Case Study: Which business to start?

You are not allowed a PG by your family members.and they insist that u start a business instead.but they are not sponsoring you,neither you r allowed to take loans.. nor u have enough money urself.what business you will start? and how?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    believe in yourself

integratdbrains
    You are not allowed a PG by your family members.and they insist that u start a business instead.but they are not sponsoring you,neither you r allowed to take loans.. nor u have enough money urself.what business you will start? and how?
    An interesting topic and I'll be the first one to reply πŸ˜€ !

you are not allowed a PG by your family members.and they insist that u start a business instead.
    The topic ends in 'What business will you start?' . Now there are a few aspects that need to be considered -
    • One cannot be an entrepreneur without his/her will. Entrepreneurship as a career is entirely different from other careers. Its about having a vision, setting up goals and trying your best to achieve them.
    • I'd not take entrepreneurship as a career if I want to do Post Graduation (PG). I'd try to convince parents that I may not be successful as an entrepreneur and doing post graduation will actually help me achieve my dreams.
    In short, I'd follow the path which I think is right.
    but they are not sponsoring you,neither you r allowed to take loans.. nor u have enough money urself.what business you will start? and how?
    This needs a second thought. Do you really need lot of money to start a business? From my personal experience, starting any venture needs - Financial Knowledge, a network and a strong inner desire to turn your dreams into reality. Common Sense is taken for granted. Study all the big businesses! How many of them really started with what we might call 'lot of money' ? Probably just a few of them.

What business to start is a question that can be only answered in one way - What business do you want to start? The answers should come from inside.

How to start a business can be taught. If you are clueless, I recommend reading books. Study how businesses got started and how they grew. Read 'The Google Story' if you ever get a chance. It should give you a clear idea. Find a mentor who will guide you.

That's how it is! πŸ˜€

-The Big K-
  • rick
    rick
    my view

I agree with biggie. You may not need lot of money to get started. But financial knowledge is a must.

If I were in such situation, I'd start a web design company. You can start a web design company with a computer. You will have to find the clients and internet can be your best market place. There are lots of people who want to have their business on web. However, my choice is supplemented by my experience in web designing. It may be different for you.

rick
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    great going..

what can i say about big k's smartness.. !! rick u r always cool... where r stepzz..,neha,aashima,crazyboy.. comeon guys we r missing you alot here! πŸ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    integratdbrains
    what can i say about big k's smartness.. !! rick u r always cool... where r stepzz..,neha,aashima,crazyboy.. comeon guys we r missing you alot here! πŸ˜€
    I will tell you my idea's later...
    But first i will tell you some other experiences...which i know...
    "One can buy a land in 10 laks....a large property.... without paying saying the owner that i will return you in 10 days...than he sold that in 10 % discount and take a amount before giving him papers....
    He made 10% profit in this deal...means Rs. 100000"

Will you say it a fraud...???? If yes than why?? This is something i saw...

Mine ideas...
    I will start a coaching institute....you know that this business is in great demand....and you can head start it without money in your pocket...And see KOTA...in Rajasthan thousands of students are coming there for the IIT or other other exam preparations...
    And fees is 25k per student...
    Those guys are millioner today...
    Am dreaming of that...

πŸ˜€
    😁
    --Am Crazy
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    teaching!

I agree with crazyboy πŸ˜€ !

If you want to start a business with minimum investment, go into teaching business. Depending on interest and education, one may start with a group of 5 students.

I'd recommend joining a coaching class to get some teaching experience.

-The Big K-
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    I agree with crazyboy πŸ˜€ !

If you want to start a business with minimum investment

-The Big K-
    Biggi i have one more idea....
    Its tough...but if you have a good contact list and reputations... In addition to that if you have good personality which can force pals to thinks on what ever you say..
    than i guess consultancy is the best business to start with...just give suggestions and check the things that they are going right...i know its tough but all you need is good communication skills and sense of humor...
    You will be surely find a good amount of money in you r pocket within a shorter duration ...if you will work sincerly on that

What say biggi....

--crazy😁
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    ya coaching classes are cool..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    my value addition

Well, I'm may not comment on the consultancy business. Now, we need to think about the basic definitions. Being in a business and being self-employed - have different meanings.

A business is a self sustaining system whereas being self-employed needs you to be working everyday. I will not go into detailed explanations here.

Coming back to the original case study, I'll stick to the point that 'Entrepreneurship' cannot be forced. So if one wants to be an entrepreneur, he/she should feel the desire to be one, from inside. Let us expect some more inputs from Namrata a.k.a integratdbrains !

-The Big K-
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    The_Big_K
    Well, I'm may not comment on the consultancy business. Now, we need to think about the basic definitions. Being in a business and being self-employed - have different meanings.

A business is a self sustaining system whereas being self-employed needs you to be working everyday. I will not go into detailed explanations here.

Coming back to the original case study, I'll stick to the point that 'Entrepreneurship' cannot be forced. So if one wants to be an entrepreneur, he/she should feel the desire to be one, from inside. Let us expect some more inputs from Namrata a.k.a integratdbrains !

-The Big K-

Again bigK in one of his DS moods! Yes of course i agree with you that nothing can be forced on anyone.. and even if one is successful in forcing its sure that it will take him/her nowhere.After graduation(not necessarily)an individual is mature enough to take the decisions.Entrepreneurship is the most easy thing on this earth that you can do.(got it so i am planning to do it!!πŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    is it really?

integratdbrains
    .Entrepreneurship is the most easy thing on this earth that you can do.(got it so i am planning to do it!!πŸ˜‰
    Is it really the easiest thing on earth? πŸ˜€ My experience says it is one of the most difficult things to do.

Easiest thing would be to get a job and try to climb the corporate ladder πŸ˜‰

-The Big K- 😁
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    ya u need to climb the corporate ladder!! climbing something i m too tired for now !!i will have an escalator or an elevator or both in my company!! πŸ˜‰ its better i keep both!
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    Is it really the easiest thing on earth? πŸ˜€ My experience says it is one of the most difficult things to do.

Easiest thing would be

-The Big K- 😁
    Am agree with you biggi...
    "

Easiest thing would be talking about it that," it is the most easiest thing...."
    "

No offence means....

--CrazyπŸ˜”
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Its ok crazyboy.. i know its really very easy to speak about it..but believe me only a bit of difficult than that, is going into it.. Well only i can say is it may differ for every individual!πŸ˜€
  • crook
    crook
    nice topic

Its time to add my comment in this interesting discussion. I can see everyone has his or her opinions about this topic. As described in the case study, our protagonist wants to take up a business because he/she is not allowed to do PG.

However, I think the statements are conflicting, well not a clear conflict, but a little. Parents would know their son's/daughter's situation. If they are forcing him or her to start a business, they should be willing to help in case of need. This need may be financial or emotional or whatever!

I have never started any business. But I can say is that you cannot start a business because your friends think a business is good. Are your friends lending you a helping hand? Or are they willing to partner with you and share your risks?

Starting a business, I think, is risky. Specially, when you do not have enough capital to get started and your family may not support you in case anything goes wrong.

Again, the decision of which business to start depends on various factors. Your location, available capital, as biggie says; your network, your interest and experience. But to minimize the risk, one may takeup courses on entrepreneurship and what it takes to start any business. One may also start with SSI & grow it into a big corporation.

The bottom line is that you get educated on what it takes to start and run a business and then take a plunge.

CrooK
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    crook has a point and I support it.

the focus is on parents. why do they insist on starting a business? any special reasons for that?

why would one not allow to take loan? how can one expect to start a business without money?

Jerry
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Jerry
    crook has a point and I support it.

the focus is on parents. why do they insist on starting a business? any special reasons for that?

why would one not allow to take loan? how can one expect to start a business without money?

Jerry
    Any updates on this thread? πŸ˜‰

Jerry's got interesting questions.

-The Big K-
  • pradypop
    pradypop
    Well, intresting discussion here. My experiences might help.

I never had money or experience. I started by joining a guy who had a piece of property which was not being used since 3-4yrs because of lot of disadvantages of location. I joined as a working partner there. I started training in hardware assembling because i had an old 386 pc at that place. When we start we feel things are eazy. Its only over a period of time we realise that its needs a lot more to get things moving. I never got a penny for advertisments or an other support. My first student was a salesman who visited the place to sell pens. He joined hardware for 500/- bucks. That took me 3 months and helped me to avoid closing of the institute for a week(my partner had lost his patience by then). I released a classified ad, with that amount. That generated 4-5 enquires. 3 joined. 1500 bucks!!! few more ads. I managed to save 9000/- in 8-months. Thats when i decided that i'll go alone. I took a place and promised the owner to deposit rent and advance in a months time. I purchased a table and a chair and released two 5x4 ads for embedded systems. generated abut 15-18 enquires. Converted 3 of them.

That earned me about 30k. Made part payment to owner and released lot more ads. And things moved on.

In 18 months since I got 12 employees, 6 engineers, more than 15 lacks of assets, monthly turnover in excess of a lack and a half and lots of corporate clients.

Its important to take calculated risks at regular intervals. Also be prepared to the fact that there will be atleast 10times more failures than successes everyday. Just never give up.

Hope this helps to give you some idea of starting a business. Well, I failed to mention. My parents always supported me. Only they never had any spare money. They did sell off every thing they had to educate me and my brother.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lesson!

Simply Amazing! πŸ˜€

There's lot to learn, newbie/wanna-be entrepreneurs ! Read the following quote 20 times -
    Its important to take calculated risks at regular intervals. Also be prepared to the fact that there will be atleast 10times more failures than successes everyday. Just never give up.
    -The Big K-
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    doubleposting

Sorry for the double post, but I can't help quoting Mahesh Murthy -

When asked "99% of the new start-ups fail, so why start a business?"

Mahesh replies "100% of the humans die, why live?" πŸ˜€

So the lesson is - Never Give Up !

-The Big K-
  • rick
    rick
    The_Big_K
    Sorry for the double post, but I can't help quoting Mahesh Murthy -

When asked "99% of the new start-ups fail, so why start a business?"

Mahesh replies "100% of the humans die, why live?" πŸ˜€

So the lesson is - Never Give Up !

-The Big K-
    lol ! How true !

Nice post, pradypop [​IMG]
  • aashima
    aashima
    Too late to post here but i too will go with all of them above namrata!!! Starting off a new business has its own ingredients but the most vital of them being your inner will.
    Everyone has the capability to turn a barren land into a fertile one, all that differ is the mode of doing it. And again, next what is required is few resources good enough to initiate, innovative ideas and ofcourse the knowledge. I believe if you have thorough knowledge about the task you are planning to undertake, you are
    over with a large part of the work already!!!

And as mentioned above, if you are short of even those few resources, go for coaching or any classes (may be hobby if you prefer). They are in great demand today and who knows you could make it a business as well πŸ˜‰. That would rather be more self satisfactory starting from a scratch!!!
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    integratdbrains
    Starting a business is no cake walk. For those who have no experience, joining a entrepreneur workshop is the best way to get started.

For the new entrepreneurs, Entrepreneur - Start, run and grow your business. might be a useful resource.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rocker
    Starting a business is no cake walk. For those who have no experience, joining a entrepreneur workshop is the best way to get started.

For the new entrepreneurs, Entrepreneur - Start, run and grow your business. might be a useful resource.
    Well, starting a business is a cake walk but keeping it alive for for first 365 days is tough! 😁

We, on CE, will promote Entrepreneurship. There are lot of things an entrepreneur needs to know; unfortunately no school teaches the basics of entrepreneurship.

-The Big K-
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    The Big K has a point there, how many engineering colleges or for that matter b-Schools teach Enterpreneurship. In fact, these days the engineering colleges seem to be specifically catering to the Indian IT industry. Personally, I am glad because of that πŸ˜€, but what about those people who want to start off something on their own?

Just a couple of things to note for such peeps -
    1. Ensure that the risk you are taking is well deserved and you have really thought this over with
    2. Now is the time to take that plunge, once you reach the middle-ages (read 30s), taking this big step would be increasingly difficult
    3. Always work for something that makes you smile

my $0.2
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    Just a couple of things to note for such peeps -
    1. Ensure that the risk you are taking is well deserved and you have really thought this over with
    2. Now is the time to take that plunge, once you reach the middle-ages (read 30s), taking this big step would be increasingly difficult
    3. Always work for something that makes you smile

my $0.2
    Well, above all, have a right mindset! If you constantly tell yourself that starting a business is a 'Risk' then it will be a 'Risk'. Tell yourself that its 'Fun' and it will be 'Fun'!

Its simple, but you got to have "Screw IT, Let's Do IT" attitude!

-The Big K-
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I am not saying that you should not start off by getting afraid of the Risk. Just that a Screw It, Lets do It attitude would be okay for someone who is single and not looking :smile:.

What about those people who are married, with children and have to take a decision between sustained cash flows of the job or the freedom of self-employment?

The point I was trying to make is, that if you are lets say 23-28, its an ideal time for you to start off ... post 30, one would also have to evaluate other factors.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    What about those people who are married, with children and have to take a decision between sustained cash flows of the job or the freedom of self-employment?

The point I was trying to make is, that if you are lets say 23-28, its an ideal time for you to start off ... post 30, one would also have to evaluate other factors.
    I understand your point. I still believe, while taking a decision, you got to have 'Screw IT, Do IT" attitude.

I've read numerous books on people who took decisions and then started on their own. Its disheartening to see that people use age/money/family as excuses for their laziness and inability to take decisions.

I totally agree with you that with more responsibilities on your shoulders, its a tougher decision to take. But things can be planned out. When you are convinced that you are ready to do something which you love, is profitable and fills the 'void', you must say "Screw It, do it" and get started.

But majority are busy inventing excuses.

-The Big K-
    p.s: Read this article-
    CrazyEngineers
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Got bored, So what I am doing is bumping the interesting threads. It will Liven up some pals over here. 2 year seems to be like a generation in CE. So c'on friends, just post your comments... I am pushing it ahead for today. "Bumpppppppppppppppp"
  • vinci
    vinci
    i think one can begin with teaching more easily an understanding as we all are from some schools or college wherever and hence knows better how a teacher does his.her jobs,also knows about administration and management so things becomes easy when you know and implement.Also learning how to manage an institution practically is itself a big achievement .Later on, can move to another business while continuing institution work
  • anirudhm
    anirudhm
    Well, i'd certainly look to start a web based business, probably a blog that could be monetized in some way. There is low start-up cost and it's more interesting than most 'traditional' businesses!

I recently read about a blog that provides bollywood reviews - can't remember the name but the guy must be making good money as he's advertising heavily.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Got a article from a forum... a good one so thought that i should post it here too... It will be benefecial... Play With Vocab..!! Mirth, genial, convivial, enraptured, blithe,...
I didn't saw a thread dedicated to idioms on this forum... Aren't we too late ... we should have start it too early... here i am starting a thread on...
Assume that each statement is either true or false. What is the unknown (whole) number from the following possibly false statements: At least one of the last two statements in...
Hello everyone! while you read this new post get a cup of coffee to really enjoy it!! πŸ˜‰ I am posting here a story which has made a lasting impression...
Hi All, At very now...we 6 are on line... Me, Neha, Admin, Aasima, Aditi and Integratdbrains I want to talk to some of these buddies....how will I... Either there should...