Can we convert DC geared motor rpm from 200 to 60 rpm

I brought a 200 rpm gear motor for my pick and place robot but I can't control it. Can I reduce its rpm to 60???? Please help.. .....

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Use gears on the op side I am not sure But I know that the gears can be used to both speed up and slow down

Couple a larger gear to the output of the geared motor

The gear you must have be capable of reducing the RPM that can be done by using a Larger gear in the output of the motor

Hey #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# am I right in this do correct me if I am wrong
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Although another gear can be used, it will be a major hassle to make space for it, if it can be arranged at all. Instead I suggest controlling the voltage supply to the motor by using a potentiometer or a variable resistor in series with it.
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    Gurjap
    Although another gear can be used, it will be a major hassle to make space for it, if it can be arranged at all. Instead I suggest controlling the voltage supply to the motor by using a potentiometer or a variable resistor in series with it.
    By adding resistance in series Can I get same torque as 60 rpm motor??? I'm asking because the bot should run on terrain.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey just check with the motor there are ways to control the Speed of the Motor

Check for articles relating to Speed COntrol of Motors that will surely help you
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Interesting question. I might do some analysis here by asking you what kind of load the motor is carrying and then telling you that since

Power= Torque x angular speed

and since your load hasn't changed, but you have decreased the voltage supply and hence the power, the angular speed must proportionately decrease, leaving the torque pretty much the same.

I refer you to lancet.mit.edu for more info.

PS. Remember, your choices in controlling the RPM might pretty much boil down to putting a resistor in series to the motor. In that case, you'll just have to make do, without considering a reduction in torque.
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    Conqueror

Check for articles relating to Speed COntrol of Motors that will surely help you
    Conqueror

Ya I got a pdf on dc motor speed controlling. Thank you
    Even that gear idea looks nice, I will try.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    mallumatmari
    Ya I got a pdf on dc motor speed controlling. Thank you
    Even that gear idea looks nice, I will try.
    Geared control is having a limitation of larger size so do check it friend
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

you were quite right about the gears.

#-Link-Snipped-#

you can reduce from 200 rpm to 60 rpm by using gears.

all you have to do is couple a larger gear to the existing gear on the motor shaft.

and as for the specifications of the larger, use this formula:

T1/T2 =N2/N1

where T1 = number of teeth on smaller gear (the one on the motor shaft).

T2 = number of teeth on the larger gear (which you will now couple)

N1 = speed of small gear (200 rpm in your case)

N2 = speed of larger gear (60 rpm in your case).

you know T1 N1 and N2. substitute them in the above formula and get the value for T2.

also if you want to save space, then replace the existing small gear with an even smaller gear, since this may also bring down the size of the large gear for the same speed ratio.
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    Gurjap
    Interesting question. I might do some analysis here by asking you what kind of load the motor is carrying and then telling you that since

Power= Torque x angular speed

and since your load hasn't changed, but you have decreased the voltage supply and hence the power, the angular speed must proportionately decrease, leaving the torque pretty much the same.

I refer you to lancet.mit.edu for more info.

PS. Remember, your choices in controlling the RPM might pretty much boil down to putting a resistor in series to the motor. In that case, you'll just have to make do, without considering a reduction in torque.
    Thank you, my first pick and place was flop because I not used any formula for arm, I will use that arm formula.
    And for motor speed reduction I got a pdf,
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    us this configuration to get the control of speed in PWM manner.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    follow the circuit which is pwm controlling of motor speed.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you regularly broadcast videos then you ought to know the latest BitTorrent Live, which has just entered public beta. BitTorrent has developed a P2P streaming protocol for the masses...
HCL Tech had recruited from campuses in 2011 and it looks like while we approach the end of first quarter of 2013, the candidates have not yet received their respective...
Today by chance I got to watch Star Vijay(A tamil Channel) and the program Super singer was running.! to my surprise I saw a young man much in resemblence to...
I completed my polytechnic diploma after 10th in 2010 and was hired by an MNC. But now I have problems changing my JOB as every organization asks for 15 years...
Hi, I am Rajnish Matta, a Certified Ethical hacker, working in a MNC. I completed my Polytechnic Diploma in 2010 and was able to Fetch a job immediately. So far...