CE's official GYM Goers Association

This is our official association of regular gym goers. This association is being formed with an aim to spread health awareness among our engineers.

Nominate yourself and be a part of this association. Also, suggest ideas on what can we do to spread the awareness about physical fitness.

๐Ÿ˜Ž Healthy Engineer => Healthy World. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Official List of CEans -

[I'll keep on updating the list]

1. The Big K

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I have enough experience to become a trainer at gym. Nowadays, I have stopped going and have made my own diet chart and training schedule and am training at home.
    If anyone wants one I will oblige.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    So man, tips for gaining weight inspite of knowing you are not getting good food except fruits?. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Biggie, just a small note. You don't need to go to a gym to be healthy and fit ๐Ÿ˜€ Perhaps you can open this association to those who exercise on the field?

Unless of course, the intention was to share tips specifically for those training in gyms.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    shalini_goel14
    So man, tips for gaining weight inspite of knowing you are not getting good food except fruits?. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    What does your average diet chart look like?

ash
    Biggie, just a small note. You don't need to go to a gym to be healthy and fit ๐Ÿ˜€ Perhaps you can open this association to those who exercise on the field?

Unless of course, the intention was to share tips specifically for those training in gyms.
    Ash, weights are not necessary. There are different types of exercises without weights which use only your own body weight to provide resistance. And Gym as I understand is a kind of common word for all type of exercises inside or outside.
    As I have said in the earlier post in this thread, I am now training alone. And that is without much of weights.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    @ raj
    Yep, you are correct.. just want to check with biggie about the ambiguity of the using "gym": if it was for working out inside a gym (or home) or just exercising in general (like playing basketball) ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys i am seriously under weight , i eat well even then i am not gaining weight.
    I should badly gain weight ๐Ÿ˜€.

So many people have the ideas to lose weight , but anyone have ideas to gain weight?

Am a strict Veggie ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Drink Milk Like Dhoni
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    English-Scared
    Guys i am seriously under weight , i eat well even then i am not gaining weight.
    I should badly gain weight ๐Ÿ˜€.

So many people have the ideas to lose weight , but anyone have ideas to gain weight?

Am a strict Veggie ๐Ÿ˜€
    I will ask you the same question I asked Shalini. What does your average diet chart look like?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm. Ok. Makes sense. Suggest a better name for this thread (/association).
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    How about the "Energize" Club.. or is it too geeky? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Patty, please do post about your training schedule and the equipment you use at home ๐Ÿ˜€

I could probably mention some cardiovascular and muscular conditioning methods.. but they are meant for sporting activities. I think they can apply to general well being though.

We can probably add additional tips to those with busy schedules, how they can integrate simple workouts while on the move.

List of healthy foods will be useful, along with diet guides (as mentioned by patty) with different health targets (muscle building, stress relief, memory retention, conditioning, etc)
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    I might join the Gym quitters association. ๐Ÿ˜

Seriously guys, I think gym and weights are actually bad for your body. I believe in Yoga and basic cardio exercise. Gym has had a bad effect on my body. I was alright before I went to a gym. But the trainer was so bad that I had to quit. I didn't find another good one and now I can be called FAT!

I'm taking up yoga now. Plus I'll soon start jogging and cycling
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ... not to mention the billions of bacteria breeding on poorly maintained gym equipment ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    @Patty: If I tell you my daily diet, can you help me to reduce?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I think I can, also tell me what kind of exercises you do if any.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    @patty : i will send my diet chart today.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Alright here you go-

Morning:

I have my break fast in the morning around 10-10:30. Some times I have cornflakes/muselli. But the frequency is maximum twice a week. Other times I normally have a brunch, comprising of either Daal chawal or roti and some vegetable. A glass of milk/coffee/tea is also must. I skip my breakfast may be once a week, mostly sundays. I also eat a fruit if available.

Afternoon:
    I have mu lunch around 1:30. If the breakfast was heavy, I normally have a very light lunch comprising of either daal chawal or 2 rotis, a vegetable and daal. I have a full meal of 2 rotis, 2 vegetables 1 daal, a sweet and a buttermilk may be thrice a week, but not more. I have it in my office canteen.

Evening:
    Occasionally I have snacks at around 5:30. It can be a sandwich or poha or a samosa or maggi. In case if the snack is very oily, I skip it.

Night:
    Dinner is around 10pm. We normally have 3 rotis, vegetable, daal and chawal for dinner.

My weight is around 74kg. However as per my height and body structure, it should be around 67kg. As far as exercise is concerned, I occasionally go for a slow jog in the morning and also climb stairs up and down about 3 times. (My flat is on the 5th floor). We occasionally go for a stroll in the night as well. I also some times do crunches, push ups, dips and sit ups.

So patty tell me what should I do to shed the extra pounds?

Glossary for international audience:
    Roti- Indian bread
    Daal- Cereal
    Chawal- Rice
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ Mayur : If you don't move your body, dude; where will all the calories go?
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    The_Big_K
    @ Mayur : If you don't move your body, dude; where will all the calories go?
    Excuse me Mister, I think you didn't read my post properly.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    @Mayur Sir You can also go for Swimming. It will reduce your weight within a month and will be fun also.

Please give tips for gaining weight except only eating. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    mayurpathak
    Alright here you go-

Morning:

I have my break fast in the morning around 10-10:30. Some times I have cornflakes/muselli. But the frequency is maximum twice a week. Other times I normally have a brunch, comprising of either Daal chawal or roti and some vegetable. A glass of milk/coffee/tea is also must. I skip my breakfast may be once a week, mostly sundays. I also eat a fruit if available.

Afternoon:
    I have mu lunch around 1:30. If the breakfast was heavy, I normally have a very light lunch comprising of either daal chawal or 2 rotis, a vegetable and daal. I have a full meal of 2 rotis, 2 vegetables 1 daal, a sweet and a buttermilk may be thrice a week, but not more. I have it in my office canteen.

Evening:
    Occasionally I have snacks at around 5:30. It can be a sandwich or poha or a samosa or maggi. In case if the snack is very oily, I skip it.

Night:
    Dinner is around 10pm. We normally have 3 rotis, vegetable, daal and chawal for dinner.

My weight is around 74kg. However as per my height and body structure, it should be around 67kg. As far as exercise is concerned, I occasionally go for a slow jog in the morning and also climb stairs up and down about 3 times. (My flat is on the 5th floor). We occasionally go for a stroll in the night as well. I also some times do crunches, push ups, dips and sit ups.

So patty tell me what should I do to shed the extra pounds?

Glossary for international audience:
    Roti- Indian bread
    Daal- Cereal
    Chawal- Rice
    Morning:
    Brunch is a BIG NO. Forget it. Have your breakfast a bit more early. Your body has been fasting the whole night. Yo have to give it some fuel. If you prolong it the body thinks it is starving and starts utilizing the stored fat for energy and produces more fat storing cells for later. Then when you eat, more fat is stored then there was before.
    Have something in about one our you wake up. You can have cornflakes then, say around, between 6:30 and 7:30 A.M. Do some exercises, rest for 10 minutes, then have a little less than your full breakfast at about 9:30 - 10:30 A.M.

Some tea and 2-3 biscuits at 11:30 - 12:00

Lunch:
    1:30 - 2:30 is an OK time. It should be lighter than the breakfast. Instead of sweet, eat a fruit. Try to have less of rice. Try not to eat at the canteen and get a packed lunch from home that would be cooked in less of oil.

Evening:
    4-30 - 5:30
    Poha is the best amongst the 4 options. Maggi and Sandwich are alright once a week. Samosas once a month. Have a very light snack. Just enough to send the stomach churning.

Dinner:
    It should be the lightest of the three major meals. I would prefer that you eat only 2 Rotis and no rice. If you are going to ea rice have some but then you can have only 1 roti.

In all your meals try to have a lot of vegetables and fruits. And if you can have them as snacks in between instead of Poha and Sandwiches etc. Theey fill you up because they have a lot of fibres and roughage which is not fattening and helps in a healthy bowel movement. This way your stomach sends the signals that it is full and you do not gain weight.

Other than that drink atleast 4 litres of water daily. It hydrated you and also fills up your stomach. You see the humans have evelved in such a way that if the stomach remains empty for long, the brain sends a starvation alert and orders production of new fat storing cells.

Don't worry about the weight-height chart. It is crap. The more important thing is your BMI. You shouldn't have excess % of fat in your body. If your weight is majorly made of muscles than you are healthy. The important thing is to be fit.
    I will give you an exercise chart that you can do at your home. Take up a game and go and play that is the evenings if you can. Dips, push ups etc are fine but not enough.

Stroll under the moonlight is a leasurely exercise and I won't count it as exercise.

You will have to start hitting the sack by 11:00 - 11:30 P.M. and wake up by 6:00 - 6:60 A.M.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    shalini_goel14
    Please give tips for gaining weight except only eating. ๐Ÿ˜”
    As I said earlier, you will have to tell your daily routine and diet chart as Mayur did.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    raj87verma88
    As I said earlier, you will have to tell your daily routine and diet chart as Mayur did.
    See as such there is nothing to tell in my diet chart and I cannot even help in that. I do take care of it as much as I can. If you have any other option tell, else leave it.

Thanks !
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Well than I will have to make one for you. But you see, if you tell me some part of the schedule, then I will be able to see the problem and give you the solution. Now you are asking me for a solution without giving me the details of the problem.
    Still I will try.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    raj87verma88
    Morning:
    Brunch is a BIG NO. Forget it. Have your breakfast a bit more early. Your body has been fasting the whole night. Yo have to give it some fuel. If you prolong it the body thinks it is starving and starts utilizing the stored fat for energy and produces more fat storing cells for later. Then when you eat, more fat is stored then there was before.
    Have something in about one our you wake up. You can have cornflakes then, say around, between 6:30 and 7:30 A.M. Do some exercises, rest for 10 minutes, then have a little less than your full breakfast at about 9:30 - 10:30 A.M.

Some tea and 2-3 biscuits at 11:30 - 12:00

Lunch:
    1:30 - 2:30 is an OK time. It should be lighter than the breakfast. Instead of sweet, eat a fruit. Try to have less of rice. Try not to eat at the canteen and get a packed lunch from home that would be cooked in less of oil.

Evening:
    4-30 - 5:30
    Poha is the best amongst the 4 options. Maggi and Sandwich are alright once a week. Samosas once a month. Have a very light snack. Just enough to send the stomach churning.

Dinner:
    It should be the lightest of the three major meals. I would prefer that you eat only 2 Rotis and no rice. If you are going to ea rice have some but then you can have only 1 roti.

In all your meals try to have a lot of vegetables and fruits. And if you can have them as snacks in between instead of Poha and Sandwiches etc. Theey fill you up because they have a lot of fibres and roughage which is not fattening and helps in a healthy bowel movement. This way your stomach sends the signals that it is full and you do not gain weight.

Other than that drink atleast 4 litres of water daily. It hydrated you and also fills up your stomach. You see the humans have evelved in such a way that if the stomach remains empty for long, the brain sends a starvation alert and orders production of new fat storing cells.

Don't worry about the weight-height chart. It is crap. The more important thing is your BMI. You shouldn't have excess % of fat in your body. If your weight is majorly made of muscles than you are healthy. The important thing is to be fit.
    I will give you an exercise chart that you can do at your home. Take up a game and go and play that is the evenings if you can. Dips, push ups etc are fine but not enough.

Stroll under the moonlight is a leasurely exercise and I won't count it as exercise.

You will have to start hitting the sack by 11:00 - 11:30 P.M. and wake up by 6:00 - 6:60 A.M.
    This is great... thanks patty. I will keep this in mind. Moreover I'm going to hit the gym when I shift to my new home, but concentrate only on cardio in the initial days. I need to lose the excess fat before I can look at other things.

PS: 6:30am is wayyyyyyyyyyy too early for me ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

Been quite a while ๐Ÿ˜›

I propose a name change to Crazy Engineers Fitness Association. That would probably be able to cover all forms of exercising ๐Ÿ˜€

Hows everyone's exercise progress going?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Start a new thread and close this one.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Great info Patty & everyone! I walk a lot(at work and in the evening) and also sometimes ride an exercise bike in my house. I eat a near vegan vegetarian diet with lots of raw foods. I'm also a big fan of fresh, homemade juices(fruit and veggies). My biggest tip I can add is eat healthy and stay away from highly processed convenient foods. They are high in preservatives, salt, fats, low quality ingredients. They can lead to obesity, hyper tension, diabetes & cancers. Read labels and know what you are eating. The healthiest stuff won't even have a label (fruits, veggies, nuts, grains) =)
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Funny thing happened. I recently went to a gym at a hotel in Bangkok (just to note, I haven't been to a gym in over a year). The gym was awesome, they had some really new and advanced equipment. The treadmills there had touchscreen TVs right on the panel! Anyway, it was early morning and I was the first there. While using a leg curl machine, a pretty young lady came in and used an elliptical cross trainer in front. I had planned to use the pec machine initially, but it was directly behind the lady. So I was in a bit of a dilemma, cause if I use it, the lady might think I'm trying to ogle her from behind ๐Ÿ˜› After a few mins of thinking, I'm like.. what the heck, and used the pec machine.

Being a man, I chose a heavy mass (5 or 6 kg?), thinking it was doable. But after a few reps, I was pretty much struggling and straining.. face all red. Not sure if the lady noticed (since I tried really hard to avert my eyes ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).. I then discreetly chose a lighter weight, lol. I'm such a loser.

A few days after, all my muscles were aching *sigh* I should be more consistent in going to gyms, doing it sparingly doesn't do much good.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I gave up on GYM, i have re-started to play Badminton.
    I dont understand, why do we have this fatigue and quickly loose interest in fitness regimes??

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ICC T20 Starts form 5th June. So Lets Discuss about T20 World Cup Here... group a : India, bangladesh, ireland group b: Pakistan, england, netherlands group c: Australia, srilanka, west...
If you're thinking about picking up an ultra-portable laptop, this week's Hive Five is a great spot to start your comparison shopping. These are the netbooks are those most loved...
CEans, Small Talk with Pamela Slim All your comments, feedback & opinion about our Small Talk with Pamela Slim in this thread -
IM an engineer in my country but now I'm in sydney.I cant work in the related field nor do i have a capacity to study master in engineering coz its...
OK, CE-ians... enough about small engines, 2-4 strokes....๐Ÿ˜ we know enough about them, This weekend i had a train journey, and on my way, out of the craze to know...