CE DI Questions : Part I

* Hopefully no intro needed why I started this thread *

Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency are kinds of problems where first we need to decide whether we can get the solution or not ??

Here is the first question set !!

* Please keep in mind answer may be Cannot be determined *

The diagram gives eight boxes which are marked a, b, ....h All boxes are to be filled with one each of the numbers 1 to 8 such that all numbers are used exactly once. So also any two numbers in adjacent boxes (either diagonally or straight line ) must not be adjacent numbers.
#-Link-Snipped-#

[​IMG]

PS. I was unable to upload the picture if any one can please upload it πŸ˜€
[​IMG]

Admin Edit: Copy the complete image path in image box of the editor by right clicking the image and selecting "Copy Image URL" option.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Q1. The number in the box g is

(1) . 1
    (2) . 3
    (3) . 7
    (4) . 2
    (5) . Cannot be determined.

Q2 . Which of the following can be the number in box C?

(1) . 1
    (2) . 7
    (3) . 8
    (4) . 5
    (5) . None of these.

Q3 . How many of the eight numbers can be in the box e?

(1) . 1
    (2) . 2
    (3) . 3
    (4) . 4
    (5) . 5
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Posting Image on behalf of ES (For questions asked in Post #1)
    [​IMG]
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    English-Scared

(1) . 1
    (2) . 3
    (3) . 7
    (4) . 2

(1) . 1
    (2) . 7
    (3) . 8
    (4) . 5
    (5) . None of these.
    FOr Q1 : ans is (4)
    For Q2 : ans is (3)

Am I right ES?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Sorry both the answers are wrong πŸ˜”

• ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Second try is allowed?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Yes πŸ˜€ Any number of tries are allowed.

Give clear explanation or else no issues i just solved the question so i can explain.

Anyways if we give this solution its self explanatory πŸ˜€
  • mech_guy
    mech_guy
    English-Scared

(1) . 1
    (2) . 3
    (3) . 7
    (4) . 2

(1) . 1
    (2) . 7
    (3) . 8
    (4) . 5
    (5) . None of these.

Q3 . How many of the eight numbers can be in the box e?

(1) . 1
    (2) . 2
    (3) . 3
    (4) . 4
    (5) . 5
    Q1: (3)
    Q2: (4)
    Q3: (2)

Solution 1:
               5 1 4
               3 8 6

Solution 2:
              4 1 5
              6 8 3

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The first answer is wrong πŸ˜€

Q1. (5)
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    There are 4 solutions available.

These are the solutions.

[​IMG]
  • mech_guy
    mech_guy
    Hi ES,

Ah! yup allright, g can be either 7 or 2. πŸ˜€

Cheers
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Next set of questions. Q4 to Q10

The only people to attend a conference were four ship captains and the first mates of three of those captains. The captains were L, M, N and O; the first mates were A, D and G. Each person in turn delivered a report to the assembly as follows:
    Each of the first mates delivered their report exactly after his or her captain. The first captain to speak was M, and captain N spoke after him.

Q4) Among the following which is not an appropriate order of delivered reports?
    A. M, A, N, G, O, L, D
    B. M, D, N, G, L, O, A
    C. M, N, A, L, D, O, G
    D. M, N, A, O, D, L, G
    E. M, N, G, D, O, L, A

Q5) In case L speaks after A, and A is the third of the first mates to speak, then among the following statements which would be untrue?
    A. O spoke immediately after G.
    B. The order of the first four speakers was M, G, N, D.
    C. O's first mate was present.
    D. A was the fourth speaker after M.
    E. The captains spoke in the order M, N, O, L.

Q6)
    Among the following statements which statement must be true?
    A. In case the second speaker was a captain, the seventh speaker was a first mate.
    B. In case the second speaker was a first mate, the seventh speaker was a captain.
    C. In case the third speaker was a first mate, the seventh speaker was a captain.
    D. In case the third speaker was a captain, the seventh speaker was a first mate.
    E. In case the seventh speaker was a first mate, the first and third speakers were captains.

Q7) In case A spoke immediately after L and immediately before O, and O was not the last speaker, L spoke
    A. second
    B. third
    C. fourth
    D. fifth
    E. sixth

Q8) In case G is M's first mate, D could be the person who spoke immediately
    A. prior to T
    B. prior to L
    C. prior to V
    D. after T
    E. after V

Q9) In case A is the third of the first mates to speak, and L is the captain whose first mate is not present, which among the following statements must be true?
    A. A spoke sometime before L.
    B. D spoke sometime before O.
    C. L spoke sometime before O.
    D. O spoke sometime before L.
    E. O spoke sometime before N.

Q10) Among the following statements, which would make M, D, N, G, L, O, A the only possible sequence of speakers?
    A. D is M's first mate; G is N's first mate; A is O's first mate.
    B. D is M's first mate; G is N's first mate; A was the second to speak after L.
    C. The order of the first four speakers was M, D, N, G.
    D. The order of the last three speakers was L, O, A.
    E. The order in which the captains spoke was M, N, L, O.

PS. I haven't had a chance to check my book, i copied these question from internet πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Dont search in the net for answers , give a honest try , i hope these questions are a bit easy.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    No takers yet πŸ˜”

I will post the answer in the evening πŸ˜€
  • swapnakumar
    swapnakumar
    4)a
    5)b
    6)b
    7)a
    8)b
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    @Sk , All the answers are wrong πŸ˜”
  • mech_guy
    mech_guy
    Hi ES,

4) e
    5) d
    6) a
    7) c
    8) Something wrong with question; T and V not defined in Problem (a typo i suppose)
    9) b
    10) b
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Congrats dude..

All answers are correct, i will update the question after some time.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The question is wrong in the site i got it.

I Framed a question.

This is the question..

8).[FONT="] [/FONT]In case G is M's first mate, D could be the person who spoke immediately
    A.[FONT="] [/FONT]prior to L
    B.[FONT="] [/FONT]prior to N
    C.[FONT="] [/FONT]prior to G
    D.[FONT="] [/FONT]after O
    E.[FONT="] [/FONT]after A
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The following table gives the percentage distribution of the runs scored by four cricketers in the first five matches of their career .

[​IMG]

Further , it is known that ,

(1)[FONT="] [/FONT]. The runs scored by Gaurav in his 2nd match was not more than that scored by Drahul in his 2nd Match.

(2)[FONT="] [/FONT]. The runs scored by Tenchin in his 3rd match was not less than that scored by Sheru in his 3rd match.

(3)[FONT="] [/FONT]In the fifth match, the runs scored by Tenchin was not more than half of that scored by Gaurav.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    11 . If the number of runs scored by the given players in their fourth matches are compared then who had the highest score?
    (a)Gaurav (b) Sheru (c) Tenchin (d) Drahul (e) cannot be determined

12 . If Drahul scored 126 runs in his first match , then the total runs scored by Tenchin in his first five match is atmost
    (a)350 (b) 400 (c) 450 (d) 500 (e) 550

13 . The Ratio of the runs scored by Gaurav in his second match to the runs scored by Sheru in his third match was at least
    (a).96 (b) 1 (c) 1.1 (d) 1.2 (e) .9

14 .Among all the given players , the highest score made in a match in their first five matches was by

15. IF the total runs scored by Sheru in his first five matches is 1000 the runs scored by Drahul in his 2nd match is atleast
    (a)200 (b) 240 (c) 300 (d) 250 (e) 280
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Question 8 is also not answered .

The source for the questions 11 -15 is my book πŸ˜€
    ​
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    English-Scared
    The question is wrong in the site i got it.

I Framed a question.

This is the question..

8).In caseG is M's first mate, D could be the person who spoke immediately
    A.prior to L
    B.prior to N
    C.prior to G
    D.after O
    E.after A
    The answer for this question is D.
  • mech_guy
    mech_guy
    Hi ES,

English-Scared
    The answer for this question is D.
    I think answer to this question could be either (A) or (D).

It can be (A) i.e. "D is immediately prior to L", in following case:- MGNDLOA

It can be (D) i.e. "D is immediately after O", in following case:- MGNAODL

So, i think this Question with its option is wrong. πŸ˜€

Regards
  • mech_guy
    mech_guy
    Hi ES,

English-Scared
    11 . If the number of runs scored by the given players in their fourth matches are compared then who had the highest score?

12 . If Drahul scored 126 runs in his first match , then the total runs scored by Tenchin in his first five match is atmost
    (a)350 (b) 400 (c) 450 (d) 500 (e) 550

13 . The Ratio of the runs scored by Gaurav in his second match to the runs scored by Sheru in his third match was at least
    (a).96 (b) 1 (c) 1.1 (d) 1.2 (e) .9

14 .Among all the given players , the highest score made in a match in their first five matches was by

15. IF the total runs scored by Sheru in his first five matches is 1000 the runs scored by Drahul in his 2nd match is atleast
    (a)200 (b) 240 (c) 300 (d) 250 (e) 280
    Answers:
    11. (D) Drahul
    12. (D) 500
    13. (B) 1
    14. (E) Cannot be determined
    15. (B) 240

Explanation:

Lets say, total runs scored by Gaurav, Sheru, Tenchin and Drahul in their first 5 innings are G, S, T, D respectively.

From,

(1). The runs scored by Gaurav in his 2nd match was not more than that scored by Drahul in his 2nd Match.
    if G2 is runs scored by Gaurav in second match and similarly D2 for Drahul then,

G2 < D2 or 0.18G < 0.15D i.e.

G/D < 5/6 or D/G > 6/5
    Similarly from 2nd condition we get,

T/S > 8/7 or S/T < 7/8
    And from 3rd condition we get,

T/G < 6/7 or G/T >7/6
    Now coming to first question:-

If the number of runs scored by the given players in their fourth matches are compared then who had the highest score?
    G4 = 0.25G; S4 = 0.14S; T4 = 0.26T; D4 = 0.23D

Comparing S4 and T4; T4/S4 = (13/7)*(T/S)
    But from condition 2, T/S > 8/7
    Therefore, T4/S4 > (13/7)*(8/7)
    i.e T4/S4 > 1 or T4 > S4

Now comparing D4 and G4; D4/G4 = (23/25)*(D/G)
    But from condition 1, D/G > 6/5
    Therefore, D4/G4 > (23/25)*(6/5)
    i.e. D4/G4 > 1 or D4 > G4

Now comparing T4 and G4; T4/G4 = (26/25)*(T/G)
    But from condition 3, T/G < 6/7
    Therefore, T4/G4 < (26/25)*(6/7) or (156/175)
    i.e. T4/G4 < 1 or T4 < G4

Thus we have S4 < T4 < G4 < D4 i.e Maximum runs scored in 4th match of each player was by Drahul.

Well now too lazy to type, but other questions will follow in same way.

Regards
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Very well answered.

14 th is wrong remaining are correct !!! Cheers!!

That can be determined πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    mech_guy
    Hi ES,

I think answer to this question could be either (A) or (D).

It can be (A) i.e. "D is immediately prior to L", in following case:- MGNDLOA

It can be (D) i.e. "D is immediately after O", in following case:- MGNAODL

So, i think this Question with its option is wrong. πŸ˜€

Regards
    Yes thats correct!!!

I missed it thanks !!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The answer for 14th question is D.

Drahul.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    A very long question !!!

The ICC wanted to include all the sixteen teams associated with it in both the upcoming world cup and champions cup tournaments.Hence ICC deviced the following formats for the tournaments.(tour)

World Cup: This tour is conducted in 4 stages . In thefirst stage , all the sixteen teams that take part in the tour are divided into two groups of eight teams each . Each team in each group plays with every other group exactly once. For any team , two points for win zero points for loss, The top three teams in eachgropus in terms of the total number of points they scored in the first stage , advances to the second stage ,also called the super six stage.
    In the super six stage , each team carrier forward (from the first stage) only those points that it scored in the matches aganist the other teams which advanced along with it from the same group. In the super six stage each of the three teams that advanced from a group play exactly once aganist each of the three teams which advanced from the other group.The points in this stage are awarded as in the first stage , and top four of these six teams in terms of total number of points scored irrespective of their group advances to the third stage the semifinals and the winners of the semifinals advance to the fourth stage finals.

Champions Cup:
    This tour is to be conducted in three stages.In the first stage , all the 16 teams that take part in the tournament are divided into four groups of four teams each.Each team in each group plays with every other team in that group exactly once.For any team, two points are awarded for a win and zero for a loss.the top team in each group in terms of points advances to the second stage semis.The winners advance to the third stage finals.

Further in the both tours::
    1)The rules are designed such that no match ends in draw or tie.
    2)If more than one team ends up with same number of points at any stage of the tour , the team with the best run rate is placed the highest , the team with the next best second highest so on.
    3)The draw of the matches in the semis is done randomly.
    4) The winner of the final is said to be the winner and loser of the final is said to be the runner of the tour.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Q16) If in the world cup tour the no of matches which India won is not more than half of that which it lost ,which of the following is the best stage/position at which india finished the tour?

a) Winner b)Runner C)Third stage d)Second Stage e)First stage

Q17)What is the difference between the total number of matches in the two tours?

a) 45 b)43 c)41 d)38 e)none

Q18) IF in the world cup tour ,Pakistan was the winner while south Africa was eliminated in the first stage , then the difference between the number of matches won by Pakistan and South Africa is at least?

a) 0 b)1 c)2 d)3 e)4

Q19) If in the world cup tour Australia was eliminated in the super six stage , then at most what percentage of the matches that Australia played in the tour did it win?

a)80% b)70% c)60% d)50% e)none

Q20)Which of the following cannot happen?

a) In the champions trophy atleast 12 teams win at least one match each
    b) In the World Cup tour , three of the seni-finalists are from the same group
    c)In the champions cup tour , the runner-up wins the same number as the winner
    d)In the WC - tour four of the teams finish tour without a win
    e) In the WC - tour one of the teams eliminated in the second stage has more number of wins than any other team in the tour.

PS. Question again copied from my collection, took 20 mins to type πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Is the question tough??

Or do you people need any more clarifications?
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    A16 = e) first stage
    To qualify for 2nd stage. India has to win atleast 4 matches out of 7.
    A17 = e) none
    Well, I counted the number of matches in hurry, so it may be wrong.
    WC = 79, CT = 27
    WC - CT = 52
    A18 = 4
    This is the simplest question among all. I dont need to think more about it. It is clear that Pakistan is champion & SA eliminated in first stage. So clearly difference will be much enough.
    A19 = c) 60%
    Just guessing. I will attend it if and only if I get time in exams.
    A20 = d)
    This cant be possible cause we have two groups in WC, so we have maximum of two teams who have not won even a single match.
    Am I right?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Answer 20 is correct with correct explanation.

Rest are incorrect!!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I will give one more day to solve these questions πŸ˜€ , as questions are a bit difficult.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Q21) Mr.Raj has taken an exam which has 3 mark questions , 2 mark questions and 1 mark questions. The number of 3- mark, 2-mark and 1 mark are in the ratio of 5:6:10 respectively and the total number of marks of all the questions in the exam is185.If Mr.Raj has answered two thirds of questions with exactly 30% of them being wrong , which of the following represents the sum of the minimum possible and maximum possible marks Mr.Raj could have scored? Assume that for wrong answers there is a negative marking of the one third of marks allocated to the respective sections.

a)144 b)138 c)136 d)140 e)142
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys,

Q16 ,Q18 are tough.

Q17 , 19 are easy ones.

Q21) Is again a question which involves smart calculations.
  • mech_guy
    mech_guy
    Hi ES,

English-Scared
    A very long question !!!

The ICC wanted to include all the sixteen teams associated with it in both the upcoming world cup and champions cup tournaments.Hence ICC deviced the following formats for the tournaments.(tour)

World Cup: This tour is conducted in 4 stages . In the first stage , all the sixteen teams that take part in the tour are divided into two groups of eight teams each . Each team in each group plays with every other group exactly once. For any team , two points for win zero points for loss, The top three teams in each gropus in terms of the total number of points they scored in the first stage , advances to the second stage ,also called the super six stage.
    In the super six stage , each team carrier forward (from the first stage) only those points that it scored in the matches against the other teams which advanced along with it from the same group. In the super six stage each of the three teams that advanced from a group play exactly once against each of the three teams which advanced from the other group.The points in this stage are awarded as in the first stage , and top four of these six teams in terms of total number of points scored irrespective of their group advances to the third stage the semifinals and the winners of the semifinals advance to the fourth stage finals.

Champions Cup:
    This tour is to be conducted in three stages.In the first stage , all the 16 teams that take part in the tournament are divided into four groups of four teams each.Each team in each group plays with every other team in that group exactly once.For any team, two points are awarded for a win and zero for a loss.the top team in each group in terms of points advances to the second stage semis.The winners advance to the third stage finals.

Further in the both tours::
    1)The rules are designed such that no match ends in draw or tie.
    2)If more than one team ends up with same number of points at any stage of the tour , the team with the best run rate is placed the highest , the team with the next best second highest so on.
    3)The draw of the matches in the semis is done randomly.
    4) The winner of the final is said to be the winner and loser of the final is said to be the runner of the tour.
    Answers :-
    Q16. (b) Runner
    Q17. (c) 41
    Q18. (b) 2
    Q19. (b) 50%

Question 1:-

If in the world cup tour the no of matches which India won is not more than half of that which it lost ,which of the following is the best stage/position at which india finished the tour?
    Number of matches played by each team to reach Super Sixes = 7
    Number of matches played by each team to reach Semis = 3
    Number of matches to reach Finals = 1
    Number of matches to win = 1

Total matches a team plays = 7 + 3 + 1 + 1 = 12

India wins less than half, so for best shot it wins = 5 matches

We need to use these 5 wins very conservatively for India's best shot.

Minimum number of matches required to reach second stage (Super Sixes) = 4
    (This can be arrived with a little work)

Now 3 teams reach second stage, and for best shot lets assume that India won both matches against them,

So in Super Sixes Tally of points can be,
    Group 1
    India = 4
    TeamA = 2
    TeamB = 0

And same way for Group 2 (3 teams with points 4 2 & 0)

Now it can be worked out that without any win (and best run rate) India can reach Semis.

In semis India wins another match, total wins = 5
    After that it looses in Finals.
    So India ends up being Runner up.

Question 2:-
    What is the difference between the total number of matches in the two tours?
    World Cup Tour:-

Number of matches in a group in First Stage = 8C2 = 28
    Total matches after first stage = 28 + 28 = 56
    Number of matches in Second Stage = 3x3 = 9
    Number of matches in Semis = 2
    Final Match = 1

Total matches in World Cup = 56 + 9 + 2 + 1 = 68

Champions Cup:-

Number of matches in a group in First Stage = 4C2 = 6
    Total matches after first stage = 6x4 = 24
    Number of matches in Semis = 2
    Final Match = 1

Total matches in Champions Cup = 24 + 2 + 1 = 27

Difference = 68 - 27 = 41

Answer = 41

Question 3:-
    IF in the world cup tour ,Pakistan was the winner while south Africa was eliminated in the first stage , then the difference between the number of matches won by Pakistan and South Africa is at least?
    From Solution of first Question we know,
    Maximum number of matches South Africa might have won and still got eliminated = 4
    And Minimum number of matches Pakistan might have won to win = 6

Answer = 2

Question 4:-
    If in the world cup tour Australia was eliminated in the super six stage , then at most what percentage of the matches that Australia played in the tour did it win?
    Again from first Question's solution we can say,
    Maximum matches won by Australia and still got eliminated in Super Sixes = 5
    And number of matches Australia played till Super Sixes = 10

Answer = 50% win

Question 5 is already answered.

Regards
  • mech_guy
    mech_guy
    Hi ES,

English-Scared
    Q21) Mr.Raj has taken an exam which has 3 mark questions , 2 mark questions and 1 mark questions. The number of 3- mark, 2-mark and 1 mark are in the ratio of 5:6:10 respectively and the total number of marks of all the questions in the exam is185.If Mr.Raj has answered two thirds of questions with exactly 30% of them being wrong , which of the following represents the sum of the minimum possible and maximum possible marks Mr.Raj could have scored? Assume that for wrong answers there is a negative marking of the one third of marks allocated to the respective sections.

a)144 b)138 c)136 d)140 e)142
    Answer: (a) 144

Total Number of Questions in paper = N

As number of questions of marks 3, 2 and 1 are in ratios 5:6:10, we have following equation:-

(5/21)xNx3 + (6/21)xNx2 + (10/21)xNx1 = 185

N = 105

Therefore, number of tough(T), medium(M) and easy (E) questions are:-

T = 25
    M = 30
    E = 50

Now Raj answer 2/3 questions = 70 questions
    30% wrong = 21
    Correct questions = 49

Now to score Maximum marks, Raj gets all wrong from Easy ones (to have least amount of marks deducted) i.e.

Tough = 25 attempted and 25 correct = 75 marks
    Easy = 21 attempted and 21 wrong = - 7 marks
    Medium = 24 attempted and 24 correct = 48 marks

Total maximum marks = 75 + 48 - 7 = 116 Marks

Now for minimum score, Raj attempts all wrong from maximum scoring area 9for maximum negative marking) and gets correct answers from minimum scoring area.

Tough = 21 attempted and 21 correct = - 21 marks
    Easy = 49 attempted and 49 wrong = 49 marks
    Medium = 0 attempted and 0 correct = 0 marks

Total minimum marks = 49 - 21 = 28 Marks

Sum of two gives = 116 + 28 = 144

Answer = 144

Regards
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    mech_guy
    Hi ES,

Answer: (a) 144

Total Number of Questions in paper = N

As number of questions of marks 3, 2 and 1 are in ratios 5:6:10, we have following equation:-

(5/21)xNx3 + (6/21)xNx2 + (10/21)xNx1 = 185

N = 105

Therefore, number of tough(T), medium(M) and easy (E) questions are:-

T = 25
    M = 30
    E = 50

Now Raj answer 2/3 questions = 70 questions
    30% wrong = 21
    Correct questions = 49

Now to score Maximum marks, Raj gets all wrong from Easy ones (to have least amount of marks deducted) i.e.

Tough = 25 attempted and 25 correct = 75 marks
    Easy = 21 attempted and 21 wrong = - 7 marks
    Medium = 24 attempted and 24 correct = 48 marks

Total maximum marks = 75 + 48 - 7 = 116 Marks

Now for minimum score, Raj attempts all wrong from maximum scoring area 9for maximum negative marking) and gets correct answers from minimum scoring area.

Tough = 21 attempted and 21 correct = - 21 marks
    Easy = 49 attempted and 49 wrong = 49 marks
    Medium = 0 attempted and 0 correct = 0 marks

Total minimum marks = 49 - 21 = 28 Marks

Sum of two gives = 116 + 28 = 144

Answer = 144

Regards

Excellent , Perfect answer!!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    mech_guy
    Answers :-
    Q16. (b) Runner
    Q17. (c) 41
    Q18. (b) 2
    Q19. (b) 50%

16 - Correct
    17 - Correct
    18 - Wrong
    19 - Wrong

Please recheck 18 and 19 πŸ˜€

Very nicely explained dude.

PS. Are you taking CAT this time??
  • mech_guy
    mech_guy
    Hi ES,

English-Scared
    16 - Correct
    17 - Correct
    18 - Wrong
    19 - Wrong

Please recheck 18 and 19 πŸ˜€

Very nicely explained dude.

PS. Are you taking CAT this time??
    Ok i messed it up at 18 and 19.

For Question 18:-
    South Africa might have won 5 matches in First stage and still got eliminated due to run rate. And Pakistan's minimum winning matches to win Finals can be 6.

So, answer is 1.

For Question 19:-

After winning 5 matches in first stage, it reaches Super-Sixes and wins one more but it is still possible for it to get eliminated (again based on run rate).

So 60% win is answer for this. But seems this too is wrong (this answer was given by Rajdeep and you said its wrong).

Hope i got it this time. Else it would be nice if you explain it πŸ˜€

Regards

PS: Nopes am not taking CAT πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Okay for Question number 19 the answer is 80 percent.

In the groups stage consider Australia has won 7 out of 7 matches.

So in the Super Six stage the Points will be.

Aus - 4 D -2
    A- 2 E - 2
    B -0 F -2

Consider in the super six Australia has won 1 and lost 2

Aus -6 D -6
    B-6 E -6
    C-0 F -6

So by runrate Australia is eliminated , thus winning 8 out of 10 matches the percentage is 80 %
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The Question 18 is an excellent one.
    The answer is zero !!! Amazing isn't ?

Assume the top two teams in Pak group are A and B. A could have won all its matches while B could have won all its matches except Pakistan and A.
    Pak can win 2 more matches and advance to the super six stage , If the points are shared nearly equally no other team can have 6 points.

Group 1 Group -2

A -4 C - 4
    Pak-2 D - 2
    B -0 E - 0

Now A can win matches aganist C ,D and E .
    C would win aganist B and pak.
    D aganist B and Pak.
    B aganist E and E aganist Pak.

Points after Super six.
    A -10 C - 8
    Pak-2 D - 6
    B -2 E - 2
    Now on run rate basis Pak goes to Semis wins and wins the finals too.

So total of 5 matches it goes to finals.
    So the difference is 5-5 =0 .

Any questions?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    @Mech_guy:: In the first question , the answer is correct but number of matches India could win are 4 not 5.

As India wins 4 matches and lose 8.

As Explained in 18th question India reaches finals with 4 wins and loses there such that it ends up as Runners up.

So the explanation to the first question is wrong.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    You guys are doing a hell of a work here.. hearty appreciations!!

Keep it up!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Thanks SS πŸ˜€

A bit easier questions compared to previous ones now.

Q22) In a 200m race , A starts four seconds after B starts, While C starts at the same time as B but a point which is 20m behind the starting line. If all three of them finish the race together , which of the following is always true?

a) In a 100m race A beats C by 1m
    b) In a 100m race C beats A by 1m
    c)A and C have the same speed.
    d) C is exactly 20% faster than B.
    e) none.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Q23) There are certain number of points lying in a plane. If out of these points exactly 6 are on a straight line and a total of 52 distinct straight lines can be drawn in all , connecting any two points at a time , what is the total number of points in the place?

a) 8 b) 12 c) 7 d)11 e)9
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Q22)
    C)A and C have the same speed.

here's how.

Let x be the time taken by C to run 220m. Then x-4 is the time for A to run 200m. Equating ratio of time taken and distance,

x/(x-4) = 220/200
    x=40.

So, C takes 40 sec to run 220m and A, 36 sec to rum 200m.
    Their respective speeds are,
    220/40 = 5.5m/s
    200/36 = 5.55m/s

So, C.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Q23)
    B) 12.

Since total no. of lines is 52, we have,

nC2 - 6C2 + 1 = 52
    nC2 = 66
    n * (n-1) = 132

n=12.

So, answers are,

Q22) C
    Q23) B
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    23 Correct , 22 is wrong.

Its None option (5).

Explanation: AS per the question given the time taken by a will be t-4 sec to run 200m.

So we can write these equations..
    a(t-4) =200
    bt = 200
    ct =220

Assuming time taken as t and speeds as a ,b c respectively.

So (3) -(1) gives

a/c = 1.1(t-4)/t

So none of the first three options is always true.

And C is 10 percent faster than B it can be observed.

So answer is none.

SS can you post questions too here??
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    English-Scared
    23 Correct , 22 is wrong.

Its None option (5).

a/c = 1.1(t-4)/t

SS can you post questions too here??

I guess it should be c/a instead of a/c.

I understand this, but my solution still seems correct to me. Can you tell me where I went wrong?

And as for me posting questions, I'll surely do that shortly..
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    silverscorpion
    I guess it should be c/a instead of a/c.

I understand this, but my solution still seems correct to me. Can you tell me where I went wrong?

And as for me posting questions, I'll surely do that shortly..
    Yes dude thats c/a , My guess is your answer will be correct only when t=40, so that is not always correct.
    For t other than 40 your a is not equal to c so the answer is none.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Q24 - Q28 )

TVC , a national level entrance test for admission to management schools , has three sections - Verbal Ability (VA) , QA and DI. The total marks in the paper ia 150., with each section having questions worth 50 marks each. This year , the paper had three types of questions - those worth 1 mark each , 2 marks each and those 3 marks each - with at least ten question of each type appearing in the entire paper. Each of the three sections had at least one question of each of the three types and total number of questions in each section was different.

Q24) The total number of questions in the DI and QA sections together, is at least

A) 36 B) 37 C)38 D) 39 E)40

Q25) If the total number of questions in the test was the minimum possible , then the number of questions in the QA section was at most

A) 19 B)20 C)21 D)22 E)23

Q26) IF the number of questions in the test was the max possible , then the number of questions in the DI was at least

A) 20 B)25 C)26 D)27 E)28

Q27)Suchitra , a student who took the test , takes an average of ten minutes , eight minutes and four minutes to attempt one questions in the DI , QA and VA sections respectively. If the duration of the test is 150 minutes. What are the max total marks she can score?

A)63 B)66 C)67 D)72 E)79

Q28) Vishal,another student who took TAC , would take an average of five minutes, four minutes and three minutes to attempt one question in the DI , QA and VA respectively. What is the minimum time (in minutes) he would take to score 100 Marks ?

A)116 B)120 C)121 D)122 E)130
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    English-Scared
    Q24 - Q28 )

TVC , a national level entrance test for admission to management schools , has three sections - Verbal Ability (VA) , QA and DI. The total marks in the paper ia 150., with each section having questions worth 50 marks each. This year , the paper had three types of questions - those worth 1 mark each , 2 marks each and those 3 marks each - with at least ten question of each type appearing in the entire paper. Each of the three sections had at least one question of each of the three types and total number of questions in each section was different.

Q24) The total number of questions in the DI and QA sections together, is at least

Q25) If the total number of questions in the test was the minimum possible , then the number of questions in the QA section was at most

Q26) IF the number of questions in the test was the max possible , then the number of questions in the DI was at least

Q27)Suchitra , a student who took the test , takes an average of ten minutes , eight minutes and four minutes to attempt one questions in the DI , QA and VA sections respectively. If the duration of the test is 150 minutes. What are the max total marks she can score?

A)63 B)66 C)67 D)72 E)79

Q28) Vishal,another student who took TAC , would take an average of five minutes, four minutes and three minutes to attempt one question in the DI , QA and VA respectively. What is the minimum time (in minutes) he would take to score 100 Marks ?

Guys these are not yet answered ?

Check these , a quite interesting questions πŸ˜€
  • mech_guy
    mech_guy
    Hi ES,

Question 24. Answer (B) 37
    Question 25. Answer (E) 23
    Question 26. Answer (E) 28
    Question 27. Answer (E) 79
    Question 28. Answer (C) 121

Answer: (B) 37

We need to find minimum number of questions in DI and QA.

For minimum questions both should have maximum number of questions possible of maximum earning questions.

Same time, both should have different total number of questions.

This leads to following:-

DI = 15 of 3 + 2 of 2 + 1 of 1 = 15x3 + 2x2 + 1x1 = 50 marks in 18 Qs
    QA = 15 of 3 + 1 of 2 + 3 of 1 = 15x3 + 1x2 + 3x1 = 50 marks in 19 Qs

So, DI and QA have atleast 18+19 = 37 Questions.

Answer: (E) 23

We need to find maximum number of questions possible in QA IF questions paper has minimum number of questions possible.

Now, we need to have atleast 10 of each type in question paper.

That is,
    10 of 3 = 30 marks
    10 of 2 = 20 marks
    10 of 1 = 10 marks
    So, we 60 marks is taken by condition. Remaining is 90 marks and for minimum questions, these should be covered with 3 marks questions. So additionally we have 30 more questions of 3 marks each.

So minimum distribution is:
    40 of 3 = 120 marks
    10 of 2 = 20 marks
    10 of 1 = 10 marks

Now we need to have maximum questions in QA (that is maximum number of least scoring questions OR DI and VA take maximum of maximum scoring questions).

Distribution comes out to be:

DI = 15 of 3 + 2 of 2 + 1 of 1 = 50 marks
    VA = 15 of 3 + 1 of 2 + 3 of 1 = 50 marks
    QA = 10 of 3 + 7 of 2 + 6 of 1 = 50 marks

So maximum possible questions in QA = 10 + 7 + 6 = 23 questions

Answer: (E) 28

Well this can be achieved in same way as 25th Question.

A)63 B)66 C)67 D)72 E)79

Answer: (E) 79

If Suchitra's speed is maximum in VA, she should solve maximum earning questions from this part.
    15 of 3 is maximum in any section. So she pockets these first.
    Time lapsed = 60 mins; Marks earned = 45

Now we got to see earning rate from each section.

VA has 2 of 2 left. So in 8 mins she can earn 4 marks.
    QA has 3 marks questions. But here she will take 8 mins to earn 3 marks.

So she attempts 2 of 2 from VA.
    Time lapsed = (60 + 8) mins; Marks earned = 45 + 2x2 = 49 marks.

Time remaining = 82 mins.
    She can attempt 10 questions from QA for her best chances.
    Time lapsed = (60 + 8 + 80) mins; Marks earned = 45 + 2x2 + 10x3 = 79 marks.

Maximum marks earned = 79.

Answer: (C) 121

Reasoning same as 27th question.

Thanks πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Perfect !!!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The set of questions here Each problem contains a question and two statements labelled I and II giving certain data. You have to select the correct answer from (1) to (4) depending on the sufficiency of the data given in the statements to answer the question. Mark your answer as

(1) . If the question can be answered by using one of the statements alone but cannot be answered by using the other statement alone

(2). If the question can be answered by using either statement alone.

(3). If the question can be answered by using both statements together but cannot be answered by using either statement alone.

(4) . If the question cannot be answered even by using both the statements together.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Q29) Is X adjacent to Y , if U , V, W ,X ,Y and Z are sitting in a row facing north?
    I. Neither X nor Y is at the extreme end.
    II. U and Z are adjacent to each other and there are three persons between V and W

Q30)Does the Circumference of the Triangle ABC lie inside the triangle?
    I. AB = 10 cm, BC = AC
    II. The orthocentre of ABC lies outside of the triangle.

Q31) By what percentage the greatest number among three numbers is less than their sum?
    I.One of the three numbers is equal to 50% of sum of other two numbers.
    II. One of the smaller number is 80% of the largest number.

Q32) How many students in the class of 50 failed in both Physics and Chemistry?
    I. 12 students passed in both physics and chemistry
    II . Number of students who passed in physics is six more than the number of students who passed in chemistry.

Q33) Is the natural number X , greater than 189 , a prime number?
    I . The number has only 5 multiples less than 1000
    II . The number is odd and does not end in 5.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Q34) If a ,b ,c are real numbers is c = a + b ?
    I . 5 POW(1/a) = 7 POW (1/b)
    II . 5 POW (1/c ) = 7 POW (c-b/bc)

Q35) What is the 28th term of an arithmetic progression?
    I . Five times the fifth term is equal to 23 times the 23rd term.
    II. The sum of the first term and fifty fifth term is 188 ( thanks SS for correcting!!)

Q36) Are x , y , z in AP?

I . x = log p ,y = log q , , z = log r
    II. p/q = q/r

Q37) If a is an integer how many roots of the equation ax2 - (a+1)x + 1 = 0 are integers?
    I . |a| =! 1
    II. -5 < a < 0

Q38) Among the three persons P , Q , R two persons are truth tellers and the remaining one is liar , Who is the liar?
    I . P said Q is Liar
    II . Q said R is liar.

Q39) How many months are there in this month?
    I. Next month has 30 days
    II . Previous month has 29 days.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think these questions dont require any explanations. So, I just post the answers which I got.

Q34) 3

Q35) 3

Q36) 3

Q37) 3

Q38) 3

Q39) 2

Are these correct?
    Answers to the previous set will come later..
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    These are the answers.

Q34) 3

Q35) 2

Q36) 3

Q37) 1

Q38) 3

Q39) 2
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Explanation for 35.

The nth term is AP is a+ (n-1)d
    for I -- 5(a+4d) = 23(a+22d)
    on solving this we get --
    18(a+27d) =0
    a+27d=0
    Thus it concludes the 28th term is 0.

From statement II --
    a+ a+ 54d = 188
    a+27d = 94

So Statement I and statement II both are sufficient to answer the question..
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Question 37 Involves equations, which i cannot post properly.
    The solution is solve the roots of the equation by basic formula
    You get solutions as 1 and 1/a.
    so statement II provides roots as non - integers this its not a valid statement.

So Answer is I.

If you need more explanation let me know i will try posting the answer!πŸ˜€

SS _ Please provide explanation also, lets see how is your explanation πŸ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    English-Scared
    Q35) What is the 28th term of an arithmetic progression?
    I . Five times the fifth term is equal to 23 times the 23rd term.
    II. The sum of the first term and fifth term is 188
    English-Scared
    From statement II --
    a+ a+ 54d = 188
    a+27d = 94

Dude, you gave 5th term instead of 55th term, I guess..
    Anyhow, I still missed the first statement.. πŸ˜”
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Oh! Is it?

Sorry dude!! Thanks for the correction..

I will update it πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys please answer the questions 29 - 33 last day is tomorrow.

By tomorrow 11 PM I will post the answers and will post new set of questions !!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    29.From I , X or Y is not at the Extreme End.
    From this we cannot say whether C and Y are adjacent or not.
    I alone is not sufficient
    From II , there are three persons between V and W.
    One of V and W are at extreme end .
    Now U and Z occupy the two places between V and W And the other place is occupied by X or Y.
    X and Y cannot be adjacent to each other.

II alone is sufficient.
    Ans (1)

30 . From statement I we know that , the triangle is an isosceles , but we don’t know whether it is obtuse or right angled or acute.
    Hence stment I alone is not sufficient.
    From Stment II the orthocenter lies outside the triangle. So the triangle is obtuse angled.
    Hence the circumcentre lies outside the triangle.
    Hence statement II is sufficient.
    Ans (1)

31 . 4 since we cannot get the answer from either the statements.

rest of the answers will post tomorrow.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In most of the cases, when we r using filler metal while welding, then why don't we use same filler metal as that of base metal
Important Tips for Logical Reasoning Study the question carefully. A brief explanation of why each choice is correct or incorrect follows each practice question. If you understand this reasoning for...
hi everyone . i am using ubuntu 9.04 .could anyone let me know where i can get the stabe version of wine like wine 1.0.1...... and i find only development...
Can anyone explain Diffusion Capacitance of a PN juntion diode. All I know is that it comes into play when the diode is Forward biased and increases exponentially with increase...
Hello i am nik. Iam in my 2nd b.tech nd have been assigned 2 do a project.can u plz giv me some suggestions