Can Tube-light work in DC ?

I am working on an idea & I need to know that, Can a tubelight work in DC ?
If yes, then how much Volt is required to illuminate it to its maximum capacity ?
If No, then what customization can be done to make it work in DC ?

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Yes, tube lights can work on DC, but the control circuitry will consume as much power as the light itself, so its 2X consumption. Besides, to avoid accumulation of mercury on one side, the polarity of the supply is required reversed than the previous time, every time you start it. So this will require another piece of circuitry.

If you're constrained with the DC supply, why not use inverter and then give it to traditional tube light setup? In fact, the new "electronic tube lights" or electronic ballast to be more specific, that starts instantly, employs the same thing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Can someone do a quick circuit diagram for tube-light connected to a DC source?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The_Big_K
    Can someone do a quick circuit diagram for tube-light connected to a DC source?
    Requires different ballast (control circuitry) whose circuit diagram is to be made as well. Other work around is, open the electronic ballast, and tap it from the stage just after the rectification circuitry and apply the DC there. But the tube light will still run on DC because the the ballast will invert it to AC before applying to the tube light.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Thanks prototype I am basically trying to make power saving tube-light.
    Cheap & savvy.
    But unfortunately it turning out to be more power consuming & costly.

Gotta read a lot on DC tube-lights.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Why are you particularly interested in making a power saving tube light using DC? I am not sure but I suppose a DC consumes lot of power than our conventional Tube lights. CFL bulbs and LED bulbs are power saving types. Why don't you study about them and bring your innovation into the Materials/components used instead of pondering over the supply.! 😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sir, don't judge my idea from the question I ask.
    I am just trying to clear out all question that's popping my mind before I get into real thing.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    I just presumed myself..! My bad..! 😀
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    If you are making something that directly consumes electricity like bulbs, tube lights, using dc will never be affordable as DC cannot be generated. It will be required to convert it, and conversion will never be 1:1.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    It should work as in train there is DC supply only (no doubt now a days inverter is available) so Tube-light can work on DC supply. I will study about the circuits.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Instead of exactly going for DC go for pulsed square waves that is easy to generate and easy to modulate also Don't know on efficiency
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    i got the clear idea what all the CEions discussing but actually tube light is type of florescent tube with ballast circuit.why we are not going design the ballast circuit which will operate on dc supply the come to load across that circuit...here it simple idea to implement , it can be replaced by inverter circuitrytube also

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

'Till now I was using Opera Mini. I own SGY 5360-GT,so unfortunately flash is not supported. Hence I was unable to upload any files here in CE or view website...
So, many of us tend to change our mind about things - Sometimes due to new experiences, sometimes due to unexpected reading and so on. Some people don't even have...
Looks like the Indian Banks are going digital and now allow aadhaar card as a valid identity proof for the bank's Know Your Customer Program. We've written about Indian Government's...
I've been wondering why passports are still the old school paper books with Jurassic stamps on them? Why haven't the passports gone digital yet? Are there any serious issues with...
The Tata Consultancy Services continues to be the biggest IT services and consulting company in India and the company has announced that they're sticking to their recruitment plan for the...