Can we change physical address of computer?

Can we change the physical address ie MAC address assigned by manufacturer?
is it possible?and what is the need to have MAC address?

Replies

• Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    what is the need to have MAC address?
    A MAC address is used for distribution of information with in the network segment. The Ethernet uses MAC address to
    transfer data between hosts. When its used with IP network the IP address is resolved using ARP protocol to find the
    MAC address of the end device and the data is transmitted.

- carring of information from one network to another.
    - distrubtion of information(resources) is based upon mac address.
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    Can we change the physical address ie MAC address assigned by manufacturer?
    Every Ethernet card has a MAC address burned-in at the factory. At times, you may want to change this MAC address to one of your own choosing.

The procedures to change a MAC address are specific to each operating system.
    How to change a MAC address in Microsoft Windows

Under Windows, the MAC address is stored in a registry key. To change a MAC address, find that key with `regedit` and change it. Of course, Microsoft keeps moving the location of the key around!

Windows XP adds an option to change the MAC address on some network cards under the Advanced tab in the network adapter's Properties menu.

A much easier and more reliable method to change a MAC address under Windows is to use a software utility program designed to do this for you.

Macshift is a free utility that you can use to spoof your MAC address under Microsoft Windows.

Source:-topbits.com
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm.. I believe all the procedures mentioned here and few on internet are to spoof your MAC ID, but the true MAC ID cannot be changed.
    The MAC ID is a combination of the Manuafacturer's unique organizational id and vendor assigned ID.for ex if the OUI is a and vendor assigned id for your NIC is b then MAC ID is ab. it indicates a unique ID which is kinda said to be permanent.
    So even if you end up 'changing' the MAC ID, i am quite sure you cannot go beyond your LAN as the 'uniqueness' maintained within the LAN cannot be maintained in internet unless and until its a TRUE MAC ID.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    MAC address can be changed by using many softwares. There are plenty of them available. The changed mac works effectively & such acts are widely used in the hacking activities. There is a term called arp poisoning. This concept is used to change the mac address in the arp table of victim pc so as to direct the packets through your pc to the victim pc, inorder to sniff his credentials.
    When you change your mac address you are very likely to confuse the routing mechanism & they update the new wrong information.
    Its very easy to change your mac address even in linux.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @vikram that is what is duplication and non-uniqueness of MAC ID right? which won't be done in normal instances.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    As people above me have already stated, MAC cannot be changed as it is permanently etched into hardware. Instead u can create a artificial layer with your desired MAC that will fool the software.

if u need to do so, try anonymac by analog x. its free , light and a very easy to use software

theres a detailed method for changing MAC address on this link
    Technorama Blog: Changing MAC address of a computer
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    durga
    @vikram that is what is duplication and non-uniqueness of MAC ID right? which won't be done in normal instances.
    I meant that the fake mac id works just as real one. All external system on the internet will only see your fake mac id.
    Of course we can revert back to the original mac id too.
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    vik001ind
    I meant that the fake mac id works just as real one. All external system on the internet will only see your fake mac id.
    Of course we can revert back to the original mac id too.
    dose it mean that we can revert back to the original MACid by just typing the previous key..??
    and if the internet connection is macbind then is it possible to run web sevices on two MAC's using the same connection ??
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    just try out this Technorama Blog: Changing MAC address of a computer. it will solve your doubts . install that software(a few hundred kbs) and try. you can modify the mac as u like and just click back on resore original mac address to revert back to normal. its so simple.

@imnitsy
    i am doin exactly tat. since internet connection was bound with one mac and i wanted to use on both, i made mac add of both pcs same and now can use internet on both as n when needed
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    the link you had given is being blocked by our administrator!!!
    please suggest some other link!!!
    cant we change or restore the MAC without any utility software ??
    i mean does windows dont have such option..??
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    imnitsy
    the link you had given is being blocked by our administrator!!!
    please suggest some other link!!!
    cant we change or restore the MAC without any utility software ??
    i mean does windows dont have such option..??
    try
    #-Link-Snipped-# .

and u can also change from ur windows itself but doin it with software is easier . thing is that some ethernet adaptors may pose problems when spoofing through windows while software is sure shot method.
    never mind u can try these

go to ur local ethernet adaptor by name 'local area connection' in my network places>view local connection

right click and select properties
    in the general tab>select client for microsoft networks
    under its advanced tab select locally administered address
    in the value field enter the desire MAC without the dashes.click ok
    disable n then enable the adaptor and u are done
    if tat doesnt work then restart the pc and the mac will be changed
    hope it helps
    edit: the above method is for vista
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    optimystix
    try
    #-Link-Snipped-# .

and u can also change from ur windows itself but doin it with software is easier . thing is that some ethernet adaptors may pose problems when spoofing through windows while software is sure shot method.
    never mind u can try these

edit: the above method is for vista
    go to ur local ethernet adaptor by name 'local area connection' in my network places>view local connection

right click and select properties
    in the general tab>select client for microsoft networks
    under its advanced tab select locally administered address
    in the value field enter the desire MAC without the dashes.click ok
    disable n then enable the adaptor and u are done
    if tat doesnt work then restart the pc and the mac will be changed
    hope it helps
    again this link is too blocked by our administrator!!!
    anyways..thanks a lot!!!
    I will try it by windows itself, and inform you if anything went wrong.πŸ˜‰
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Thank you guys for this information .
    one more question
    I will take example of a college there is one server that shares internet with all the other computers that are connected to it then those computers are allocated a separate IP address or there is one IP address ie provided by ISP, in that how sharing of internet takes place??
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    hello optimystix..
    i tried what u say!!
    find my mac-id by typing getmac in cmd
    but,
    when i write this mac-id in the locally administered address
    and restarted the system
    the mac is changed but i was unable to connect to the web
    although
    the sevices are asking about my username and password and also i can view my profile on that system, but still i cant open the webapges
    everytime i try to open them..
    our administrative page comes and ask about my username and psswrd
    and then direct it to my profile instead of directing to the webpage.
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    goyal420
    Thank you guys for this information .
    one more question
    I will take example of a college there is one server that shares internet with all the other computers that are connected to it then those computers are allocated a separate IP address or there is one IP address ie provided by ISP, in that how sharing of internet takes place??
    our college too had such system for internet sharing!!
    but in our college the administrator provide us separate IP's to each individual!!!:smile:
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    @imnitsy which admin u are talking about ? this forum ?

@goyal420
    the isp is providing one ip address for one connection which is taken up by the server.

other pcs-lets call them terminals, are connected to the server through a device called switch or a router. these switches or router will assign different ips to diff terminals. ur ISP has to deal with only 1 ip given to server. it doesnt look any deeper.
    the switch or router in the college is doin the distribution work by assigning diff ips 'locally' to their terminals
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    imnitsy
    hello optimystix..
    i tried what u say!!
    find my mac-id by typing getmac in cmd
    but,
    when i write this mac-id in the locally administered address
    and restarted the system
    the mac is changed but i was unable to connect to the web
    although
    the sevices are asking about my username and password and also i can view my profile on that system, but still i cant open the webapges
    everytime i try to open them..
    our administrative page comes and ask about my username and psswrd
    and then direct it to my profile instead of directing to the webpage.
    are u at ur work place ?
    the admin has got more than mac lock on ur system. there are other things too that are preventing u from goin online.
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    optimystix
    @imnitsy which admin u are talking about ? this forum ?

@goyal420
    the isp is providing one ip address for one connection which is taken up by the server.

other pcs-lets call them terminals, are connected to the server through a device called switch or a router. these switches or router will assign different ips to diff terminals. ur ISP has to deal with only 1 ip given to server. it doesnt look any deeper.
    the switch or router in the college is doin the distribution work by assigning diff ips 'locally' to their terminals
    no not this forum,
    i am telling about our college administration
    the administration is using software named smart guard for sharing of internet connection to the student..
    every individaul is provided with a username and password with a particular IP to access the web service..
    these IP's are macbind,
    i dont know it is bcoz of that software or something else,

all i want to know is that can i access the web service on others system by changing there macaddress to mineπŸ˜’???
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    optimystix
    are u at ur work place ?
    the admin has got more than mac lock on ur system. there are other things too that are preventing u from goin online.
    please tell about these other things which might are preventing me to do,
    what i want to do?? πŸ˜’
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    imnitsy
    no not this forum,
    i am telling about our college administration
    the administration is using software named smart guard for sharing of internet connection to the student..
    every individaul is provided with a username and password with a particular IP to access the web service..
    these IP's are macbind,
    i dont know it is bcoz of that software or something else,

all i want to know is that can i access the web service on others system by changing there macaddress to mineπŸ˜’???
    lol
    wat kinda admin are they if they block all kinds of links πŸ˜›
    anyways if its ONLY about MAC binding, then u can access the internet from another pc if u change its MAC id to one that is permitted to access the net.
    u did that and yet ur having problems. that should mean that there is something else too safeguarding the connection. cant help unless i know more
    u tried checking with getmac if its changed or not. reconfirm it using ipconfig /all and see
    is the workgroup of the computer that u are setting now, same as that of the network ?
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    optimystix
    lol
    anyways if its ONLY about MAC binding, then u can access the internet from another pc if u change its MAC id to one that is permitted to access the net.
    u did that and yet ur having problems. that should mean that there is something else too safeguarding the connection. cant help unless i know more
    u tried checking with getmac if its changed or not. reconfirm it using ipconfig /all and see
    is the workgroup of the computer that u are setting now, same as that of the network ?
    the workgroup is same,
    and also i confirmed the macaddress it is exactly what i entered to it!!!πŸ˜”
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    hmmm..
    along with mac lock they might also have put ip lock.
    can u change the ip in this machine and see ?
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    optimystix
    hmmm..
    along with mac lock they might also have put ip lock.
    can u change the ip in this machine and see ?
    i have done this too,
    havnt got the desired results!!!πŸ˜”
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    imnitsy
    i have done this too,
    havnt got the desired results!!!πŸ˜”
    hey what do you want ?do you want to get direct internet access instead of through server in your organization or college?
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    goyal420
    hey what do you want ?do you want to get direct internet access instead of through server in your organization or college?
    no i dont want to access the internet connection directly from the server,

what i want to use the service provided to me, on some other system by changing the mac address of that system to mine!!!

actually IP's which are provided to us are macbind i.e., i cant access web services from on two different system by using same IP,
    so iwas trying to access them by changing the mac address of other system to mine, but the results are not fruitful!!πŸ˜”
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    BRO I Think first you should first understand basic of all this .there are lot of tricks available in net also to implement this but if you are unaware of basic ie what is mac address how it works ..and what you want ?is it really possible or not ?and several other factors
    you can't get what you want? It's my personal suggestion.please don't feel anything wrong
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    ya i think you are rite,
    i have to understand alll the basics regarding this!!
    well i tried to that with the help of TMAC softwre too but it also dont giv the desired results!!!
    nyways, thanx to all of you for help,
    well please suggest something to get knowlegde over these basics,
    i mean any tutorials or any thing else!!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Brother Internet is full of knowledge you can get anything what you want
    just open any of your favorite search engine like google .com or bing.com
    and type mac address +tutorials
    you will get a number of tutorials on that ..after that if you have further queries then you can post it in a new thread. Ceans are always here to solve it .
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    ok i will!!!
    thanks a lot again!!
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    optimystix
    lol
    man im just fed up with these restrictions..
    college administration had blocked all the blogs and much more!!
    m just unable to open the blogs provided by CE!!!!

need help please tell how to jump through such restrictions !!!πŸ˜’
  • rbm683
    rbm683
    I was using one unsecured Wrieless connection. Now suddenly I am not able to receive any packets from the connection although signal strength looks to be good. I am also not able to ping the DNS now. I think they have blocked my MAC ID . Will change of MAC ID provid any solution for that.
  • sherya mathur
    sherya mathur
    😎Many people have a wrong conception that changing MAC Address of a computer is not possible or it requires a complex software. But it is not true. Changing MAC or Physical address of your computer is very simple.
    πŸ˜•so we can change the physical address of a computer

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder Size: 4.10MB FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DIVX movies, picture postprocessing, and show subtitles. ....... Click To Download
In Speech synthesis field, do you know how actually text is converted into speech.I want to do just first level .converting a character into speech. Will I have to do...
I'm working on my resume right now and it is the first time that I've been able to approach it with much more marketing background. Before, it was just an...
The newly launched iPad, the tablet offers much more than book reading as compared to the Kindle. No matter how many people have bought Kindle (Amazon says there are millions...
Source: IBM Research | Ponder This | December 2009 challenges Let x be a 25-bit number, such that Ξ i=110(x&mi) is a nontrivial integer power (nk, n and k are integers,...