Career Advice on Software Testing

Hello CE Members,
I am Abrar and this is my first post on CE.
I am a 2012 passout BE (ECE). Seeking for an advice on Career change on to Software Testing.
I had initially joined an MNC for Technical Support Role for 2 years, which lead me no where in career developement. I know i have realised it very late for a career change, but I have made up my mind and want to be Software Test Engineer.
I'm also CCNA certified but not that interested in Networking.

Questions :
Is it possible to change career now for a 2012 passout ? As I have heard a lots of No No from my peers.

I have a mere idea on Manual Testing Methodologies but still require an advise as to where do I start from ? (Preferred institute in Bangalore).

Is it recommended to go for an ISTQB certification now or should I go for it later when I'm in the Role of Testing domain?
If yes, which would be the preferred institute in Bangalore for training on ISTQB certifications.

Will CCNA certification help me anywhere in my future as a Software Test Engineer ?

Thank You & Eagerly waiting for replies,
Abrar

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abrar Mehdi
    Is it possible to change career now for a 2012 passout ? As I have heard a lots of No No from my peers.
    Everything is possible if you are ready to put in time and efforts. Changing career path ain't a rocket science. If you've made up your mind to become a testing engineer, start working on finding out ways that will take you to your dream career. Naysayers will always be there. Ignore them.

Abrar Mehdi
    I have a mere idea on Manual Testing Methodologies but still require an advise as to where do I start from ? (Preferred institute in Bangalore).
    I'd want you to revisit your decision of getting into QA if you have only a little idea about manual testing and what's involved. If you've decided to make your career in QA, you ought to know what manual testing involves, methodologies. Again, it doesn't take more than a week for anyone with experience to understand various methodologies involved in manual testing.

Make sure you take your decision with eyes and ears wide open.

Abrar Mehdi
    Is it recommended to go for an ISTQB certification now or should I go for it later when I'm in the Role of Testing domain?
    Yes, certification would be helpful. It should be a confirmation of the knowledge that you posses. I'd recommend focusing heavily on self-learning using resources available online. There are several good blogs that will help you understand basics of manual and automation testing. Recommendations for institutes may come only from those who've taken the courses. Let's wait for more replies.

Abrar Mehdi
    Will CCNA certification help me anywhere in my future as a Software Test Engineer ?
    The beauty of QA is that it's applicable at every stage of product/service development. CCNA would definitely be a plus point if you get into network testing related projects.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Abrar Mehdi
    I had initially joined an MNC for Technical Support Role for 2 years, which lead me no where in career developement.
    Can you please explain what was the job profile? which technology? Why do you think, there was no career advancement! Also, let me hear, is there any scope in your company to switch you to testing department. Did you talk with officials? Its better to learn with in the company instead of joining a new firm, that's what I strongly believe! Thanks!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Xiaomi Mi3 owners may want to head over to the settings section of their phone to update the firmware. Xiaomi has started rolling out the brand new MIUI 6 update...
Looks like LinkedIn is down in India. I'm constantly getting error 503 Service Unavailable message. Not sure if it's just me - because proxy websites have been showing different results....
Quote: Learning how to take great pictures could take a lifetime. After all, photography is an art form and like all art forms, it takes time, patience and practice to...
There were times when Microsoft was the coolest companies in the silicon valley. The company single handedly dominated all the software business with its operating system, office productivity suite, server...
With an aim to provide no-wire workplace and to increase the productivity of businesses of all sizes, the Multinational Corp. Intel has announced the arrival of 5th generation Intel Core...