universities that specifically ask for CGPA instead of percentages.
    There is a program of standard deviation (statistics). It takes the marks of topper as reference 10 pointer. and the lower extreme is 45-50% in VNIT( Which this means 0 pointer). Depending on the lower and higher maximum, windows of 1, 2, 3...10 pointer is decided. The window is usually. of 4-5 marks
    If topper gets below lower extremum everyone fails. (This of course never happens but only a worst case possibility.)
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thanks for sharing that information. I am sure it will be useful for many students.
    I wish we could collect the data for this conversion in one place.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Just wondering if this is correct method -

8.08 CGPA

8.08 / 10 = 0.808
    0.808 * 100 = 80.8%

3.44/4 CGPA

3.44 / 4 = 0.86
    0.86 * 100 = 86%
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    CGPA (cumulative grade point average) to percentage in BPUT (Biju Patnaik university of technology) where I studied:

Percentage = (CGPA-0.50) * 100

It is available in BPUT website!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    In VNIT cgpa is more of a grade. Although in some other Universities it is as stated by #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# .
    AA means 10 pointer, AB=9, BB=8, BC=7 and so on.
    The windows for CGPA are decided by individual professor's software.

Although the one who secures top most marks (not necessarily 100% and may be much less eg. 56%) is most likely to be awarded 10 pointer. This type grading system is dependent on relative ranking irrespective of difficulty level of paper in each academic year.
  • Amit Mittal 13
    Amit Mittal 13
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Just wondering if this is correct method -

8.08 CGPA

8.08 / 10 = 0.808
    0.808 * 100 = 80.8%

3.44/4 CGPA

3.44 / 4 = 0.86
    0.86 * 100 = 86%
    That would be an incorrect use of the Grading system in Engineering at least . Also the CBSE system is pretty well defined for the objectives it has stated.
  • atul-namdeo
    atul-namdeo
    In RGPV University if someone got 8.2 CGPA on scale of 10 then for Percentage you have to simply multiply CGPA with 10.

8.2 * 10 = 82.0%
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anyone aware of the formula used to convert percentage from CGPA for CBSE results?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I guess the simplest method to calculate percentage for CBSE results is this:

Subject wise Percentage = 9.5 x GP of the Subject.
    Overall Percentage = 9.5 x CGPA

So, if you have 8 CGPA, percentage: 9.5 x 8 = 76%
    So, if you have 9 CGPA, percentage: 9.5 x 9 = 85.5%

Here's a sample chart -

CGPA 10 means 95%
    CGPA
    9 means 85.5%
    CGPA
    8 means 76%
    CGPA
    7 means 66.5%
    CGPA 6
    means 57%
    CGPA
    5 means 47.5%
    CGPA 4
    means 38%
    CGPA 3
    means 28.5%
    CGPA 2
    means 19%
    CGPA 1 means 9.5%

If you aren't sure, please post your score below and we can calculate it for you. 👍

If both your Class 9 and Class 10 grades are displayed on your report card, REMEMBER that only Class 10 grades are used to calculate your CGPA.
  • karmahadik
    karmahadik
    i am from mumbai university & my pointer is 7.58 ,, please convert my pointers into percentage , according to mumbai university .

how to convert CGPA into percentage ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    karmahadik
    i am from mumbai university & my pointer is 7.58 ,, please convert my pointers into percentage , according to mumbai university .
    You have come this far from toddler to freaking soon-to-be-graduate, I am sure you can lookout at MHU website and find it out yourself too.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    karmahadik
    #-Link-Snipped-#

I have heard that the University of Mumbai adopted a new system of conversion. Here's a chart explaining the new system.

mumbai-university-cgpa-percentage

To simplify things, just multiply your CGPA with 9.00 to get your actual percentage.
    Most companies coming for campus placements require 6.75 CGPA which is equivalent to 60% or first class in Mumbai University.
  • amar broken heart
    amar broken heart
    I have done b.e from rgpv in grading system.when I apply btc form they ask me total marks and obtain marks then what I fill .my cgpa is 6.18 and percent is 61.80
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If the CBSE CGPA calculator is standard, I think we can definitely build on here on CrazyEngineers so that people will be able to calculate their CGPA quickly. I'm wondering if the same formula is applicable globally.
  • Jitendra Kumar Satapathy
    Jitendra Kumar Satapathy
    the formula is Percentage = (CGPA-0.50) * 10
    simply nothing else. But you can round up your CGPA with two decimal. For e.g. if your CGPA is 7.935 then % is (7.94-0.50)*10 = 74.4
  • AJISH PULIKKAL
    AJISH PULIKKAL
    (Ref.letter No. EE.IX/Misc/2013 -Dated 29.06.2013.) CALICUT UNIVERSITY BTech course from 2009 Admission Calculation of CGPA to Percentage is:,
    % of marks= (CGPA-0.5)x10
  • juned vhora
    juned vhora
    how to calculate CGPA for PGDCA..?
    7.9 CGPA
  • Mohd Zahid Abbas Rizvi
    Mohd Zahid Abbas Rizvi
    My university has CGPA system. Army is asking for marks of ask all semesters separately. How do i convert my cgps into marks. Plz reply fast.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The formula for conversion from CGPA to percentage has been discussed above. Please also visit the first page of this discussion for further details. We're trying to come up with an automatic converter that will let you do the calculation.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Mohd Zahid Abbas Rizvi
    My university has CGPA system. Army is asking for marks of ask all semesters separately. How do i convert my cgps into marks. Plz reply fast.
    I don't why is that difficult. Simply convert into CGPA into percentage.
    CGPA 10= 95%
    If your total marks are 100, the marks you got are 95.
    If your total marks are 300, the marks you got are 285.
    Similar thing can be applied to all subjects.

juned vhora
    how to calculate CGPA for PGDCA..?
    7.9 CGPA
    plz help me.how to calculate
    CGPA 7.9 means ≈ 75.1%
  • Ojo Ebenezer
    Ojo Ebenezer
    Hello, am from Nigeria my cgpa is 3.18 please help me to convert it to percentage. As soon as posible.5.00 scale
  • Manoj S.
    Manoj S.
    opeyemi
    Hello, am from Nigeria my cgpa is 3.18 please help me to convert it to percentage. As soon as posible.5.00 scale
    Hey,
    I don't know about Nigerian grading system so I am not sure if my solution would be correct.
    Anyway, almost all other sites tell to multiply CGPA with 9.5
    First convert the CGPA to a scale of 10, that would be (3.18*10)/5 = 6.36. So youre percentage is 60.4
    I'm not sure though.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    opeyemi
    my cgpa is 3.18
    Is that on the scale of 10 i.e. is it 3.18 / 10?
    If so, then the percentage could be ~ 33.3%
  • Siddhanth Kandul
    Siddhanth Kandul
    I have passed my 10th from Telangana state, I got "9.5" GPA.
    Please convert it into percentage...
  • Siddhanth Kandul
    Siddhanth Kandul
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Siddhanth Kandul
    In order to convert your overall CGPA into percentage, multiply it by 9.5.
    9.5 x 9.5 = ~ 90.3%
  • Siddhanth Kandul
    Siddhanth Kandul
    Ty! #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Shahnawaz Ansari
    Shahnawaz Ansari
    Very simple solution

(CGPA - 0.50) * 10 = ?% ANSWER
  • Yenumulaaravind
    Yenumulaaravind
    My cgpa is 6.53 and my percentage is?
  • Sagar Garg
    Sagar Garg
    It is the average of Grade Points obtained in all the subjects excluding additional 6th subject as per Scheme of Studies.
    Note: CGPA is not same as the percentage. There is a different process to calculate the percentage.
    You can calculate CGPA by Multiplying the CGPA with 9.5 to get the overall indicative percentage.

Why multiply with 9.5 only?
    The Board took the result of the last five years and calculated the average marks of all candidates who had scored between 91 and 100. That average turned out to be close to 95 marks. Since the equivalent Grade Point for the 91-100 band (A1 grade) of marks is 10, it then divided the average result of 95 by 10. The result is 9.5.

An indicative equivalence of Grade Point and Percentage of Marks can be assessed as follows:
    • Subject wise indicative percentage of marks = 9.5 x GP of the Subject.
    • Overall indicative percentage of marks = 9.5 x CGPA
    The above formula given by CBSE to convert grades into marks and percentage is only an approximation and not exact.

You can use this below Refrence table:

[​IMG]
  • Vaibhav Shinde
    Vaibhav Shinde
    i am from mumbai university... .THIS MAY HELP
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like CBSE Class 10 2017 results are out. Guys, if you have any questions about CGPA to percentage conversion for your score, do share with us in comments below. We would love to help you out.
  • Jahidul Islam
    Jahidul Islam
    My CGPA is 2.73 which represents "B-(70%)". However, I would like to know my cgpa in percentage.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

I think the Class XII board results are out and that the CBSE marks are based on your performance in theory and practicals. The Class XII final marks sheet contains grades (but no CGPA is calculated) as well as your numeric score.

Calculating your CGPA is not altogether essential since it is mentioned on the mark sheet and report card, but if you want to calculate your CGPA, you can follow the process below:

1. Get the grade points for the five main subjects.
    2. For example, subject 1 - 8, subject 2 - 9, subject 3 -: 10, subject 4 - 9, and subject 5 - 8
    3. Add these together. For example, 8+9+10+9+8
    4. Divide the cumulative figure by 5. For example 44/5 = 8.8
    5. Your CGPA is 8.8

Do ask below if you need any help with us.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I'd recommend posting your score so that we can help you calculate your CGPA. However, you can all follow the above formula to convert your CGPA to Percentage and vice versa. 

• sb khan
    sb khan

if i got 3.9 out of 4 and if 4 varies from 80 to 100 Marks . then how i will convert it into percentage marks pls.

• Rasika Wani
    Rasika Wani

How to calculate cgpa to percentage? Cgpa is less than 7.

• aayush tyagi
    aayush tyagi

Hi friend to convert CGPA to %age the simple way is multiply your CGPA with 9.5 u will surely get the required percetage

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

@Rasika Say your CGPA is 6. so, CGPA 6 ≈ 57%

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

A lot of students texting me on social media asking about CGPA to percentage for CBSE students. I think we have made it fairly clear in this thread. Let's first understand what it means for CBSE students.

If you calculate the average of Grade Points obtained in 5 subjects excluding additional 6th subject, you get your score.

CBSE ranks 10 class students only on the basis of CGPA on the scale of 10 and not on the basis of marks. The highest CGPA score you can have is 10 and the lowest you can have is 4. 

For applying to some colleges you are required to provide percentage instead of CGPA. In this case, simply multiply your CGPA with 9.5 and result will be your percentage.

For example. to convert 8.3 CGPA to percentage, we multiply it with 9.5 and the result is 78.85 which is your score in percent.

Reverse is true for converting percentage to CGPA - Divide your score by 9.5 and result will be your CGPA.

If you got 5 in Maths, 8 in English, 10 in Science, 6 in Social Studies and 7 in Hindi, then your CGPA will be (5+8+10+6+7)/5 = 36/5 = 7.2 CGPA.

• SuM s
    SuM s

May I know why cgpa to percentage formula vary from university to university... Which factor affect..plz reply...PSU job ask 60%. Some university deduct 0.75, some 0.5, some multiple 9.5..

University which deduct 0.75 will affect so much..why???

• Saijayadeep
    Saijayadeep

So great to see that the question which I posted back 5 years ago is still active in the forum. ;)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lenovo's doing well on the desktop and laptop computer markets and has launched the latest Thinkpad Twist in India at a price of Rs. 71000. On the specs side, the...
XBOX 720 or Durango will be an 'always on, always connected' system - reveals an XBOX internal document, according to VG247. Though the authenticity of the leaked documents haven't been...
I want to collect all four Vedas in their original Sanskrit form (with translation if possible, it will make my job less time consuming). I checked internet but could not...
can anybody provide links for PHP tutorials ???
Well this is worth reading here. Many wonder the stability of a particle is theoretical Here is one such which is almost proving that the Universe We are in is...