Cancer Treatment Tracking Made Easy With OncoCollect Software

A new software known as 'OncoCollect' has been designed and developed by Mr. Ramesh Nimmagadda, Director of Medical Oncology at Apollo Hospitals. The name for the software comes from 'Oncology' - the branch of medicine that deals with tumors. Now, it is known that there are more than 100 different types of cancer. Tens of millions of deaths occur every year around the globe due to cancer alone. In India, statistics shared by the World Health Organisation suggests that 5 Lakh people die from cancer every year. Amidst all this, cancer patients are suffering from the painful cancer treatments. The OncoCollect software comes into picture when doctors want to collect data about the outcome of these treatments and how patients react differently to various drugs.

It seems that doctors and medical researchers need to analyse the data about various cancer treatments because it has been found that Indian patients do not react to the the drugs in the same way that American or Chinese patients would. In fact, cancer patients in India are seen exhibiting more side effects and a lower tolerance level for toxicity of these drugs. By collecting and analysing the data on different cancer treatments using the OncoCollect software, researchers hopes to arrive at a more efficient and error-free standard treatment for Indian patients. The software is equipped for all types of cancers and lymphomas except blood cancers.

oncocollect-software
Dr. Ramesh B V Nimmagadda at Mahavir Cancer Sansthan, Patna
for installing the OncoCollect Software.
The software has been designed in a way that's easy to understand and install on a desktop in any hospital. OncoCollect takes the patients details, chosen drugs and the treatment regimen being followed as well as patient’s response in terms of side effects and results as its input. The pool of data generated as a result will be used for pattern recognition and the study of larger trends. The software will also highlight the cost of treatment borne by the patient and therefore further lead to find out the cost efficacy of treatments.

What are your thoughts about the OncoCollect software? Share with us in comments below.

Image Credit: Ramesh Nimmagadda Cancer Foundation

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want I.S. 4745-1968. If anybody have mail me
Though I am not getting time lately to engage with the community, I thought to put some hints and suggestions for students who are making their videos 1) First write...
You might have came across this question on internet. Sharing here for possible explanation. Actual Question paper: I have the answer for the question. I will give the answer later....
Microsoft Mobile has upgraded its flagship- Lumia series by launching new dual SIM smartphone called ‘Lumia 540’. Like Samsung's Galaxy portfolio, the company is moving further up the ladder by...
Poland-based OGLE’s (Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiment) Warsaw Telescope is placed at the Las Campanas Observatory in Chile. The 1.3 m earthbound Telescope examines the space for finding undiscovered planets of...