CE Weekend Debate Suggesstions

The CE Weekend Debate started 4 weeks earlier, and the people participating are becoming low , so this thread is made for discussing what improvement CEans in the debate.

I request all CEans to help CE improve..!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I am tagging all the active CEans for the suggestions.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I am also tagging CEans online now..

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

And all CEans, also share your thoughts and tag more CEans, to make it an active community.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Cool, when does it start?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Since I am the one to create the thread, Here's my suggestion

> Debate Winner should be declared on Monday, and the topic should be announced on Monday or Tuesday.

> There should be prior confirmation for the people who are participating.

> I think Chat was a better option as in thread based discussion, we need to refresh again and again.

Moreover, the debate should be held in rounds, and managed by the MOD SQAD
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Nayan Goenka
    Cool, when does it start?
    It's already held four times now, and the next one will be conducted on next Sunday I guess.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    why not today? today is sunday ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am looking for technical debate similar to this : Electronics/Electrical/ECE Forum Events which we started 2 months ago.

The Technical debate which we started back then died due to less participation 'cuz CEans don't like "Technical" debates or we didn't offered gift vouchers back then.

However, cut to the chase : I will prefer "Technical Debates" over "General Topic Debates".Because, I am not interested in talking on "If We are destroying earth or not" or "Education should be free or not".
    We can keep those general topic debates in our "Debate Mastermind section", but when it comes to Weekend debates, I will prefer "Technical Debates".
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Nayan Goenka
    why not today? today is sunday ๐Ÿ˜›
    It's already conducted today buddy, and only three people participated including me (I think so)

and in earlier debates, more than 15-20 people were there...
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Bump, i guess i missed it
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am looking for technical debate similar to this : Electronics/Electrical/ECE Forum Events which we started 2 months ago.

The Technical debate which we started back then died due to less participation 'cuz CEans don't like "Technical" debates or we didn't offered gift vouchers back then.

However, cut to the chase : I will prefer "Technical Debates" over "General Topic Debates".Because, I am not interested in talking on "If We are destroying earth or not" or "Education should be free or not".
    We can keep those general topic debates in our "Debate Mastermind section", but when it comes to Weekend debates, I will prefer "Technical Debates".
    Noted, we will gather all the opinions and let other CEans also come, because I don't think everyone would be interested in Technical Debates rather than General Topic Debates.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sanyam Khurana
    I don't think everyone would be interested in Technical Debates rather than General Topic Debates.
    We are Engineers & not Management punks, right ? ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    I have my exams going on hence not able to participate. And I think that discussions in a thread in an hour would be too restricted. Not everyone would read what others have to say and only post in their views and leave.

How about the discussion go on for a maybe 12 hours and get it locked in 24 hours? With this we could get more content and more participation. Also not everyone would be available at the time span in the afternoon and early evening. Most users come online after evening or at night.
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    #-Link-Snipped-# I agree with you!

This is a forum for engineers and enthusiasts, so I guess technical debates would be better. The people who are non-technical could get information through the points discussed here, increasing their knowledge.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Abhishek Rawal
    haha, Yup of course.. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Abhijit Dey
    I have my exams going on hence not able to participate. And I think that discussions in a thread in an hour would be too restricted. Not everyone would read what others have to say and only post in their views and leave.

How about the discussion go on for a maybe 12 hours and get it locked in 24 hours? With this we could get more content and more participation. Also not everyone would be available at the time span in the afternoon and early evening. Most users come online after evening or at night.
    I also have my exams.. :/
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Chat is definitely an option, but it has its own limitations. The next upgrade to CE will bring you the feature where you'll get notified of the new responses that were posted while you were typing your message. You'll be able to open those messages without even loading the page.

I like the option of having the debate run throughout Sunday. Let's try out 24 hour bracket. I hope it won't make the competitive spirit fade out.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    We would definitely conduct technical debates. If you have suggestions on the topics - do share them. We may conduct several debates on weekend (Sunday) if we move from 1 hour bracket to 24.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We may conduct several debates on weekend (Sunday) if we move from 1 hour bracket to 24.
    ๐Ÿ‘
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    More than one debate would be a good idea. We could choose the ones we are more familiar with first and then head to the other ones which we are interested to know about. ๐Ÿ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm wondering what kind of technical debates can we really have, and how do we eventually judge them? Or should we just leave the debates without any judgement?

For example - one technical debate topic could be 'Windows Vs. uBuntu'. How do we go about judging it?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    The topic should actually be "Windows vs Linux" as it will be easier to judge. And in order to judge the topic you can simply check the keynotes. Or ask anyone with extreme knowledge of both operating systems to check it out.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A general debate can be judged by opinions supported by reasoning. However, in case of technical debate - most of the points would either be facts. Plus to judge every technical topic; we'd need experts who are well versed with both the competing entities.

Maybe we could simply leave the debates open; without any judgement.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    how do we eventually judge them?
    Why do we need to judge ?
    Drop the "Prizes" for few debates, let's see how many are really interested in debates more than "prizes".
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal

Technical debate ๐Ÿ‘Ž. Not feasible for all the CEans at a time.

Example: I am an structural engineer. I would recommend debate topic on architecture or SOM, or structural designing. Being an electronic engineer, will you be able to debate anything with facts with me on that topic?

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Allow the mod-sqad to attend the debates.They are the most regular ones, and do not participate ๐Ÿ˜”

Also, now as CE is responsive many of the folks may be accessing it from mobile and can be mobile while participating in debate (need not to stuck to system for an hour). So can we try increasing time from 1 hr to 12 hr bracket.

-Cb
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    crazyboy
    Being an electronic engineer, will you be able to debate anything with facts with me on that topic?
    Surely not.
    But atleast I will learn something new rather debating on the shit which is nothing but mere "opinions".
    Technical debates are more about facts. While general debates are opinions.

By the way, If you take look on the Engineering discipline's of the CEans which are participating in debates- IT,CS & ECE/EEE discipline is outnumbering Structural/industrial Engineers.

And always, Majority wins, right ?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    Surely not.
    But atleast I will learn something new rather debating on the shit which is nothing but mere "opinions".
    Well, Well, Well.
    I wouldn't term that as debate.

I would rather say that as online engineering lecture or discussions? Rather learning discussion from guess work from fella engineers, I would like to go to web to get the certified version of that knowledge.

Abhishek Rawal
    By the way, If you take look on the Engineering discipline's of the CEans which are participating in debates- IT,CS & ECE/EEE discipline is outnumbering Structural/industrial Engineers.

And always, Majority wins, right ?
    No, wrong statement. Only sometime Majority wins.

#-Link-Snipped-# - How much this Bold quote make sense?

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Why do we need to judge ?
    Drop the "Prizes" for few debates, let's see how many are really interested in debates more than "prizes".
    ...I hope that works. If people want to participate irrespective of the prizes - that's okay. But look at the debate section. There are so many wonderful debates that are still crying for opinions.

We don't have any particular liking towards CS/IT/ECS/EEE engineers over structural / industrial. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    See,this is strictly my personal opinion & I am not forcing my views on any of the CEans.
    If you agree with my views - well, that's cool!
    If you don't agree - man, I don't care.

My only motive is to bring rich technical contents here in CE.I see chit-chat sections & other general sections more active than technical sections, which irks me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#-Link-Snipped-# : I am not asking to be biased.
    What I mean is :
    If we need to attract more visitors, then we need technical contents.
    And, Technical contents comes with technical posts, technical debates & not with generalised debates.
    And If you want technical debates to be held, then you gotta pick on the majority discipline Engineers rather than opposite.

PS : I am sorry, if i sound offensive & cocky.
    Raised in poor family, Pardon my bad manners ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What I meant was, technical topics can't be debates ๐Ÿ˜ . But if CEans are interested, there's no one stopping them. FTW!

I mean, OSX Vs. Windows Vs. Linux can be a debate topic just like Java or .Net. We can have them any time in our relevant sections; and that's all about it.

If we want to award the debate winners, we'll need a strong judgement criteria; which with my limited knowledge looks difficult. If we can bring in experts; nothing like it.

So...

We don't have to 'officially' initiate any debate. Let is happen. We'll see if we can turn it into a competition.

I think that should end 'THIS' debate. Is everyone on the same page? Hit 'Agree', if you please.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    OS X versus Windows versus Linux ain't a topic for debate/discussion, it's more of community war than debate.
    Mac OS users will be backing OS X.
    Winblowers will blow for Windows.
    And Linux users will ride with tux only.
    Output will be nothing but disputes.

When I was talking about technical discussion/debates, I was talking something like:
    - CE Technical Discussion 3rd Week : NFC (Near Field Communication)

- CE Technical Discussion 4th Week : Power Transmission,The Journey from Source to Destination.

- #-Link-Snipped-#

Okay, I won't be suggesting (or giving feedback) anymore.
    When I enter, everything turns into riot! gosh!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Guys CE has a great Non tech debate team as of late I see some New Heads coming to the top. But Tech topics there is very little Welcome

I think we can have one for all fields

MEMS in __(put your engineering field)________ Field of Engineering

That would be good and #-Link-Snipped-# don't you think this will suit yourself
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Guys CE has a great Non tech debate team as of late I see some New Heads coming to the top. But Tech topics there is very little Welcome

I think we can have one for all fields

MEMS in __(put your engineering field)________ Field of Engineering

That would be good and #-Link-Snipped-# don't you think this will suit yourself
    Abhishek Rawal
    OS X versus Windows versus Linux ain't a topic for debate/discussion, it's more of community war than debate.
    Mac OS users will be backing OS X.
    Winblowers will blow for Windows.
    And Linux users will ride with tux only.
    Output will be nothing but disputes.

When I was talking about technical discussion/debates, I was talking something like:
    - CE Technical Discussion 3rd Week : NFC (Near Field Communication)

- CE Technical Discussion 4th Week : Power Transmission,The Journey from Source to Destination.

- #-Link-Snipped-#

Okay, I won't be suggesting (or giving feedback) anymore.
    When I enter, everything turns into riot! gosh!
    TSH you and I are of the same creed but lets see what thread starter has in store
    He is yet to tell why the topics he suggested should be debated
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Puncture the tyres, folks! Topics like this: CE Technical Discussion 4th Week : Power Transmission,The Journey from Source to Destination. are meant for 'Discussions' & not 'Debate'. There's a difference between the two. In fact, all our technical discussion sections should be flooded with such discussions that produce interesting ideas, pop technical queries, make you think etc.

Let's not call them 'debate topics'.

Let's make this clearer with Google's way of defining 'Debate':

A formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.
    That's the ONLY reason I said technical 'debates' aren't possible. We can/should/will host technical 'discussions'. I admit there's been some confusion about naming the weekend debates as 'discussions'. Sorry about that.

Why should we wait for weekend to start 'technical discussions'? Why not start a few right now - so that everyone benefits?

As far as 'debates' are concerned, they'll always be very 'generic'. Because we'd need to choose topics that will have opposing views. I'm not sure if that's possible in technical topics.

I hope everyone's got this right now.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Conqueror
    That would be good and #-Link-Snipped-# don't you think this will suit yo
    Buddy, I done my engineering in Structural, since last few years working in software and I am gadgets freak.

So debate on Civil, CompSc or electronics all three fields would suit me; I was just keeping my point that I thought would make sense for most of the other folks.

-CB
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    No issues Sir @CB No wonder your participation got you richly rewarded

Congrats on your success
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Let's end this,friends.
    #-Link-Snipped-# ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    Let's end this,friends.
    #-Link-Snipped-# ๐Ÿ˜›
    ROFL. The END.

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1) Can a non-US resident back Kickstarter Project ? 2) Can a non-US resident post/publish his/her project in Kickstarter ? 3) If I back any project (assume it's OUYA) &...
pf-Kernel is a Linux kernel fork which provides you some awesome features which are not included in mainline Linux Kernel. "pf" stands for "Post Factum", Author's nick-name. Some popular patchsets...
hey guys, i think you all remember me i am narayana let me say this in my way as simple as possible i am a electrical and electronics engineer and...
I see that exams are going on in most of the colleges and Universities in India. I'm curious to know by what date do the semester exams get over for...
Just curious to know if there's a quick and dirty way to run uBuntu apps on Mac OSX? I've heard of a program called WINE which allows running Windows Programs...