CE Projects: Dreaming Big - Starting Small

CEans,

So far, we've had lot of discussion on CE projects. The biggest concern everyone has is the number of incomplete projects we have. No one likes that.

While successful execution of any project looks an easier task to achieve, it is not. It is high time that we understand this. All our projects - CE Instant Messenger, CE Bot, CE Linux, CE Robotic Arm are wonderful; however we are not yet bigger & mature enough to execute them using our geographically distributed teams.

The aim of this post is to find a practical solution to deal with problem incomplete projects and slower progress.

To start with; I recommend that we halt all of our existing projects. Next step would be to think about 'tiny' projects that can be done individually or at the most, teams comprising of not more than 2 CEans.

When I say tiny projects I refer to tiny utilities: 1. CE Firefox Search Plugin [Already done by CEan - NiLaY long time ago) 2. CE Firefox RSS post flasher toolbar. 3. CE thread notification popup etc.

This does not limit to CS/IT engineers. CEans from any particular geographic location can come together and join hands to work on a mini-project related to their engineering discipline.

Once we have few such projects done successfully, we'll migrate to bigger projects. We may even begin integrating all the individual projects created by CEans.

If we have majority of CEans in agreement, let's get started with this as soon as possible.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Doing a individual projects is somewhat a trouble task...Because we need lot time to invest and lot of works
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    @Big_K Superb ! Though thought too late about this.๐Ÿ˜‰

One more thing we can have is dividing people in several teams according to their interests in projects like few for Linux, few for CE-Bot so that those people focus only on their respective projects and cannot say later we don't get time. They have to anyhow find time if they seriously want to complete these projects. Right?

I guess CE-IM can also be counted in tiny projects.๐Ÿ˜‰

@ms_cs Never say you cannot have time, It depends only on your will power to find time. Based on your will(sometimes needs) ,you priortize things. Right?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ Shalini: CE IM is not a tiny project because we do not intend to develop yet another IM in the market.

@ MS_CS: Individuals can work on tiny projects right by dedicating 3 hours every week, right?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Biggie, I think this is a little premature. Lets wait after the CE Delhi meet, since one of the points of discussions was regarding the CE Bot.

We know that India will be the central place for the hardware projects, so we should build on top of that ๐Ÿ˜€

If you need an update, I'm working on the PIC circuitry for the CE Bot now. My communications testing is complete. I'll be discussing with xhx about finalizing the radio requirements of the bot.

I do agree strongly that we should work on integrating smaller projects into other stuff. Modularization is always a plus point ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I can spend 3 hours. But If we worked as a team It will be better to create a project.That;s my point
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeah, as a team... it would be more productive if we can delegate tasks properly. Should we make use of Google Sites like we did for CE Bot? We can post a proper "To Do" list there, put information, upload pictures and files (such as executables). Its hard to discuss in the forum because vital information gets lost in the pages.. which was pretty much an impetus for the CE Bot site anyway.

So, those who wishes to join a project, please apply for a CE Network email add as soon as possible to be able to edit things at Google Sites ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alright, let's wait for outcome of Delhi meet.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    ash
    Yeah, as a team... it would be more productive if we can delegate tasks properly. Should we make use of Google Sites like we did for CE Bot? We can post a proper "To Do" list there, put information, upload pictures and files (such as executables). Its hard to discuss in the forum because vital information gets lost in the pages.. which was pretty much an impetus for the CE Bot site anyway.

So, those who wishes to join a project, please apply for a CE Network email add as soon as possible to be able to edit things at Google Sites ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yes,, planning is an important task in project design...
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    So I guess it would be real appropriate to ask for greater participation as this Meet would be a deciding the next steps for all the projects.

the concentration I guess should be on
    1.categorisation of projects.
    2.team development and team size
    3.a basic design and very clear idea of what needs to be excuted.
    For this I suggest skype and conference meetings 2 a month or once a month
    4.implementation

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here is my introduction as per the template set by the forum administrator: Name: Vivek.R Engineering Trade: Computer Science Location: Cochin,Kerala Occupation: Student(Final semester) Hobbies & Interest: Programming, Web surfing,...
i need som project ideas for doing my final year projects..i hav but its not gud to do n my final yr..im doing my electrical and elctronics eng..if u people...
Hi I just got through GATE with 97.2 percentile and 1167 AIR nad 536 score from CS Discipline. I hadn't seriously expected this as I hadn't prepared anything. Now I...
hi dis iz mech engg. plz tel me sum ideas about hydrolic robots....๐Ÿ˜
Continued from post Reincarnation of CE im: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/ce-labs/3155-cedoot-reincarnation-ce-im.html Well, instead of asking K for a machine, we can do it ourselves. All we need is a machine with broad band...