CE-Store

hello,
i have a small suggestion for biggie over here, though i haven't thought about the pro's and con's.
the suggestion is to open a book store and engineering stuff.
the members in Ce can directly put books on sale and others can buy it. probably at a low cost as many will just have dump of book lying unnecessary these book can be either be distributed for free or sold at lower costs or mutual stuff can be exchanged. this way people will be saving money.

sorry for the English and the way i projected the idea. My english is a little bad.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Don't be sorry for the language. No one here (to the best of my knowledge) is English Guru.

Back to the suggestion: That's one idea we've thought of before but haven't taken actions.

I'd like to invite more ideas on how to go about this from our CEans.

• Are we looking at brand new books on sale?
    • Or should we focus on letting CEans sell old books online at a lower price?
    • Or are we talking about a generic CrazyEngineers Store where CEans can buy/sell things?
    The idea that I've had in my mind is that CE Store could become a place where CEans will be able to buy CE T-Shirts, buy books from others, make power point presentations and sell them, create original seminar reports and sell them to those looking for them et al.

Looking for suggestions from everyone.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    The second and third point could be considered! If we're selling brand new books, we'll have to see that they are being sold cheaper than in the bookstores. But then, trading presentations and seminar reports is something new, and will attract many many customers! ๐Ÿ‘ CrazEcommerce!๐Ÿ˜’
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    3rd one - Generic CrazyEngineers store ๐Ÿ‘
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    +1 for the third option, because second one can be categorized under the third option. And that's a great idea too. What about the delivery option ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    If we indeed go for the third option, what kinds of things should one be able to buy?
    One is books. Another one is seminar ppts. What else should we have?
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    +1 for the third option, because second one can be categorized under the third option. And that's a great idea too. What about the delivery option ?
    the person who buys it will have to send it by courier. Ce will act as a platform and will charge nothing for members who sell or exchange the books mutually, but considering selling of new books we have to outsource it at the beginning because of the risks. and people will be normally charged for the delivery and the books cost.
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    AbraKaDabra
    If we indeed go for the third option, what kinds of things should one be able to buy?
    engineering stuff such as scientific calculators, drafters, and may be electronics and mechanical stuff such as motors, pcbs ETC
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That'd be a bit risky. If the transaction occurs through our site and the goods don't get delivered, CE will get the blame automatically.

Instead, we can stick to digital downloads to keep the things simpler.

See, what I imagine is that we've a huge demand for ready made projects, seminar reports etc. We can make the platform such that CEans would be able to create original presentations, seminar reports and then sell them online for a price.

But in that case, I'm 100% confident that people will try to sell the content they've obtained from various sources.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    AbraKaDabra
    Some kind of demoboards, components, mini projects, small modules etc
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    How can CEans help in 'building this' or 'making it work' after launch?
    May be we should have some sort of volunteers from each state?
  • avii
    avii
    great idea guys. I support this.

Though I personally don't like selling projects / seminars / programming codes etc.
  • vinci
    vinci
    while most of the topics (or content needed) is available over internet ,can it be a good idea to open E books store? although the idea is not bad to distribute it to needy ones ,but better to give it to our juniors @ no cost .See distributing education must be @ no cost-no profit as we'd be doing social service and not business. Do business deals with business men, not with juniors .they are students.Why not to start a joint effort of providing some tutorials of our expertise in one separate section.All stuff related to about technology to business,mba etc. May not contain full guide tutorials but basics of what we know the most .Like some one is expert in php,he /She can post a thread of building website from scratch .This way other learn from his /her experience and he /she may learn too.Dont know if all supports the idea but this would be unique .๐Ÿ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's a good idea. As we talked about it earlier; the main challenge with the ebook store is to make sure that only original content is shared through CE. We may even go with a full-fledged ebook store; where the content is created by CEans and CE becomes a distributor.

That said, an evolved version of this concept is already on my notes. We're working with the devs to evaluate possibilities, expected period of developing the service and the deployment related challenges. I'll keep everyone posted with the updates.
  • vinci
    vinci
    i suggest it would be for non CEians also to give the most and @ low prices or no money scheme in special cases.I w'd like to write some more here but dont know whether other CEians criticize my views as my views suggests no money deals with students.
  • avii
    avii
    Let people criticize, cos who criticize have no other work to do !!

Constructive criticism is always welcome though.

IMO, it can done in two ways :
    1. CEans write articles, sell them on CE-store. CE can may or may not charge % commission
    2. CE hire people to write & provide them FREE on CE Store.

IMO latter would be better. Cos we are in India ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : That's what the idea is. Why not let our CEans create original content and have other buy it from our site? However, this is going to be a huge project.

What fix do you guys suggest if someone creates very low quality content or creates content by copy-pasting from other sources and then sells it through the site? How'd we protect our buyers?
  • avii
    avii
    The_Big_K
    What fix do you guys suggest if someone creates very low quality content or creates content by copy-pasting from other sources and then sells it through the site? How'd we protect our buyers?
    Allowing people to sell those who you/CE trusts. That's the only way I can think of.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    avii
    Allowing people to sell those who you/CE trusts. That's the only way I can think of.
    That won't ensure the success. I checked and found out that the sites take absolutely no responsibility of the goods being sold; and it's all up to the buyer and seller to trust each other. While we can be a mediator (we keep the money until the transaction is complete), there's no solution to protecting the buyer by ensuring quality content.

Let's say a CEan submits a PPT on Web 2.0 technology. There's no way to know whether the seller has uploaded quality content so that the buyer gets what he/she's looking for. Manual checks are nice; but I'm not sure how's that going to work out in the longer run.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    That won't ensure the success. I checked and found out that the sites take absolutely no responsibility of the goods being sold; and it's all up to the buyer and seller to trust each other. While we can be a mediator (we keep the money until the transaction is complete), there's no solution to protecting the buyer by ensuring quality content.

Let's say a CEan submits a PPT on Web 2.0 technology. There's no way to know whether the seller has uploaded quality content so that the buyer gets what he/she's looking for. Manual checks are nice; but I'm not sure how's that going to work out in the longer run.
    There is a simple fix. Although it will be a bit tough in the beginning. All you need to do is to appeal to community members to create their brand on CE. They can build their "BRAND" on CE by creating original content. The "Brand" with highest quality content will be ranked #1.

The highest ranked user will be able to sell his/ her products at a higher price.

Now your job will be to create a mechanism for sorting out original and copied content. This is absolutely necessary.

If you want to ensure further success. Do what Google does. Make the copy-cats look stupid!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    There was a talk of CE magazine last year. Now we have a good team of authors can we work on making a magazine?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    There was a talk of CE magazine last year. Now we have a good team of authors can we work on making a magazine?
    Are you serious?
  • avii
    avii
    why not ?? thats a great idea indeed ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Running a magazine is going to take its own 'setup'! Plus, aren't magazines dying? Who'd want to read old stuff? I gave up reading newspaper over a decade ago.
  • avii
    avii
    I still do read newspapers & magazines. By magazine, it doesn't mean hard copy, even epub will do.

And no, magazines aren't dying. Consult any local book stand owner, you'd know ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    Are you serious?
    No they are not dying. But yes, only real stuff is read seriously. A dedicated magazine for engineering would make it big. We can have something on the lines of "Pratiyogita Darpan" and "Competition Success Review (CSR)".

As you correctly pointed out, running a highly competent magazine would require a highly efficient setup.

I remembered because there was a discussion of having CE magazine last year.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Frankly speaking, I don't see any point in launching a magazine when we have a blog that does the same. We'd rather invest in recruiting more experienced authors than investing in building a print magazine. Print media is dying. Mobile is on the rise.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    Frankly speaking, I don't see any point in launching a magazine when we have a blog that does the same. We'd rather invest in recruiting more experienced authors than investing in building a print magazine. Print media is dying. Mobile is on the rise.
    I never talked anything about print magazine. I was talking about E-Magazine. It is good to have VoiCE ๐Ÿ˜€
  • avii
    avii
    ^Same here.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    I never talked anything about print magazine. I was talking about E-Magazine. It is good to have VoiCE ๐Ÿ˜€
    How's e-magazine different from a blog?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    It is not. I guess blog is better and does the same job every day. A magazine is periodical say 15 days or 1 month. Let us be peace with VoiCE!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The_Big_K
    Emagazine is really a good idea we can if possible implement it

And about the CE store we can rate the article based on the value of the content some entrepreneurs here can use CE as a platform for both advertising and selling their goods that is my opinion
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Hey this is a damn good idea. i guess this has to be given a try.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zaveri
    Hey this is a damn good idea. i guess this has to be given a try.
    The magazine or CE Store? A physical (printed) magazine is out of question at this time because we simply don't have enough resources. A digital magazine (PDF) would be possible where we combine the best tech news of the week and present them in compiled form. We'd need dedicated volunteers though who can make it work over the weekend.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The_Big_K
    The magazine or CE Store? A physical (printed) magazine is out of question at this time because we simply don't have enough resources. A digital magazine (PDF) would be possible where we combine the best tech news of the week and present them in compiled form. We'd need dedicated volunteers though who can make it work over the weekend.
    How will you bring about the E magazine in pdf you mean to collect entries through out the week and publish it in the week end

Why not some one start a recruitment idea for E magazine
  • whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket
    The_Big_K
    I suggested#-Link-Snipped-#two years ago! And I feel now is the time. We should have other form of media as well, not just textual posts! E-magazine idea looks good too! Its high time CE should hire serious professionals!

PS: If we get super quality content, I m sure most of the CE-ans will be ready to pay!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    whiz.kid.aniket
    I suggested#-Link-Snipped-#two years ago! And I feel now is the time. We should have other form of media as well, not just textual posts! E-magazine idea looks good too! Its high time CE should hire serious professionals!

PS: If we get super quality content, I m sure most of the CE-ans will be ready to pay!
    Alright sire! I'm noting that down. I was thinking we should do a video of tech news of the week. ๐Ÿ˜
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    The CE store of course. the digital magazine is not a bad idea either.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The_Big_K
    Alright sire! I'm noting that down. I was thinking we should do a video of tech news of the week. ๐Ÿ˜
    DO decide and finalise too many super cool ideas here
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    if you guys are hiring i am in i will try to put up the page and also collect the info on the latest available technology ๐Ÿ˜
  • solar morpher
    solar morpher
    Wonder whether this is working thread or dead thread lots of ideas gone waste here
  • lal
    lal
    Not dead for sure. Its just an intermission now. Will be fluttering with life shortly ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CE Store has taken a backseat for the larger game. Unfortunately, the delays have been making us think 10x before we 'out' anything.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    I have learnt one thing in my career. If you have an idea that you trust, just do it. Dont be hesitant to implement. If it clicks, great. If it does not, still you at least know that you have done and failed.

I have pointed it out many times, CE is a great community. Take advantage to build great services or products. Over dependency on Google is gonna hurt and Alexa of CE is not really suggesting an improvement. You have great guys like Praveen, Troll, Bioramani and so many more and things are not really moving here.

I am ready to build a CE store in 24 Hours with payment integration for no cost.
    You invite sellers to sale their App, Project Reports, Code.
    Let people pay you.
    Pass 70% to seller
    you keep 30%
    You dont loose anything. Seller does not loose anything. Once sales are made, you gain, seller gain and if all goes smooth I get the STORE in my RESUME.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm calling it a science because I think it needs a systematic study & I'm sure if someone tries to find out why a lot of people get inspired after...
Hello all, i am not very much expert in MATLB... i am designing a real time pic microcontroller based ECG system...for that after processing the real time ECG data through...
It's an important question asked in HR. Lets share the views. Question : What's Your Weaknesses? How do you overcome them?
Here is linux based OS for those who are a bit annoyed with linux type interface. Using Zorin you can switch your interface between Windows 7, XP, Vista, 2000, Mac...
I am not finding all elements in my ANSYS software............many elements are missing like pipe16 and all 2d elements..........Can anyone give me any solution to this problem.