1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Career as a YouTuber - What are your thoughts?

Question asked by Kaustubh Katdare in #Career Help on Jan 18, 2020
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 18, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

With the growing popularity of YouTube, a lot of people have adopted video making on YouTube as their full-time profession. I'm wondering what do our fellow engineers think about career as a YouTuber? 

Do you think one can make a good career as a YouTuber? Are there enough opportunities to grow and sustain revenues through advertisements, affiliate income and brand promotions via YouTube? 

Or is it a temporary thing and a backup is a must? 

Posted in: #Career Help
saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Jan 23, 2020
Rank B3 - LEADER

Career as a You Tuber is kind of career as a blogger, the revenue model is different for sure, but what it needs is good content, patience until your use base grows and passion for providing excellent content. 

I dont think the one could sustain with the revenue that gets generated from the channel, atleast not until first few years. And there is a huge competition for channels , there is also piracy related issues where one copy from other source without really claiming it. So I think if one is very passionate about it, then its good to go.

I know few people who have dedicated channels for data science , they do it very passionately. 

bill yorke
bill yorke · Jan 23, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Career as a YouTuber seems an interesting bath. With increasing access to Internet and technology sophistication and growing reliance and access to online content, the rewards seems worth pursuing. 

However, I should note that you have to really be sure of the content from sourcing, motives, frequency,  legal access in certain sort of content etc. If you feel ripe for it, get right in pal.

Swarup Pan
Swarup Pan · Jan 23, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Right now its a very hard working field.

There is no guarantee of success. But there is an ample opportunity to represent yourself to the world.

There would be many ups and downs along the road but you have to keep trying.

There are akso many more options....

1. Query solving in live stream.

2. Teaching.

3. Gaming.

4. Skits.

5. Reviews

6. Reaction videos.

Etc.

[Prototype]
[Prototype] · Jan 24, 2020
Rank B1 - LEADER

That's one problem in opting for a creative field which requires innovations everyday. Sooner it later, people get bored with same type of content. Who likes you today may hate you tomorrow. I feel becoming a successful youtuber is difficult. But staying successful is even more difficult. It may look like an autopilot income but it's far from it. 

I feel there are easier ways to make money. 😅

Anoop Mathew
Anoop Mathew · Jan 24, 2020
Rank A3 - PRO

"If you did all the things you're capable of, you'd literally astound yourself." Sir Thomas Alva Edison.

That being said, YouTube is more of a platform to build your career. The fact that people don't understand is that growth on YouTube is based on not just passion, frequent posts, and audience, but highly dependent on one's mental readiness to take on a challenge. 

To talk about some well known YouTubers would give some perspective on this:-

1. 'MKBHD' - Marques Brownlee started YouTube since he was a kid. The guy is passionate about tech, and reviews products. Also, he's not just a tech YouTuber, he's also interested in the art of Film Making, including the advancement of video quality into 8K. Marques is also a professional Frisbee player. He doesn't endorse brands, but does get sponsors/affiliate stuff for his work

2. 'Casey Neistat' - From humble beginnings, and having a kid at age 17 to his then older girlfriend, Casey's the guy who's sort of pioneered the modern Vlogging lifestyle and inspired many. What people forget is that Casey was already an Ads Producer and he and his brother Van had already created their own show which was broadcasted in HBO. Casey also had a startup called 'Beme' which related to short videos which later got sold to CNN. Casey had also started a community for smaller YouTubers to grow, and launched a space called '368' in NYC so that YouTubers with less access can collab. Now, Casey has quit the daily Vlogging lifestyle, left NYC and moved to LA with his family and does less frequent videos, but everyone still knows him well.

3. 'Roman Atwood' - Known as a well known prankster on YouTube since many years. Roman is now staying in a house with farmlands and has a company (SmileMore) spreading smiles.

4. Logan Paul & Jake Paul - Brothers who have grown up on Vine and later on moved to YouTube. Have seen them with their explosive vlogging content and at times they fall into lot of negative issues as well. Both have their clothing brands and do a lot of affiliate marketing. But they're also into Movies/Music, etc. They also are into professional boxing now.

5. Technical Guruji - a recently started but well growing YouTuber who does tech reviews in Hindi, and also recently started vlogging. He's also got a business of his own prior to starting YouTube.

6. Flying Beast / FitMuscleTV - Gaurav Taneja who's an IIT grad, working as a Pilot, and also has a body building channel, and another vlogging channel.

7. Mumbiker Nikhil - Ex Air Host at Qatar Airways, and now partly taking care of Dad's business and also vlogging. He's passionate about biking and does a lot of interesting rides, and recently started his own clothing as well 

These are just some names. If you look across all of them, they don't just stick to YouTube for Money, they make use of YouTube to make money.

Having worked on some Short Films/ Music Videos and having seen close friends rise and some struggle on YouTube, would definitely say that YouTube isn't an easy game. It's a platform that will enable you to grow only as much as the passion you put into the work. 

You need to learn to 'not drain out' once all the fame comes to you. There're many folks who've left YouTube after surpassing Million+ followers because it was too much for them to take. 

Verdict: If you start YouTube, take it as a project not as a source of income, and you'd enjoy it more.

Ashraf HZ
Ashraf HZ · Jan 25, 2020
Rank A2 - PRO

Great post Anoop. I myself plan to run podcasts or vlogging on Youtube to talk about engineering stuff for the fun of it. It being a full time career would probably be incidental rather than the main purpose.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up