Career Opportunities For Employees Who've Been Fired

The American corporate trend of hiring and then firing the employees is now 'settling' in Indian IT as well. No one really expected that the companies like Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) will ever fire employees in bulk; but it appears to be the truth: TCS Layoff To Affect 25000 Employees? .

I believe as a community of engineers, we need to stand with the employees who got fired from their jobs and help them plan the next phase in their career. This discussion is aimed at figuring out various ways and helping the employees get back into the game plan as soon as possible.

Things you can do after getting laid off:

1. Look for jobs in startups: It's important that you maintain a positive cash flow even after your EMIs. You have the biggest asset - 'experience'. Combine it with your skills-set and pitch to startup companies. Be flexible enough to adapt the startup culture and you should be all set.

2. Take a break: If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend taking a break for say 4-6 months. Go on a vacation for 2-4 weeks and then spend the rest of your break updating yourself with new skills and keep looking for a new job.

3. Realise your entrepreneurial dreams: The layoff may be a blessing in disguise. You might have been wanting to start a new venture on your own but were afraid to lose your job. But now that the worst has happened, you should seriously consider starting your entrepreneurial journey. Think about what problem can you solve - and get going!

4. Come together and start your own services company: The people in similar situation may get together and start a new services company. Quote the rates half of what your company was quoting - to the same client you were working for! If you can crack it; you'll have the dollar / pound / euro inflow to take care of your needs. Starting a company is quite easier than you ever thought. Give it a try!

It's extremely important that you keep a positive attitude towards life and your career. That's the only thing that will help you sail through this phase of your life, successfully.

Replies

• Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The American corporate trend of hiring and then firing the employees is now 'settling' in Indian IT as well. No one really expected that the companies like Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) will ever fire employees in bulk; but it appears to be the truth: TCS Layoff To Affect 25000 Employees? .

I believe as a community of engineers, we need to stand with the employees who got fired from their jobs and help them plan the next phase in their career. This discussion is aimed at figuring out various ways and helping the employees get back into the game plan as soon as possible.

Things you can do after getting laid off:

1. Look for jobs in startups: It's important that you maintain a positive cash flow even after your EMIs. You have the biggest asset - 'experience'. Combine it with your skills-set and pitch to startup companies. Be flexible enough to adapt the startup culture and you should be all set.

2. Take a break: If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend taking a break for say 4-6 months. Go on a vacation for 2-4 weeks and then spend the rest of your break updating yourself with new skills and keep looking for a new job.

3. Realise your entrepreneurial dreams: The layoff may be a blessing in disguise. You might have been wanting to start a new venture on your own but were afraid to lose your job. But now that the worst has happened, you should seriously consider starting your entrepreneurial journey. Think about what problem can you solve - and get going!

4. Come together and start your own services company: The people in similar situation may get together and start a new services company. Quote the rates half of what your company was quoting - to the same client you were working for! If you can crack it; you'll have the dollar / pound / euro inflow to take care of your needs. Starting a company is quite easier than you ever thought. Give it a try!

It's extremely important that you keep a positive attitude towards life and your career. That's the only thing that will help you sail through this phase of your life, successfully.
    Great article!! Appreciate the ideas!! 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Another suggestion is to go for the post-graduation course that you were dying to pursue all along. Try for getting scholarship and in any case, do not sit idle. Start building your resume by joining certification coursers (And if you don't believe in certificates, learn a programming language or technology so well that 10 other guys with official certificates should fade away in comparison to your skills).
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Whenever recession comes, the institutes which give industry oriented knowledge/training grow like anything. People having IT background in Engineering rush towards those firms to posses those skill sets so that they stand above other competitors while attending recruitment process. If a person has spent 10-12 years in a company genuinely working there, he/she is the best knowledge hub since he/she is aware of in and out of these type of companies. So the persons can try their hand exposing themselves in those area as well.!!
  • RamaKrishna Prasad Kosuru
    RamaKrishna Prasad Kosuru
    I tried all the things mentioned in the post .Nothing worked out.I am unemployed from past 2 years
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    RamaKrishna Prasad Kosuru
    I tried all the things mentioned in the post .Nothing worked out.I am unemployed from past 2 years
    Except for the Universe, nothing works on its own. You have to make it work. It looks like you gave up too soon?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Here are the fact in Indian scenario:
    1. Job = Secure future, people stop learning
    2. Peer/family pressure and mentality is - If you don't have source of income (Job) even for a day, you are a failure. Even for students from high profile colleges. Ask a student situation who failed to secure the job in 1 round of campus drive, they will be so tensed.
    Even a person quite the job to take a break S/he will cursed every day by family (I am saying because family opinion matters here.). I don't know how it has been created but this what.

Here is my suggestion in such cases hurdles :
    I strongly recommend "take a break".
    Keep learning while you are off the job, It will make you busy and enhance skills. For technical side even you know the technology take some classes. It will fully refresh your skill.
    Earn certificates, even it is just to showoff in resume. It does put extra weight to your profile.
  • sandeepcrick
    sandeepcrick
    Pls watch my shortfilm on implications of IT Layoff -

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Any on who is syclo expert in this Group.Can you just help me in uploading images in agentry server.
In the summer we informed you that Google had started building prototypes of its self-driving cars and showed you an artist’s rendering of the final product. Today Google has proudly...
The Indian electronics giant, Videocon has launched an affordable smartphone Z50 Nova at Rs. 5,999 under the Infimium series and is available exclusively on Flipkart. Videocon has been known for...
After a series of online trolls and jokes that followed after the CAT results did not get declared during the December 3rd week, here's a news from Times of India...
Quote: The startup NanoLambda has developed a $10 spectrometer-on-a-chip that's suitable for use on a wide range of consumer devices. The Spectrum Sensor measures individual wavelengths and is accurate to...