CCNA Lab set up

I Believe we have lot of CEans who have given thier CCNA exams. One thing which I am unable to find - is a proper lab set up .
I understand the minimum requirement would be a set up 2 routers and switch , but I am not sure what would be an ideal set up and what specific router models to be used.
Anyone?

Replies

• vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Visit this site
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    thanks , will go through it. Actually I came across one more set up here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    found the article well describing but quite old..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Durga, do you really intend to purchase second hand Cisco routers and switches?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I fear, yes and no.
    if the second hand ones dont go good, its just a waste of my money and first hand ones are quite expensive.
    as of now I am deciding upon 2960 catalyst switch and still looking for the router though.
    I need to decide on the number of routers/switches as well.Not sure if I can accomodate all in a single months budget :-|
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    What is your budget? Also, what do you plan to do with this lab? Because if its just to learn, then you can use Cisco network simulators.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    budget is around 300-500AUD.
    It is mainly for learning and some hands on experience.Somehow I came to a conclusion working on real switches would be better than simulators.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Fair enough ๐Ÿ˜€ I've got limited experience with Cisco hardware, but I know owning some will be more fun. Maybe the first place you can look is Ebay Australia.

[1] #-Link-Snipped-#
    [2] #-Link-Snipped-# OR #-Link-Snipped-#
    [3] #-Link-Snipped-#

You can use the 3640 router to simulate the WAN cloud and/or PSTN network if you want to try out VoIP projects.

I think all 4 items combined will fit your budget. I feel the second hand devices will work well enough, since you don't need to run them 24/7 in a critical enterprise environment (i.e you can afford the random resets ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) What is important is that the IOS software is fully functional.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hey thanks for that heaps of info..
    not sure , but I assumed (again) IOS would be provided with the switch. For second hand ones that should not be a problem though , again given that they worked well before.
    I read in cisco site ( I think) that 3640 is enough, but was thinking whats a big difference between 3640 and 3620.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The software would be provided with the routers and switches, it would be strange if it was otherwise. However, in terms of learning the latest IOS version that CCNA (and onwards) covers is another thing. You'll need to check with the Cisco hardware sellers.

You can check here for the differences between 3640 and 3620:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Thanks for that. Will check out (once I am at leisure of home) and will update the thread ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I have decide upon these two:
    switchr:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

router:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Just done buying the 2651XM ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Awesomeness! Oh, don't forget to get a Cisco console cable if you haven't done so already.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Googsystray Version: 1.0.3 File Size: 8747 License: Free Googsystray is a system tray application designed for Google Voice, GMail, Google Calendar, and Google Reader. This application will notify you on...
A man checked into a hotel. There was a computer in his room, so he decided to send an e-mail to his wife. However, he accidentally typed wrong e-mail address,...
Hi I know vbulletin has this option where you can add prefix to the thread. I think this will be particularly useful in forums that are shared by two different...
Hi there, Civil engineer here. I have a diploma in civil engineering but now working towards getting a degree. My main reason for joining this forum is to keep my...
All of us are familiar with the two top-notch software makers Microsoft and Apple. This is what Wikipedia says about the two - Apple Inc. is an American multinational corporation...