Can we create Gravity?

Hi all Engineers!

I have a question for those interested in Physics. Can we have artifical Gravity? Meaning, can we create gravity under test conditions?

With best regards,
ROCKER

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep!

Rocker
    Hi all Engineers!

I have a question for those interested in Physics. Can we have artifical Gravity? Meaning, can we create gravity under test conditions?

With best regards,
    ROCKER
    Of course. There exist a force of attraction between any two masses. This force is called as Gravitational force.

Correct me if I am wrong.

-The Big K-
    p.s:
    Probably this could lead to a discussion on "Can we create zero gravity area on earth?"
  • crazy anoop
    crazy anoop
    is all forces that attracts is gravity?

I dont think so.

I think the force of attraction excerted by heavenly bodies is called gravitational forces.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    crazy anoop
    is all forces that attracts is gravity...?

i dont think so...............

i think the force of attraction excerted by heavenly bodies is called gravitational forces
    Well, Sir Issac Newton said -
    Every object in the Universe attracts every other object, with a force
    between any two bodies that is proportional to the product of their
    masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between
    them.
    So force of gravity exists between any two objects.

-The Big K-
  • crazy anoop
    crazy anoop
    I dont think so.

So is there any repulsive force among planets?

if a magnet attracts an iron bar, is it gravitational force?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    crazy anoop
    I dont think so.

So is there any repulsive force among planets?

if a magnet attracts an iron bar, is it gravitational force?
    I'm not sure if there exists a repulsive force among planets. My best guess says "No". We'll need someone to confirm this.

A magnet attracts an iron bar with its Magnetic Force. Read the Newton's law again. If M1 & M2 are small, the gravitational attraction between will be small too. But the fact is, it exists between any two objects.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. πŸ˜€

-The Big K-
  • summit.sehgal
    summit.sehgal
    First of all, i must say this is really a fascinating idea...

Now to answere this query,we must look at some of the fundamentalls of Physics...
    1) A body can experience a force in a given field only if it itself can generate it.
    2) Energy can niether be created nor be destroyed.
    3) The Gravity, which is nothing but the force of attraction between two masses is directly proportional to the product of the two masses.

So to create an artificial Gravity, what do we require:
    1) Mass
    2) For force to be of reasonable magnitude, the mass has to be really heavy.

So in all respects, this is a basic physicall fundamentall force between heavenly bodies & is resposible for the very existence of this universe & in all respects CAN NOT be created artificially because it would require a mass comparable to atleast to that's of Earth's.

Does that answere U'r query !:smile:
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    There are three fundamental forces in nature.

1. Gravitational : All bodies : Only attraction : magnifies with mass, reduces with distance.

2. Neuclear forces: Atomic : Repulsive + attractive : only atomic masses.
    some relation with distance, i forgot.

3. Magnetic : Magnetic material/ferrites (something to do with electron spins : Repulsive + attractive : mass indipendent/ reduces with distance.

Hence, gravity exists, it cannot be created....but if u say "artificial attraction", then i dont think its possible with normal sized bodies, as someone has already pointed out above.

But anti-gravity theory exists and its just Repulsive (that too most probably works with magnetics, rather than gravity)

@anoop; biggie was talking about the gravitational, force existing in all bodies... in our 9th text book there is a formula wich clearely shows its ONLY dependent on mass and distance b/w ALL bodies.
  • frodo.rok
    frodo.rok
    i think we have to wait for that to be happen untill they discover and create gravitons in laboratory.
    because if there is anything like graviton then there should be anti gravitons also (because every particle has its anti paricle).
    and anti gravitons can create a field which will opposes the gravitational field.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Hi all,

I think artificial gravity can actually be created. Haven't you read about the plane that NASA has made in order to simulate zero gravity in sky? ie, the plane travels in parabolic movements at the same acceleration as that due to gravity and hence it's cancelled. So people inside experience zero gravity. If that is possible, then simulating the gravity experienced in poles at some other places must also be possible by the same argument.

I don't know if i'm correct. Do correct me if i'm wrong.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You can simulate gravity in space of you spin a "torus" shape station around, right?
  • shyamcn10
    shyamcn10
    This seems to be a pretty old thread but i guess this is one i should choose to be my first post(ever)!!! πŸ˜€ REgarding gravity, the basic assumption of calling all forces dealing with heavenly objects or otherwise gravity is wrong since the word itself is referred to the force of attraction b/w earth and any object within its gravitational field. all other forces may be referred to as gravitational forces. the thing with the plane that simulates zero gravity is nothing but the counteraction of free fall on "gravity".u may simulate the same experience in an elevator if u have the guts that is!!

Regarding simulation of gravitation b/w 2 object or for that matter even creating a zero gravity spot on earth, we have to goto the fundamental level of interaction b/w 2 bodies.gravitation like many other forces including strong,weak forces etc. is a particle transfer force that is particles are exchanged when a force leads to interaction b/w 2 objects.for gravitation it is merely called a graviton(whose anti particle is also predicted in the Standard Model).but the problem of actually observing a graviton is more complicated and efforts have been going on for the past few decades(in CERN and Fermilab) to actually observe one in transit or interaction.for this the nuances of the string theory must be explained and the ideas of multiple dimensions and membrane-like behaviour be clear.

here the inrteraction b/w heavy particles(certain bosons) is used for detection(actually the presence of the graviton is predicted by its absence!)

the gravitational force is fundamental and applicable to all masses in nature (even us! but our mass product is too low to counteract the small G value)but it so happens that sometimes gets over ridden by a dominant force.for eg: in case of particles less than 10^-8m the molecular forces take charge.

regardin repulsive forces b/w masses there can be as is the case with magnets of like polarity or charges.

Thus in conclusion if we want to produce gravitation it may be solely by being able to produce AND control a very large mass within a very small area(as in the case of neutron stars or black holes).
    but if it is merely to create a force of attraction then we may resort ourselves to a standing on the edge (periphery)of a rotating body.
    also note that there is no repulsion b/w planets but merely a balancing of forces ie. centripetal counteracts gravitational.

i could keep on writin but i guess this is enough!!!
    no sources referred so please correct me if any of my points are wrong(even seemingly so).
    thank u.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @shyam:

Good post, buddy.

Thus in conclusion if we want to produce gravitation it may be solely by being able to produce AND control a very large mass within a very small area
    Any crazy ideas on how to go about this?
  • mahul
    mahul
    i did not get one point. are taking about creating a system where we can get us 2 feel a sensation of some gravitational pull at a place where there is none(maybe outer space) or are we actually trying to create the same force(same nature) that is experienced between two bodies(due to gravitational pull b/w them)? if we just want to feel a sensation of gravity, (on a gravity free zone)then the solution wd be really simple. we just got to get inside an accelerating body and we would feel as though we are pulled by some force(like we feel we are pulled by the earth). but if we want the other option it's beyond the science we have today, i guess.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Long post, but to answer the moot point, I dont think we can "create" gravity. It exists. Period.

What we CAN do, is we can simulate gravity ... or lack of it for that matter. This can be done by using other forces which act on the physical body to substitute for gravity (or lack of it).

Make sense?
  • mahul
    mahul
    maybe some time in future we can create gravity, stephen hawking says that gravitational force is experienced by two bodies due to the exchange of a particle named graviton between them(brief history of time). now maybe this phenomenon could be manipulated too(correct me if i'm wrong).
  • shyamcn10
    shyamcn10
    i know this is bad protocol but can somebody please help me with my seminar topics n ideas request in the same category??pLEASE??!!!i dont seem to be getting any replies jus views..sorry for not adhering to the rules again!!!

wil post a reply to the gravity topic soon..
  • mechanical24
    mechanical24
    hi i wanna sak u dat will u plz tell me machine of some small project which i can frm my juckyard,
  • mechanical24
    mechanical24
    any one can tell me abt any small project a mechanical project.
    plz reply me fast
  • suyash
    suyash
    mechanical24
    plz reply me fast
    awesome reply in such an interesting topic !! 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    suyash
    awesome reply in such an interesting topic !! 😁
    ...I feel bad about the sorry state of Indian engineers. 😭
  • ranvir1986
    ranvir1986
    Hi every one.
    I have an answer to this one, atleast for a specific purpose. Artificial gravity is a requirement in future space settlement plans, a lot of the same is discussed in NASA space settlement design contest held every year.

The best means suggested by most entries is to rotate a container at a desirable speed and the objects within it shall feel a force (centrifugal) pushing them radially outward. If this container was huge, say in Kms of dia, then a human inside would actually feel as if he was under gravity. The radius of the container and speed of rotation are the parameters that decide the amount of ARTIFICIAL gravitational pull.
  • vissin
    vissin
    Oh my! I don't wish to sound rude but this thread is definitely not for a young student looking for some serious learning. There's so much of incorrect statements here. I'm lost I don't even know from where to start.

Well, I used to be much interested in all the fundamental forces and I'd studied them well during my school days. I don't remember it all too well, but just a few points below from what I read in this thread:

1) (To answer the original question) Yes it is believed by many to be possible to artificially create gravity. The practicality of it is an altogether different story. Look at gravity as nothing more than a curving of the space-time continuum and you might just be able to imagine it (or maybe not). Gravity is also linked to velocity in some cases.

2) There has been mention of negative gravity. Although, it's all only in theory.

3) (crazy_anoop) Gravity is not only between heavenly bodies but between any two masses (including you and me). However, being a weak force it is not perceptible between you and me. There are many other stronger forces around us. If you remember the basic formula of gravitaion, G is proportional only to Masses and inversely to distance between the two masses.

4) Zero gravity is created yes. But by neutralizing gravity with some other force. Much like adding -2 to 2 to get 0 for result. (Explained by Ranvir above me)

I strongly believe that all the 4 fundamental forces be it gravity or strong or weak or electro-magnetic are somehow inter-related. I'm reminded of a quote I read by Bohr, "Physics don't tell us about what is, but what we can say to each other regarding the world around us"
  • Dexter_Neo
    Dexter_Neo
    hmmm this seems a very old thread but anyways..........Now when we say can we simulate gravity what xactly r we refering to?
    r we refering to the force of attraction by earth on other bodies or r we just refering to any sort off attraction.....?

now Earth has attraction coz of magma revolving around its core.now can we really simulate the cocepts of ionization and magnetism????/
    if the ans is yes then yes we can simulate the gravity........and the ans is no then we cant i guess its evident.........
  • vissin
    vissin
    Well Dexter_Neo, 'magma revolving around it's core' is what gives Earth it's magnetic dipoles. It's not related to Gravity. Gravity is fundamental to mass. As I've already mentioned in my previous post it's present between any two bodies of mass.

When we speak of creating gravity it should be understood that we are speaking of artificial gravity say, for use in a space-ship. Your point is very much valid that we don't really create it but only simulate it's effect by creating some other kind of force.

Our understanding of Gravity is still very little and we are yet not sure about what causes gravity. The search for "Graviton" is still on. Some physicist claim to have clues on it. And maybe if we find 'Graviton' we will be able to manipulate gravity. (One way of creating it)
  • diva
    diva
    hey...wat is the need of gravity now wen we already got one?why dnt we think of creating zero-gravity areas/parks...wow...hw nice it will be to float like a feather?mm...we can create gravity between objects; also zero-gravity.actually attraction of objects towards planet is called gravitational force.so to create attraction btw objects is possible and thats what u meant,rite?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Going back to textbooks, force of gravitation exists between any two masses and its directly proportional to the product of two masses, inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Gravity, thus, exists! The discussion should continue on creation of Zero Gravity area on earth. What do you say, fellas?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Ok, I thought we were talking about creating artificial gravity on space station for human living. πŸ˜€

Space stations, yes its possible to "create"(actually induce?) artificial gravity as ranvir as pointed out how (above).

As
    for zero gravity! πŸ˜€ I wish it was here presently, but I dont know how we will achieve it in the future.
  • vijayrock
    vijayrock
    i have heard that astronauts are exposed to zero gravity situation in labs before they embark on the space mission.U can make such that there is no gravity.but i think u cant artificially create gravity.Its against nature.But this idea has to be strongly debated!
  • Alex.J
    Alex.J
    Yes, We can Create a Gravity

Just as a moving electrical charge creates a magnetic field, so a moving mass generates a gravitomagnetic field.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Alex.J

Just as a moving electrical charge creates a magnetic field, so a moving mass generates a gravitomagnetic field.
    Gravitomagnetic field?? Never heard of it before..

Ok, a moving electrical charge creates magnetic field because electricity and magnetism are complimentary.
    Now what is the connection between gravity and magnetism?
  • sanks85
    sanks85
    i know about equipotential phenomena but what is the concept of artificial gravity..??
  • sookie
    sookie
    Quite interesting topic of discussion. If I just recall my school days

"Gravity is a force that attracts two objects existing in the universe" Now the question is how to develop that force. So we need to develop such a force that allow two objects to attract automatically.

Have you ever noticed it all depends on mass ratios of two objects. The difference in the mass of one object getting attracted to other object is considerable large[Example our earth and every object getting attracted to it] ? Correct me if wrong. I guess this is the reason why we are not able to generate it artificially , may be a human cannot handle such a huge large mass? Is it?..Feel free to correct if anything wrong. πŸ˜•
  • Alex.J
    Alex.J
    Thanks for Making me understand your levels, i am not here to teach, but i want to tell one thing to you guys, true scientist will never come to conclusion before he tries, you guys decided its not possible and started this debate you will never find a answer, we are experimenting this and will reveal soon to the world

I don't want to explain my experiment so please don't try to contact me

I joined this forum because i liked the title CrazyEngineers

Do you guys know who is crazy, who will believe in something, but the world will stand against him and will say he is crazy, until he succeed
  • sanks85
    sanks85
    hey alex.j you are right the key of success is to try again and agian but we would appreciate your knowledge if you would explain the phenomena involved in the artificial gravity concept...thanks in advance...
  • photon
    photon
    Alex.J

i think it is not true.
    as we know that gravity decreases with increase in height & also decreases with decrease in height.i.e
    Gravity at the center of earth is zero and in infinite is zero.
    also we don't have any force like gravity which is maximum at some specified distance.
    so we can't create it
  • alfredschrader
    alfredschrader
    Rocker
    Hi all Engineers!

With best regards,
    ROCKER
    Answer: Gravity is caused by the graviton particle. How do I know ? I discovered it. The graviton causes gravity by simply bumping into things. All atoms have gravitons in orbit. The earth is a lot of atoms & ergo has a lot of gravitons. Gravity is a pushing force, not attractive. You can create gravity by collecting a lot of atoms into a big lump. Hope this answer helps...Alfred Herman Schrader
  • PRATIK KORADE
    PRATIK KORADE
    I think u can aply with some equipments,
    u can aply some external force such as electro magnetic force with force same as gravity by keep accn same as gravitational acceleration ie 9.8,
    but u should take it only vaccum.
    Thanks.
  • vishu445
    vishu445
    Agreeing to what Bigge said, gravitation is the force of attraction that exists between each and every matter of the universe(atleast two at a time) in whatever possible strenght.Whereas gravity is the force by which earth pulls any matter towards itself.

In another words, Gravity is a subset of Gravitation.
  • vishu445
    vishu445
    I would like to hear from ROCKER what actually he means by creating Gravity..??
    Does he wants to pull a matter towards an another specific matter with 9.8 m/(sec)2
    or he wants to make a particular matter free from earth's pull.
  • rohu1990
    rohu1990
    I dont know if we can create gravity ! , But this discussion led me to think about some thing else,Is there anything like anti gravitational force,I mean for a magnet there is north and south poles which repels each other so is there anything that repels eartchs gravitation,So that airtransport canbe made more easy as vehicls can float on the ground due to anti gravitational force?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    There are three kinds of attractive forces, if you know, Gravitational, electromagnetic and nuclear. So, the question is can we create gravitational force. Ok, lets make the needs a bit easier. Can we amplify the gravitational force between two bodies, say me and the earth?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    The best way to understand "created" gravity is to understand centrifugal force. Using the centrifugal force of rotation you can create artificial gravity. Imagine rotating a can of water fast enough so that the water does not fall out. The same thing works in vacuum and zero gravity. A space shuttle needs to rotate round and round and we have gravity at the ends of the rotating ship.

Read more about it here: Artificial gravity - Wikipedia
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    xheavenlyx
    The best way to understand "created" gravity is to understand centrifugal force. Using the centrifugal force of rotation you can create artificial gravity. Imagine rotating a can of water fast enough so that the water does not fall out. The same thing works in vacuum and zero gravity. A space shuttle needs to rotate round and round and we have gravity at the ends of the rotating ship.

Read more about it here: Artificial gravity - Wikipedia
    Instead of using rotation, is there any other way? Just curiosity.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Hmm, not really, dont think there is another way, the actual working of gravity is understood, but how its "created" is not understood clearly. Rotation is the best way (for now).
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    If we consider gravity as a separate 'force' then I am not sure whether the rotatin thing should be even considerd as gravity. It is plain simple centrifugal force, also which would have been absent if there would not have been a vertical component of "F=mg" acting on the string. Please clear my doubt on this- Can a space shuttle rotating in the absence of gravity(read SPACE) have ARTIFICIAL gravity?
  • Ekips
    Ekips
    I think creating gravity is possible. Anything is possible. The gravity on the moon is less than the earth. Different planets have different gravities. Different gravity forces can exist in different places. If gravity is able to be made by a marble just say. Then the force will be so small it wouldn't be able to keep anything on its surface. You probably wouldn't be able to measure it or even no if any forces are there. Thats why you would need a big mass to generate a force big enough to notice. Keep in mind that the marble would have to be in space free from external gravity forces.

So yes I think its plausible to make weak gravity forces.
  • saberfb89
    saberfb89
    what about GAS GRAVITY (earths atmosphere) .can we create it ? if any thing is wrong correct me ......
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Higgs boson fellas
  • girisoftxgen
    girisoftxgen
    HI EVRYBODY.... gravity is nt a matter to create... wat we can do is jst produce some thrust or something to feel the zero gravity... as one of my friend said about some nasa 's vehichle.. basically it uses some jet propulsion system to maintain its thrust which in turn offers the zero gravity... it is nt actually the zerogravity its an opposite force... its just my view... if i hav gone something wrong am sorry..
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I think instead of creating gravity we can magnify i.e; amplify it.While a certain amount of residual gravity will always be present in any body on account of its mass.While magnifying it is simple.You just need to create a force of attraction may be by using magnets or electromagnets.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Rocker
    Hi all Engineers!

With best regards,
    ROCKER
    A centrifuge simulates gravity. Commonly used in aerospace for pilot training.

However, gravity as such is a property of mass. Probably if we can have a baby black hole you can have a portable gravity generator. The user may get sucked in and become part of the black hole!

Bioramani
  • Farjand
    Farjand
    It is rather easy. We can create magnetic force among various test bodies as we know that magnetism and gravity are parallel concepts. You can increase the intensity by increasing the magnetic attraction.
  • sau
    sau
    I do not think we can create gravity by simply creating magnetic forced amongst bodies. But yes, creating a small black hole can serve the purpose, but then its effects can be totally unpredictable. it may gulp anything and everything..
  • Farjand
    Farjand
    We can at least create a condition for zero gravity. See the discovery channel. Any space exploration program involving human beings cannot be conducted if we do not create zero gravity. People have done this many times before. We in NASA give training to astronauts.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If we can wear a suit with correct ballast/buoyancy one can be at zero gravity inside water. Air must be provided for breathing.
    Bioramani
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Well, for now rotation seems to be the best method. As calculated by some from Stanford uni on a Summer NASA course, they came up with the Stanford Torus. A donut shaped ring with a diameter of 1.8 km. It should rotate at 1 rpm about it's axis to generate 1g (normal gravity on earth).

Stanford torus - Wikipedia
    Artificial gravity - Wikipedia

An excellently detailed explanation of artificial gravity: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • MeAndMeVSU
    MeAndMeVSU
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    'Gravity is the least understood of the four basic forces in Physics (Gravity, Electricity & Magnetism, and the Strong and Weak Nuclear Forces). We do know how to describe it, and understand it seems a property associated with #-Link-Snipped-#. There is no known mechanism at this point for artificially creating gravity, other than having a suitably large mass at hand.'

It could be faked by spinning or with rockets.
  • Sean720
    Sean720
    The reason why I'd like to create gravity is for inverting it, creating anti-gravity. No suits, no spinning space stations, no machines that accelerate us slow enough to equally counter the force of gravity, or any of that stuff.
    If we can create it, then it's possible to invert it. Causing levitation. I always wanted a Hover board...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sean720
    The reason why I'd like to create gravity is for inverting it, creating anti-gravity. No suits, no spinning space stations, no machines that accelerate us slow enough to equally counter the force of gravity, or any of that stuff.
    If we can create it, then it's possible to invert it. Causing levitation. I always wanted a Hover board...
    Gravity can't be created. It's going to exist between any two bodies, no matter what. I see that we're going to rely on rockets to keep us afloat in the air for a few years.
  • happy-boson
    happy-boson
    The_Big_K
    Yep!

Of course. There exist a force of attraction between any two masses. This force is called as Gravitational force.

Correct me if I am wrong.

-The Big K-
    p.s: Probably this could lead to a discussion on "Can we create zero gravity area on earth?"
    well this is a start- to consider this prodject we must need to identify the particular component gravity which i must say causes an effect to space AND time. What is this force or should i say how to define the force that we want to eject from a particular location, is that what you want to do?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    happy-boson
    well this is a start- to consider this prodject we must need to identify the particular component gravity which i must say causes an effect to space AND time. What is this force or should i say how to define the force that we want to eject from a particular location, is that what you want to do?
    Gravity exists between any two objects. Like my computer's mouse and keyboard have a gravitational attraction between them, but it's so weak because their masses are very small to overcome all the frictional forces acting on them.

In order to eliminate that force from any region on Earth; we'll have to figure out a way to compensate for that force; because by default all the objects on Earth are under Earth's gravitational influence.

I have absolutely no clue how the nature of the force can be studied. Any inputs are welcome.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Here is an interesting antigravity application:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • happy-boson
    happy-boson
    bioramani
    Here is an interesting antigravity application:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    i like the anti gravity balls it would be amazing if they illuminate them with soothing colors
  • happy-boson
    happy-boson
    magnetism is a start magnetic levitation goes against gravity forces of the earth
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    The_Big_K
    Gravity exists between any two objects. Like my computer's mouse and keyboard have a gravitational attraction between them, but it's so weak because their masses are very small to overcome all the frictional forces acting on them.

In order to eliminate that force from any region on Earth; we'll have to figure out a way to compensate for that force; because by default all the objects on Earth are under Earth's gravitational influence.

I have absolutely no clue how the nature of the force can be studied. Any inputs are welcome.

we have forces amongst matter because it has mass

any matter which will have mass, will be under forces

when there is no mass in matter, forces are over

hence, try to create a massless matter, like LIGHT

but it also experiences forces
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Rocker
    Hi all Engineers!

With best regards,
    ROCKER
    NASA trains their astronauts in ZERO GRAVITY ROOMS. If that is possible then creating a gravity hole is not far off. But the risk involved is worth
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    jeffrey samuel
    NASA trains their astronauts in ZERO GRAVITY ROOMS.
    That is not quite the case. Any object in free fall in vacuum is in a sense in a micro gravity situation. What NASA has is a free fall tower. Humans are not tested in this. Only equipment. That too for all of 5 seconds.
    The other situation is flight in a parabolic path. This also does not last too long.

The Zero-G facility provides researchers with a near weightless or microgravity environment for a duration of 5.18 seconds. Microgravity, which is the condition of relative near weightlessness, can only be achieved on Earth by putting an object in a state of free fall. NASA conducts microgravity experiments on earth using drops towers and aircraft flying parabolic trajectories. Allowing the experiment hardware to free fall a distance of 432 feet (132 m) creates the microgravity environment at the Zero-G facility.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • happy-boson
    happy-boson
    interesting
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    strange more news and valuable info always happy to gain them
  • happy-boson
    happy-boson
    micro gravity quite interesting changes the ideas of gravity simulation
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    reivieing the old thread.
    Gravity as it self is not a attracting force. So I dont think you can 'create gravity'.
    Gavity per theory of relatiivty (classical physics by Newton said its force) , mentions gravity as only curvature of space and time. I have been trying to understand this whole concept since many months now and best example so far what I came across - I am giving here.
    Consider a trampolean. Put a bowling ball, the ball rests in some place, making a curvature. now all smaller objects what you put on the trampolean would 'move' towards the heavier object. This 2d trampolean surface is your space time and objects moving towards heavier obj is your gravity.
    to compare with flying objects being hung to earth is to comapre this trampolean in 3d
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    mahul
    maybe some time in future we can create gravity, stephen hawking says that gravitational force is experienced by two bodies due to the exchange of a particle named graviton between them(brief history of time). now maybe this phenomenon could be manipulated too(correct me if i'm wrong).
    hmm.. gravtion comes into picture only in quantum physics, not in real life scenario i suppose.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    quantum physics is still debated in many fields once they are proved true then gravit will become more and more easier to comprehend in real world items
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    well suppose if we can increase the density of a substance,(increasing mass without changing volume), the net effect of gravity will increase, so in my opinion, gravity can be created with such a material (although it is just a hypothesis), ....well this thought needs refinement..😁
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    That is what happens in a black hole. Gravitation is an inherent property of mass. What is created is mass. Not gravity. Massless gravity is unknown.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir,
    many things stll baffle me.
    for example - I consider a 2D plane concaved at a location where there is heavy body. , so what exaclty stops another object from completly sliding towards th heavier object?? and in return put itself into orbit ??
    In another words - what made earth be where it is w.r.t sun and to save itself , it later started rotating?what determines that distance? if i roll a ball into this concave plane - it wont stop at a place and start revolving around the centre heavy object right? It would rather go and sit next to that huge body
    may be I missed somthing very obvious- but I have been thinking of this question since long
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ..or
    since gravity is emulation in space time fabric, the movement (travel in space , over a specific time) relates itself to gravity?? and thus may be while formation earth put itself in orbit? I dont know. As I think I go mad
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    durga
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir,
    many things stll baffle me.

In another words - what made earth be where it is w.r.t sun and to save itself , it later started rotating?what determines that distance? if i roll a ball into this concave plane - it wont stop at a place and start revolving around the centre heavy object right? It would rather go and sit next to that huge body
    may be I missed somthing very obvious- but I have been thinking of this question since long
    Earth was formed by matter spinning off from the sun itself, as also the other planets. These bits of matter collapsed on themselves to form a sphere that slowly cooled to the present state. The collapse itself was due to the gravitational force radiating from the centre of mass of that bunch of matter.

Whenever some thing spins off another spinning object, it will take off along the tangent. But the gravitational attraction of the parent body (the sun in this case) pulls it back. Ultimately the second body stabilizes in an equilibrium orbit.
    If you consider our solar system, all planets are (almost) in one plane, which is what you would expect if all of them spun off the Sun.

Cosmologists will be horrified by the rather simple explanation that is given here. However, this is basically what happened. Interested persons can go into greater detail if needed. Incidentally Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Raman Research Institute and the I.I.Sc. are all in Bangalore with extensive libraries on astrophysics.

Now that you have some clue about it, your head can stop its own spinning.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Sir, are you here refering to the laws of centripetal and centrifugal forces ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Yes, in a sense.Suppose you spin a large wet ball. You will see drops of water thrown out near the middle plane. Similarly, matter spun out of the middle plane of the sun in the early days. Whenever a large blob of matter (even if they were discrete liquid or gas bubbles) comes off this will have its own gravitational field centred at the centre of mass. There will be some residual spin as well. Gradually the bits will coalesce together to form a planet which will be spinning and in a stable orbit around the parent body.
  • Vassilya
    Vassilya
    Are the forces related to outer space bodies heavily active in organizing our solar system? I was thinking through the last few posts and wondered, are our planets are arranged, not entirely but mostly, smallest at the edges and largest in the center due to a balance between the gravitational pull of the sun and the other large bodies in our galaxy? I suppose it seems logical and reasonable that our solar system is not an isolated set of forces, but the point off of which my tangent wanders was the concept of planets, having been flung from the sun, maintaining stable orbit: is stable orbit achieved as a consequence of being flung in space, or is stable orbit achieved by being hung in a path between large bodies?
    Maybe this is obvious or entry-level astrophysics, I never studied it πŸ˜”
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    #-Link-Snipped-# Sir,
    I get what you are saying ..I am relating the same example with another illusion.If I have a huge ball hung with a thread in space. There are other tiny balls tied to the bigger ball at its diameter at varying lenghts, when this huge suspended ball rotates, all the tiny balls rotate along the daimeter of the larger ball and as soon as the suspended ball stops rotating, they collapse downwards .
    we cant in this instance call the threads as gavity as gravity was never a force exerted by masses, but we can only compare it with gravity
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I think its far more complex than what we are discussing :-s.
    Leave alone coglomation of masses, we are not even sure where the mass/energy have come from???
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    According to einstein space contains 4 dimensions (3dimen+time) space fabric which is stretchable. Any body having mass alters this fabric resulting gravitational pull. This concept came because of cosmic speed limit, I.e speed of light. Gravity is just an effect.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just for the sake of curiosity - I wish to know whether Einstein really proposed the concept of 4th dimension? Has time been accepted as the 4th dimension by all the science community?
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    ya now they say that there are 11 dimensions according to string theory, but we are only aware of these 4 dimensions. protons are made up of quarks and quarks are made up of tiny vibration strings. you can Google about string theory, it defines dimensions.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Big_K
    Has time been accepted as the 4th dimension by all the science community?
    "Time" is not 4th dimension.The fourth dimension is "Space-Time".
    And the entire string theory is dependent on Space-time concept.

By the way,accepting & not accepting the theory is scientist's personal choice.
    Anyways,theoretically it's proved about concept of 4th dimension,but there are many researchers/scientists at the same time are pointing out the flaws in the theory.

Untill practically we don't use 4th dimension in any practical purpose,not everyone will believe in assumption based mathematical theory.
  • Chinu1
    Chinu1
    mechanical24
    plz reply me fast
    Read project thread.. Its useful for you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Three Crazy Engineers celebrate their Birthday today !😁 HaPpy Birthday Swati, veereshshugar & acrazyengineer:myparty: May your dreams come true & you have all the fun! πŸŽ‰ Party On! -The Big...
i love programming
spamming ....? me....? yak.... i am quiting this forum..i didnt know how i spammed.... r u crazy.... gud bye... sorry for interfereing in YOUR FORUMπŸ˜”πŸ˜‘
can u help me to get some excellent open source game engines?
HI THIS IS SURYA NARAYANA.BUDDHA u ppl can call me as surya. much to say abt me but there r very few to know abt me. so better quit tat...