1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Can we replace bearings with any other thing?

Question asked by Vinay Mishra in #Mechanical #Automobiles on Feb 2, 2020
Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra · Feb 2, 2020
Rank B2 - LEADER

I wonder if we can replace the bearings which are used in vehicles.

Is there any other machine element which can replace bearings and which is able to constraint the different types of motion in vehicle. Because the bearings are much expensive and more susceptible to damage.

Waiting for your views...

Posted in: #Mechanical #Automobiles
Noothan Kumar
Noothan Kumar · Feb 22, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

If your car or truck is newer than 10-15 years old it will generally have what is called a unit it bearing.  I'm going to go with the idea that you have a unit bearing and are working on a front wheel because this is the most common.  I'm also going to go with the assumption that you don't have power tools like impact wrenches, if you do some of what I'm going to say can be ignored or the order changed. 

The first thing is to loosen the lug nuts on the wheel with the bad bearing, don't remove them yet.  Then lift at least that corner of the car until the tire is no longer touching the ground.  Please use a jack stand to hold the car up and not just the Jack. 

Finish removing the lug nuts and the wheel.  Then you can remove the large axel but at the center of the brake rotor.  Most of these are between 29mm and 35mm so you may have to purchase the right size.  Since these are torqued to some where between 75foot-lbs and wow thats amazingly tight you will need to have someone hold the brake pedal down to stop the hub from moving when trying to remove the nut. 

After you get the nut of try and push the  axle in a little bit so make sure it's not stuck in the hub when you try to remove the unit bearing later.  If you're lucky and it moves that's great if not, grab a large punch that fits in the center divot of the axle and start pounding with a large hammer, until it moves.  If it's really stuck you may have to put the nut back on till all the threads are covered and hit the nut with a sledge hammer.  However you get it to move try really hard not to damage the axle nut or the threads.  If you do damage the threads you'll be buying a CV shaft also.

Now that the axle moves you can remove the brakes and rotor, making sure you remember which brake pad was on the front and which was on the back. 

Now all that's left if to remove the 3-4 bolts in the back side of the steering knuckle holding your unit bearing on and removing the bearing.  Sometimes the bearing stubborn to remove so go a head beat it with a large hammer until it comes loose.  You have no worries about damage to the hub since it will be replaced but watch the lug nut studs if your new unit bearing doesn't have them already installed. 

Installation is just reverse order making sure you properly torque the axle nut down.  Over torquing will cause bearing damage.  

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up