Career in cyber security

hello friends i want to make my career in cyber security field can any body tell me which qualities are needed and how to start it.how can i join it and make my career in this field.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Qualities are the same as any 'engineer'. The skills, required would include deep knowledge of various operating systems, various networks, programming & scripting languages etc. Basically, a cyber security expert is incredibly good at understanding computing systems in depth.

Making a career in cyber security would be interesting and a lot of people are opting for it these days. I believe you should begin by taking a course on cyber security from a reputed institute. Do enquire about CISCO-NIIT cyber security program. I don't have first hand reviews of it; but it does look promising for the start.

Given your background in Electronics & Communication; I believe starting with networking is also a good option. If you are working with any company, it'd help if you can check if there are any learning opportunities in your company.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm tagging cyber security expert @#-Link-Snipped-# to offer more insights into career opportunities available.
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Qualities are the same as any 'engineer'. The skills, required would include deep knowledge of various operating systems, various networks, programming & scripting languages etc. Basically, a cyber security expert is incredibly good at understanding computing systems in depth.

Making a career in cyber security would be interesting and a lot of people are opting for it these days. I believe you should begin by taking a course on cyber security from a reputed institute. Do enquire about CISCO-NIIT cyber security program. I don't have first hand reviews of it; but it does look promising for the start.

Given your background in Electronics & Communication; I believe starting with networking is also a good option. If you are working with any company, it'd help if you can check if there are any learning opportunities in your company.
    thanks you tell about networking is it different if yes then what is it and how to join?
  • Rahul Jamgade
    Rahul Jamgade
    one should have good understanding of Networking and Systems. If you have some experience in this field , its better.

One can choose among many options available,
    • Digital Forensic Investigator
    • Pen Tester
    • Information Security Auditor
    • Network / Systems Security Engineer( Administrator)
    • Techno-Legal Consultant / Cyber Lawyers
    • Computer Crime Investigator
    • Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Analyst/Manager
    • Information assurance consultant

You can do couple of certifications , like:
    (ISC)2 - CISSP
    ISACA – CISM , CISA
    GIAC – GSEC,GPEN, GISF,GWAPT
    EC-Council – CEH, CHFI,LPT
    Cisco – CCNA Security
    COMPTIA – Security+
    ISACA - ISO 27001 LA

However the field is huge and you have to have basic knowledge in this area to choose the right option.

Try to get basic understanding into the field before jumping in.
  • NaveenTulsi
    NaveenTulsi
    Rahuljam
    one should have good understanding of Networking and Systems. If you have some experience in this field , its better.

One can choose among many options available,
    • Digital Forensic Investigator
    • Pen Tester
    • Information Security Auditor
    • Network / Systems Security Engineer( Administrator)
    • Techno-Legal Consultant / Cyber Lawyers
    • Computer Crime Investigator
    • Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Analyst/Manager
    • Information assurance consultant

You can do couple of certifications , like:
    (ISC)2 - CISSP
    ISACA – CISM , CISA
    GIAC – GSEC,GPEN, GISF,GWAPT
    EC-Council – CEH, CHFI,LPT
    Cisco – CCNA Security
    COMPTIA – Security+
    ISACA - ISO 27001 LA

However the field is huge and you have to have basic knowledge in this area to choose the right option.

Try to get basic understanding into the field before jumping in.

Hi there,
    I have a similar query like my friend has asked here. Say we do any of the above said certification in a technology, will that help us getting a good job in today's scenario. I'm also a ECE engineer. Graduated this year. Scored just below 60.
    What do you suggest to make a good career in this field ?
    Any suggestions/help from your will be appreciable.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

MIT Media Lab churns out interesting projects and new technologies every now and then. The latest innovation coming out of the minds of three MIT Researchers, namely Ayush Bhandari, Refael...
Quote: The Wright Flyer took off in 1903 powered by a measly 12 horsepower straight-four. Little did Orville and Wilbur know that just 110 years later, their pokey engines would...
More and more everyday objects are getting connected to the net. Whenever there is a link the threat of a hack hovers over it. The future will see lots more...
Quote: Energy Harvesting technologies use natural energy sources like light, vibration, pressure and temperature variation to create maintenance-free applications. Are you interested in this highly innovate and rapidly growing market?...
Quote: After discovering how to use her introversion to her advantage, Lisa Petrilli, CEO of C-Level Strategies, Inc., went from new college graduate to holding responsibility for a $750 million...