CE - Project : Bicycle that can Fly

Hi CEans,

Everyone dreams of flying in air but only who can afford can make their dreams work. I wonder if we can't afford why can't we make one which we can and one day I found this as a hope to fly on wikipedia Gossamer Albatrossut instead of using only mechanical energy if can add that with a group of natural sources like coupling the pedal shaft to the turbine immersed in water or creating a solar pond or solar cell which can add up some amount of energy required for the bicycle to fly in air. If we can add more natural sources the mechanical energy required will be reduced and we can create back up energy for the bicycle to fly in air.

CEans contribute to this thread and hopefully we can make one.

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Even I have thought of the similar one, the one showed in Scooby Doo, where they used to pedal and push the thrust force and the vehicle flies. 😀
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Well I am unable to post this image directly into CE. CEans Please have a look at this thought and Post your views and suggestions.

Eco Friendly Aircraft.

An Idea | Dilip Kaza | Flickr
  • Reya
    Reya
    can you read the text in the picture?
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Click view all sizes. Scroll the middle mouse button up by holding the control key. Sorry I was unable to post it into CE because it has to be a 800*600 where the image is more than that. Sorry for inconvenience.
  • Reya
    Reya
    OOPS! Sorry I didnt see that.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Let us try an order of magnitude estimate. A human being can produce a sustained power of about 40W. This is too small to fly a heavier than air vehicle. Most of the designs are for some sort of gliders with assisted power.

The picture shows some system suspiciously like a perpetual motion mechanism.
    If we look at the wing span to weight ratio of hawks, there seems to be a good correlation between various members of the species.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    If we use the same ratio for a bicycle/pilot combination (after adding estimates for wing weight etc., we will get a very large wing span. Difficult to achieve in my opinion.
    [​IMG]
    Finally posted the image here! Right click on it and click on View Image (Firefox) or Open Image in New Tab (Chrome) will show it in the full size. 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    One may need something like this:
    [video=youtube;T9CRRabjxzU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9CRRabjxzU[/video]
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Yes Ramani sir. We need something like that but it require a lot of mechanical force for it to fly but if we add some solar or thermal or wind or with the combination we might get more success and we can effectively use the same equipment for longer distances.

My doubts about this video is

1) Can the size of that aircraft reduced when there's only mechanical energy used.

2) If connect magnets in the rotor of the bicycle(pedal part) It might automatically like motor(so it might reduce our effort).

Is these things possible!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    1) If only pedal power is used, as the video shows sustainable speed is only about 17 km/hr. Wing lift will be small at these speeds. A large wing span is necessary.

2) If you are tapping only into the muscular energy of the pilot, making another contraption to cature the energy will not work. The best method is to drive the propeller directly as shown.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Okay Ramani sir, Praveen suggested me that we can enhance the performance of the plane by using a super cooled magnet in the rotating circuit.

Is this condition possible? but if yes can we maintain that temperature?

I mean by reducing the friction in the wheel we can get maximum output so that we can improve its speed!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Mr.Don
    Okay Ramani sir, Praveen suggested me that we can enhance the performance of the plane by using a super cooled magnet in the rotating circuit. Is this condition possible? but if yes can we maintain that temperature? I mean by reducing the friction in the wheel we can get maximum output so that we can improve its speed!
    What is meant is a superconducting magnet perhaps. Currently, this does require super cooling. What is not clear is: How does this magnet minimize friction?
    Even if it does, it cannot improve the out put by more than a few percent. The weight of the contraption will do far more damage than any gain.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) yesterday announced that Rupay Card - which works on the basis of VISA and MasterCard will be launched by the end of this fiscal....
Dear engineers, I need your help in analyzing this query: Our plant consists of 11x 635 KW, 415V Waukesha gensets, 2 x 3.5MW,11KV wartsila gensets, 11 KV main bus for...
Microsoft today confirmed that Windows 8 will have tight USB 3.0 integration. By 2015, it's expected that all the mainstream computing devices will offer tight USB 3.0 integration. USB 3.0...
iPhone 5 will truly be a global phone with support for both GSM and CDMA networks. This means a single device will be able to select from GSM and CDMA...
2.44 inch HVGA+ display 480 x 360 pixel resolution 800 MHz processor BlackBerry 7 Operating System Full QWERTY keyboard 5 megapixel camera with flash Image stabilization, Face detection Digital zoom...