CE Community Layout Updated - Feedback Needed

As most of you have noticed by now, we've enabled the sidebar on all pages across the forum pages. Now you can see who's online, latest discussions and more besides the thread you are reading. We will be rolling more content on the sidebar very soon.

We wish to know what you think about the change in layout. So, share your feedback and let us know what's awesome and what sucks.

Waiting for replies from all of you.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Just noticed it.. changes in right panel πŸ˜€
    feels little bit fastπŸ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ianoop
    Just noticed it.. changes in right panel πŸ˜€
    feels little bit fastπŸ‘
    There's a LOT more we can do with the sidebar in place. Plus, I myself hated the new layout at first. But as it turns out; it makes reading faster because it reduces the overall eye-movements. We did not compromise on font size for the main text of the size.

We've more stuff to share, but we'll do that once we start getting feedback from all our users. We hope to have comments from all our regular and most active users.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Though it looks congested,It's very helpful in trolling latest discussion pages faster.

Also, The "likes recieved" are hidden in post, that I dislike πŸ‘Ž
    Hide the no. of posts, but don't hide "likes received". Number of likes received determines your no. of useful posts. Everyone can spam thousands posts, few can post useful ones.
    Just my opinion.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Troll_So_Hard
    Though it looks congested,It's very helpful in trolling latest discussion pages faster.

Also, The "likes recieved" are hidden in post, that I dislike πŸ‘Ž
    Hide the no. of posts, but don't hide "likes received". Number of likes received determines your no. of useful posts. Everyone can spam thousands posts, few can post useful ones.
    Just my opinion.
    We can control what's displayed there. I thought it adds no value πŸ˜‰ . Yeah; I think 'Likes Received' could be a good stat to display. What do people say?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Honestly speaking, I dislike the new layout. Looks kinda, umm, messy. It may be placed in bottom in horizontal alignment rather than vertical. That would serve the purpose without affecting the look.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    [Prototype]
    Honestly speaking, I dislike the new layout. Looks kinda, umm, messy. It may be, it could be placed in bottom in horizontal alignment rather than vertical. That would server the purpose without affecting the look.
    me too think the same..
    its very congested...
    Please don't hide likes.. as #-Link-Snipped-# said, it determines no. of useful posts..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The message space has been shrunk; but considering that we were wasting a lot of space on the right side of the messages; a 250px sidebar offered a perfect match : for mini-profiles, main content, for ads and for contents in the sidebar. As I said; I felt the new layout was congested at first. But now, it seems to be the one of the better layouts we've ever had.

We're taking the step to make sure we're prepared for the new things coming on CE πŸ˜‰ .

In the mean time, I've removed the total posts counts and replaced it with the total number of 'likes' each member has received.

What else do we need there? And why?
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    thanks for update showing likes...
    its quite quick..
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Big_K
    What else do we need there? And why?
    How about CE-Ranks as per Likes received ?

& there should be certain protocol on "liking".
    You shouldn't "like" just because fellow CEan tagged you/or commented, this will turn out to be a "you like, I like" game.
    I think, Disabling "Like" button in "Chit Chat section" will be good. I have seen plenty of CEans have gathered plenty of likes in Chit-Chat section than the likes they have ever been able to earn in respective "Technical Discussion forum".

You should "like" ONLY if the post comes out to be useful to you & informative.

What say ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm, please make a separate thread for the suggestions regarding Trophies and Likes. Let's stick to the feedback on the overall layout of the site that's been updated. πŸ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yesterday #-Link-Snipped-# told me to visit site but I was not able to look at just today I saw this.

Look becomes compact in view. Tabs for Users and Staff is very nice. πŸ‘
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I really Like this Pop Up notification with Avatar and Shaggy looks so cool in that small size. 😎
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I dont quite see any difference. Change is welcome
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    First, it looks like clumsy. But Nice, I liked this. Have to get habituate for this. And I like that Users | Staff tab. And also new popup πŸ˜€
  • graphite
    graphite
    Though bit congested, provides a quick look about latest discussions. Liked the popup and separate tabs for users and staff. Once we are habituated to it not a single issue over it.
    New Layout πŸ‘
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    I like the new look.πŸ‘ It is cool to see the latest discussions, so that I needn't search for it.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    I agree with Troll_So_Hard on disabling the like in "Chit Chat section".
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    I like that sidebar.. Keep these innovative changes coming in future... πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I can't wait to tell all of you what's being worked on πŸ˜‰
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I am already used to this layout and I think reading has become a bit easier on eyes now. β˜•
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    [Prototype]
    Honestly speaking, I dislike the new layout. Looks kinda, umm, messy. It may be placed in bottom in horizontal alignment rather than vertical. That would serve the purpose without affecting the look.
    Agreed
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    AbraKaDabra
    We will be rolling more content on the sidebar very soon. So, share your feedback and let us know what's awesome and what sucks.

Waiting for replies from all of you.
    Awesome πŸ‘ I just loved it.

Guys, can you develop an App for Android/iOS to access this forum? 😍
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I liked the "birthdays" tab πŸ˜€

The_Big_K
    What could it be ?? πŸ˜•
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    The_Big_K
    waiting eagerly for the new changes...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I did notice that something was different. I am quite tolerant to changes.
    In my opinion the changes are welcome.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    bioramani, Please take a moment to express your opinion about latest updates on CE. #-Link-Snipped-#.
    Why does this keep repeating even after I have replied?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    Why does this keep repeating even after I have replied?
    Click on 'Dismiss Notification' to remove it.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Oh I like the new changes,its good.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    The new changes are nice...! quick access...! πŸ˜€
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    last time the CE upgrade is better than the previous and I believe the coming is good than this - I'd like notifications to appear like the message that lead me into this thread. It's actually attracted me to click that. It might work for joining more CEans into CE as well as people don't like to read long and informative messages like it's now.

i.e., when ever some one logged on to CE - if a message appears like this join in or something like that - then there'll be a requirement that CEan has to close that window there the chances of CEan joining in and moving forward will be more. We always attract towards something flashing and make sure that it's not too flashy too πŸ˜‰

This is only a suggestion Biggie - as it's free of cost πŸ˜› πŸ‘
  • Saijayadeep
    Saijayadeep
    i liked the new layout....it fills the time gap of searching new threads and latest discussions,but i felt that a person may get sticked to these latest threads leaving many more threads which require replies from many wise people, its better if the threads in latest discussions is increasing after a certain period...(i mean half an hour to half an hour like that)...rest of the things are good!
  • Smeechi Mittal
    Smeechi Mittal
    *Like*
    It looks like a wise use of space to me and the best thing- I can keep an eye on everything going around.
    I think that the changes have added life to the basic layout, it somehow looks a bit more interactive to me πŸ˜›

πŸ‘
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    It's good,
    A bit faster experience for the folks that keep watching for the latest discussion.'

Also, showing online users on every page is good.
    Liked the changes.

Dying to get a mobile version of CE πŸ˜€

-CB
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    The_Big_K
    The message space has been shrunk; ...
    That's the one think I like about it.

Something that I dislike about a lot of websites is the demand that I keep my browser wide. But in fact I tend to keep a lot of windows open and bounce around. I keep my browser narrow enough that I can only see about half of the new column. So it's nice that the message area is now designed to be a convenient width.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Good to see a lot of people above reflecting my thoughts. πŸ‘
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    I like the birthday column πŸ˜€ Why don't we have the signup or login in the very first page of website?
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    But the username in birthday column displays on top of next user. Or is it only me who is not able to see it?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    anuraadha
    I like the birthday column πŸ˜€ Why don't we have the signup or login in the very first page of website?
    We do have. Where aren't you seeing the log-in button?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    so far so good. no complaints about anything as such.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    We have it @ab
    AbraKaDabra
    We do have. Where aren't you seeing the log-in button?
    Yeah we have. But as soon as we visit the site, It says "become a member" in the right side, as far as I know. Instead it can have a login button. My suggestion.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    We can control what's displayed there. I thought it adds no value πŸ˜‰ . Yeah; I think 'Likes Received' could be a good stat to display. What do people say?
    I agree with that.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Hey ! now i will tell you what really sucks ! there is this new side-thingy called the "latest discussions". when i just point my cursor over a link present there, then a black bubble appears and vibrates like as if it will explode if you don't click on it. but when i click on the link, it never opens.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    zaveri
    Hey ! now i will tell you what really sucks ! there is this new side-thingy called the "latest discussions". when i just point my cursor over a link present there, then a black bubble appears and vibrates like as if it will explode if you don't click on it. but when i click on the link, it never opens.
    You are not supposed to click the black bubble. It just reads the whole title for you.
    I hope I am not missing something here.
  • Manashree Thokal
    Manashree Thokal
    Latest Discussion on every thread page is a good idea. Users online and Birthdays is not necessary on every page- redundancy; does not solve waste of space issue.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    why it doesn't show the latest discussion on community home page?
    Is that intended?

-CB
  • suganya devi
    suganya devi
    The IDEA for the right panel is a pretty good thing...!! It would be more catchy if the font and the size is changed, something creative can be done on that aspect ..πŸ˜€ just my opinion...!!​
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    crazyboy
    why it doesn't show the latest discussion on community home page?
    Is that intended?
    -CB
    It will be there soon. πŸ‘
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    looks like a good initiative, could be better and hope of an awesome outcome...
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    AbraKaDabra
    You are not supposed to click the black bubble. It just reads the whole title for you.
    I hope I am not missing something here.
    No i am not clicking on the bubble. just clicking on the link and it never opens.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    zaveri
    No i am not clicking on the bubble. just clicking on the link and it never opens.
    I hope your are not using IE, Are you?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    IE keeps troubling us all the time. I've always faced problems with IE handling JavaScript and Flash. While we don't use Flash on the site (Google Ads, do) there could be weird problems with IE.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

I am using Google chrome.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

I am using Google chrome.
    What's the operating system that you have? Does it happen all the time?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    What's the operating system that you have? Does it happen all the time?
    thankfully now the problem has been resolved.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zaveri
    thankfully now the problem has been resolved.
    Frankly speaking, I did't do anything at all. It's just the browser that handles stuff the way it wants. Everything should work just fine on Chrome and Firefox and IE9, I suppose.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Now all the pages look like the PM page! πŸ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    Now all the pages look like the PM page! πŸ˜”
    ...and you don't seem to like it.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    how abt a reddit look 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    how abt a reddit look 😁
    That's how exactly it was in the 'default' state. We're just bringing things together; you know.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Birthday tab is playing game it is there sometimes and after refreshing page sometimes it goes away.

PS: I'm surfing via Opera Mini, Ignore if this is common for mobile browser.
    The_Big_K
    ...and you don't seem to like it.
    You know! I am working with a 23" Monitor and it looks soo small... Waiting for a fluid layout! πŸ˜€ Hey, the real estate here is too much. Think of implementing a responsive CSS. Need help?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    You know! I am working with a 23" Monitor and it looks soo small... Waiting for a fluid layout! πŸ˜€ Hey, the real estate here is too much. Think of implementing a responsive CSS. Need help?
    Of course it'd look small on 23" monitor. All you've to do is zoom the website and see how super-cool it looks. In fact I open all the websites on zoom mode when working on a big monitor.
    The_Big_K
    Of course it'd look small on 23" monitor. All you've to do is zoom the website and see how super-cool it looks. In fact I open all the websites on zoom mode when working on a big monitor.
    Tried it.. Looks awesome! Love the new layout! πŸ˜€
  • Engg.Dee
    Engg.Dee
    its good...
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    i think we can provide this right tab with arrow feature like in IDE to hide or show ,so it can be easy fro anyone to display or not
  • Engg.Dee
    Engg.Dee
    awsmmmm......!πŸ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Engg.Dee
    awsmmmm......!πŸ‘
    Good to hear that. Had you seen the older layout without the sidebar?
  • Engg.Dee
    Engg.Dee
    The_Big_K
    Good to hear that. Had you seen the older layout without the sidebar?
    no ....actually i joined yesterday .....but i would be much better than that..!
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    I saw new look today. It is good to have a sidebar, but it looks little compact. I have a suggestion, in these days most of us are using 16:9 screens. So why you don't use all the screen space. I can see there is still lot of free space on left and right side. If we can use that too then compactness will be no issue at all.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Kishan Gupta
    I saw new look today. It is good to have a sidebar, but it looks little compact. I have a suggestion, in these days most of us are using 16:9 screens. So why you don't use all the screen space. I can see there is still lot of free space on left and right side. If we can use that too then compactness will be no issue at all.
    While launching any new design; we've to consider all the screen sizes and we still see a large number of visitors using smaller resolution screens. We already ignore those who use older IE versions and ultra-low resolution monitors. Those who use wide-screen monitors may simply zoom the site and everything looks nice. I use 27" monitor and any site looks so small that without zoom it's impossible to read.

Plus, having a fixed width layout helps us know how the things will look for the majority of us. It is useful in planning for the newer features.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    . I use 27" monitor and any site looks so small that without zoom it's impossible to read.
    Agree with most of the things, but 27" monitor 😁; Why don't you use 50" TV screen.

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    crazyboy
    Agree with most of the things, but 27" monitor 😁😁; Why don't you use 50" TV screen.

-CB
    Kishan Gupta
    #-Link-Snipped-#, this is what even I am saying. We can use responsive CSS for folks like me. What say? Shall I modify the CSS and send you?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    #-Link-Snipped-#, this is what even I am saying. We can use responsive CSS for folks like me. What say? Shall I modify the CSS and send you?
    Why not? Send it across.
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    being new to the family, i won't be able to comment much on the new layout,
  • yuuki
    yuuki
    there must be a chat section and to see who are the members that are online....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    yuuki
    there must be a chat section and to see who are the members that are online....
    You can see the members who are online at any point of time in the sidebar. If you're following any of the users, you can view them in the same place, as well.
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    The_Big_K
    You can see the members who are online at any point of time in the sidebar. If you're following any of the users, you can view them in the same place, as well.
    in addition, chat confines the discussion between two members while the other miss out.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    How about subscribing the alerts to our phone number as a text message??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vishal0203
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    How about subscribing the alerts to our phone number as a text message??
    Maybe our Android / iOS app will have it. I'm not sure about introducing TEXT message notifications. But I agree that it'll be a great feature to have.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Adapted...
  • yuuki
    yuuki
    ow ow..i think you have to add book section,where we can download reference books(pdf) of every engineering field...that's a dream of a college student like me....
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Request to the mod and the forum modders, can we have a "My Watched Threads" widget in the sidebar?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    Request to the mod and the forum modders, can we have a "My Watched Threads" widget in the sidebar?
    Yes we can. But just a point - we display alerts whenever there's a reply to a watched thread; so those threads are never missed.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Hmmm....looks nice, but a little compact. May be it will take some time to get habitual. Though the new sidebar looks great. I guess it could be floated, so i dont have to scroll up everytime i wish to see it.
    Biggie, tried with the initial CSS3 thingy. Its getting broken. I need more time. Probably by tomorrow I can give you the responsive CSS... πŸ˜€ Coz, almost many things have to be considered. πŸ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Take your time. We're in no hurry!
  • happy-boson
    happy-boson
    I like it!😁
  • gaurav91
    gaurav91
    yeah i agree with #-Link-Snipped-#.. regarding the liking rule in chit chat section.. mostly a discussion section or a informative thread should have a like button..n i like the side bar you can get hot topic u interest in, in one look..
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Hi, One more suggestion I want to give, Can we introduce Search Tab for search within a Discussion. As many Discussions are become lengthy with time, and for a user to go through all the post is difficult.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If we want the search-thread facility; we'll have to give up on the Google Search facility. But I agree that I miss 'search thread facility' as well. By the way, Google does a great job of indexing every post made on CE; so it's possible to search for content.

But if you want some advance search option; head over to: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Thanks #-Link-Snipped-# I never checked that before. πŸ˜€
    Kishan Gupta
    Thanks #-Link-Snipped-# I never checked that before. πŸ˜€
    You could have seen the Google Custom Search at the top right of the page? Didn't you?
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Praveen-Kumar
    You could have seen the Google Custom Search at the top right of the page? Didn't you?
    Ya already know......

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello guys,i am working on a final year project and im stuck i intend to monitor the perfomance of cold rooms which are 200km away.I need to be able to...
I want to do something very creative on image processing. I don't know how to start?
Hi all, I am currently working on a port construction project. Can anyone give me any idea of what to tackle in such project? I am not worried about the...
This is a Logic Puzzle about men who commute daily to their jobs.​Amos, Clem, Dave, Eric, and Glen all live and work in small towns along the notorious Interstate Highway...
Can u help me to implement this project titled Fire and smoke alarm system with auto-dialer to fire station.