Career advise

I am 35 years old having almost 11 years of experience in IT and currently working as technical lead

I scored average in academics, I am not smart thinker and my firends says I am gullible

I am not good in General Knowledge and since I grown up in small town , I was only aware of engineer and doctor being as career options

I did B.Tech in computers and scored 66.1 % with paid seat

After completing my college , I did not allow to sit in any campus interview because I scored below 60% in 10th and 12th

Initially I worked in non IT firm for 1 year and then managed to get into IT

Being a developer I worked hard and received client appreciations but down the line I realized that I am not smart and I put extra efforts in doing tasks

I am currently married and have daughter of 4.5 years

I am always fond of travelling abroad and earn lot of money but my parents are quite old, I think the only good option to earn money in less time is going onsite in IT

There is currently no onsite opportunity for me in my company

Currently at this stage of my career I am feeling like life is survival with only 10% hike per year

Sometimes I think I am not suitable for IT, may be I should have done MBA and at current stage it seems quite difficult to change the field

Can someone please help advise me

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Welcome to CrazyEngineers and thank you for sharing your current situation with us.

I think having survived in IT industry for over a decade is an indicator that you're above average in everything. While you've explained your current situation very well, you have not mentioned the problems you are facing. Is it that you are unhappy with the pay and are looking for ways to make more money? Or is it that you want to know about possibilities of going abroad and maybe working there?

Vaibhav_it
    Sometimes I think I am not suitable for IT, may be I should have done MBA and at current stage it seems quite difficult to change the field
    MBA could have been, or would still be an option ONLY IF it fits in your master career plan. There's definitely more to it.

PS: Do consider using our Career Guidance app on #-Link-Snipped-# where you can discuss your personal/career queries privately and securely.
  • Vaibhav_it
    Vaibhav_it
    I think having survived in IT industry for over a decade is an indicator that you're above average in everything.
    Thanks for boosting my confidence

I want to work abroad for sometime until I become 40 , I have completely no idea whether I should do MBA or not at this stage
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    MBA will be a plus only if you can afford it. But that'd also mean you will have to prepare for GMAT. I'd suggest looking at financing options and figure out if it works in your plan. Keep in mind that it's a costly affair. So plan wisely.
  • Vaibhav_it
    Vaibhav_it
    is it that you want to know about possibilities of going abroad and maybe working there?
    Yes, Can you suggest on above?, I want to go abroad and work for sometime
  • Vaibhav_it
    Vaibhav_it
    Hi, Can someone suggest please

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Has anyone ever thought, why Jio is the only operator capable of providing VoLTE but the other operators are unable to provide VoLTE ?
Perhaps you’re looking for a job change or preparing to crack an interview coming up, or maybe you’re an Embedded Software engineer just looking to collaborate with like minded people,...
The technological world of ours boasts to be constantly connected; lion’s share of which goes to the social media networks along with the instant messaging applications. Adding to the likes...
Quote: It’s time we took action to address a growing cultural distaste for technical detail and expert opinion argues The Secret Engineer. Endquote There’s a large elephant in the room...
How many CEans agree with Elan? Quote: Artificial intelligence the "biggest risk that we face as a civilization" Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said Saturday, speaking to state leaders...