CE - Motorcycle Workshop

Okay! Its Official! Its CE Motorcycle Workshop !

How do Crazy Engineers maintain their motorcycles? What do they know about their motorcycles? What do they do to get that extra mile out of each liter of petrol? What did they tweak their bike engine to get that high pickup?

Everything discussed in this thread. Motorcycle fans - drop in 😎 !

Share it with fellow CEans!

-The Big K-

Replies

• Rocker
    Rocker
    Count me in! I think we can start off with discussions on 2 stroke and 4 stroke engine. Without a detailed study of engines, it will be difficult for any newbie to understand his motorcycle.

Nice initiative!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rocker
    Count me in! I think we can start off with discussions on 2 stroke and 4 stroke engine. Without a detailed study of engines, it will be difficult for any newbie to understand his motorcycle.

Nice initiative!
    Sure, I think there's a thread which talks about 2 stroke engines. Can we have motorcycle freaks who understad their machines in-and-out to share the knowledge with us?

-The Big K-
  • aashima
    aashima
    Ineresting thread. Though I have nothing much to post in, I surely would like to know about the most sought vehichel! Looking forward to some interesting knowledge here.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dead thread! πŸ˜•

I had lots of hopes from this thread but it seems I'll have to wait to see discussions on motorcycles.

I'm sure we have lots of knowledge to share here. Personally, I'm looking forward to learn more about my Yamaha's Engine πŸ˜‰

CEans!

-The Big K-
  • navin
    navin
    hi everybody

I jus joined yesterday. I hope ur patience will never go in vain. i have a copy of the presentation i made in my department for the auto-club, if anybody interested i will surely share it with you, since i dont know how to upload a file in this thread for enlighting other i'am giving u my personal mail id. those interested can have it. any further Quieries iam always ready to answer.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    navin
    hi everybody

I jus joined yesterday. I hope ur patience will never go in vain. i have a copy of the presentation i made in my department for the auto-club, if anybody interested i will surely share it with you, since i dont know how to upload a file in this thread for enlighting other i'am giving u my personal mail id. those interested can have it. any further Quieries iam always ready to answer.
    Hi Navin, I guess we can put the presentation on one of the data servers and put a link to it in the post.

I'll make an announcement soon.

-The Big K-
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    Did it happened,

If so Send some Scrap or Announcment soon.

Eager to watch that presentation soon.

Regards,
    -A.SK...
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    A SudhaKar
    Did it happened,

If so Send some Scrap or Announcment soon.

Eager to watch that presentation soon.

Regards,
    -A.SK...
    Hi all ,

A good intiative, looking forward for learn new. Count me in 😎 .

Regards,

vibhor_one
  • navin
    navin
    The_Big_K
    Hi Navin, I guess we can put the presentation on one of the data servers and put a link to it in the post.

I'll make an announcement soon.

-The Big K-
    thank you Big K.. I'll keep a watch, and yes please let me when u need the presentation and how.

Navin
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I have a Royal Enfield Bullet which is not much known for its acceleration though handling and stability is legendary. I got 150/80 R15 tyre installed in rear which further increased the handling. I cut of the rear mud guard and made the bike a single seater to lose some weight for increased acceleration. Got another bend pipe installed on the opposite side of the original one and also lost the silencer. Get engine tuned to a high torque. This further increases acceleration. Lost some more weight by installing a lighter handle, getting rid of the indicators, rear view mirrors(this also made the bike more aerodynamic) and some small thing which i hardly used. Got a smaller tail light. Kept the number plate small so that it won't provide much resistance with air while traveling. Some of these may sound very small changes but put together they are huge and are many times the difference between the winning and the losing bikes on the race track.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Expanding on my last post. In this i will discuss ways to improve mileage. A method for increasing mileage is that you always keep your tires filled with air(more than the standard/required value). The less the contact area between road and tyre, the less gasoline the engine burns and when you overfill them, there is only a point contact with the road though the ride quality does go for a toss. If you do not race then the weight reduction on the bike also increases your efficiency. Get your engine tuned to a lower torque and you will find the mileage slightly better(at the expense of acceleration). Keep the normal tires that came with the bike and do not do any thing with the silencer. Drive in the prescribed way for your particular bike without any sudden accelerations. Always use one kind of fuel, if you use a high octane rated one then always put that. Get your bike serviced regularly and keep it clean. Change all the oils regularly in time. This is rather important if you want mileage. Remember, If you care for your vehicle, it will care for you.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    raj87verma88
    Expanding on my last post. In this i will discuss ways to improve mileage. A method for increasing mileage is that you always keep your tires filled with air(more than the standard/required value). The less the contact area between road and tyre, the less gasoline the engine burns and when you overfill them, there is only a point contact with the road though the ride quality does go for a toss. If you do not race then the weight reduction on the bike also increases your efficiency. Get your engine tuned to a lower torque and you will find the mileage slightly better(at the expense of acceleration). Keep the normal tires that came with the bike and do not do any thing with the silencer. Drive in the prescribed way for your particular bike without any sudden accelerations. Always use one kind of fuel, if you use a high octane rated one then always put that. Get your bike serviced regularly and keep it clean. Change all the oils regularly in time. This is rather important if you want mileage. Remember, If you care for your vehicle, it will care for you.
    Thanks for the tips, Prateek. What should be the optimal driving speed? Or, is there any?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    For different bikes it is different. You will normally find it on the user's manual. For the Indian bikes i.e. 150cc and above bikes it is near about 55 - 65 kmph in the top gear.
    Slightly less about 50 - 55 kmph for 125cc
    Scooters also have the same range as 125cc bikes
    All these figures are approximate though and you will have to check with the manufacturer or the manual.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    The_Big_K
    Dead thread! πŸ˜•

I had lots of hopes from this thread but it seems I'll have to wait to see discussions on motorcycles.

I'm sure we have lots of knowledge to share here. Personally, I'm looking forward to learn more about my Yamaha's Engine πŸ˜‰

CEans!

-The Big K-
    Which bike do you have and what exactly do you want to know about it's engine??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    raj87verma88
    Which bike do you have and what exactly do you want to know about it's engine??
    I have the Yamaha RX-Z model ( 5 Speed, 14 bhp ) which was in production for few days.

I don't have much idea about petrol engines, so all my questions will be newbie questions. Could you tell me about 'engine tuning'? What's that and why its needed?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Tuning is the adjustment/modification of I.C. Engine to give optimal performance either in terms of power output or economy.
    It includes a lot of things. From carburetors to air filters everything can be adjusted according to your needs. You can search Engine tuning in wikipedia and you will get a lot of information.
    Performance tuning is a specialized form of tuning used in racing circuits. I will talk about cars. Here you tune the suspension, transmission, engines, supercharger/turbocharger(in case of sports car) etc to get the kind of performance you want. eg. if the circuit is a lot straight then you may tune it to some of the following specifications:-
    Engine Max. Horsepower
    Transmission Top Speed
    Supercharger Slightly lower RPM
    Suspension slightly towards understeer
    In case of a circuit with a lot of twists and turns
    Engine Max.orque
    Transmission Max. Acceleration
    Supercharger High RPM
    Suspension Slightly towards oversteer
    in the same way to get your required performance you can tune tires, brakes and NOS(if you have one installed).
    So therefore by tuning the different parts in your vehicle you kind of tailor make it for your purpose.
    I have talked about cars here as it lets me cover a wider topic in tuning. Bikes do not have all these parts but the engine, brakes, suspension, NOS can be tuned.😎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow! Thanks for the information! πŸ˜€
  • gohm
    gohm
    As far as street bikes go I have a Triumph 900, Klr 650 and soon adding a sv 650. I do all my own maintenance and modification work myself. As far as the Triumph, it has free flow exhaust, I've removed the airbox and installed pod filters on the carbs, rejetted and installed a one tooth smaller front sprocket. Suspension weaks have also been done plus things for looks or weight saving. The KLR has mainly been modded for travel/commuting and offroad without sacrificing on-road handling. Lots of guards, racks, oversized front disc carb vent line relocation (so it can go in water up to the seat height).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With the Mahatma’s birthday upcoming on 2nd oct let us put this topic in the debate section where we can have shouts from the CEans. Well for me Mr. Mohandas...
Hello New CEans! Welcome to CE community. Before you begin your journey with us, take a moment to go through following :- The first place to visit on CE forums...
Hi all! I'm posting an image from howstuffworks.com . I think the image is self explanatory. Those who are not familier with the structure of two storke engine may ask...
πŸ˜• Please make a section for computer geeks and hacking and security like topics πŸ˜’
Hello CEans! Check out mozilla firefox 2.0 ! They came up with lot of Goodies in the firefox 2 ! My download is in progress πŸ˜‰ . I'll post a...