CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Mohit Patil • 15 Dec, 2019 • 2 likes

I want to know if it is possible to hack the fastag in any way in order to avoid paying toll at the highways? What if we drive through at a speed greater than some threshold that the scanner doesn't catch it? Does anyone know a hack for this?

@[Prototype] • 15 Dec, 2019 • 5 likes

Well, high speed will definitely not work. There's still a gate. The gate will not open if the tag read is unsuccessful.

@Kaustubh Katdare • 16 Dec, 2019

RFID is not secure, but certainly moving at a higher speed is not an option. Because most of the toll plazas would have security gates and speed breakers. You'll have to think of a technical solution. 

Francis Brown of Bishop Fox security had created the Tastic RFID Thief Tool back in 2013. It would break the legacy 125 Khz proximity cards. 

I've uploaded the technical specs sheet of the Fastag for those who're curious: FASTAG Technical Specifications PDF | CrazyEngineers

@Anoop Mathew • 16 Dec, 2019 • 2 likes

Might as well add a counter-measure test to this before we deploy such solutions. ? ? 

@Bala Venkat • 30 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

What an interesting topic! Are there any black hat strategies that can be used to game the system? I am sure Indians must be looking for ways to get around the system. Can you hack your fastag to make it such that you pass through all the tolls but no money gets deducted? Kind of like candy crush like game with unlimited lives and boosters so you zoom past all tolls in India? 

I am watching this thread if anyone is going to post any ideas. ? 

@Ankita Katdare • 20 Feb, 2020

Here's an interesting article on if Fastag can be hacked: Can FASTag be hacked?

He has mentioned there that Fastag has an encryption mechanism to prevent an attacker from understanding whats stored onto the chip. What do you guys think? Is there a way to get past it?

@Koi Mill Gya • 03 Jul, 2020

Sir kisi bhi fastag sey pass kese nikalte hai ye puchna tha mujhe wo sccanere ke baare mai Jane hai

Related Posts

@Ismail0352 · Jan 15, 2013

Can any1 tell me whether this company is real or not??? and if it is please tell me whether i should go for it? https://www.dcsit.in/

@Ankita Katdare · Apr 1, 2014

Directi seems to offer great summer internship opportunities for engineering students. I digged the application process for becoming a summer intern at Directi and here's what I found - Those...

@Kaustubh Katdare · Dec 29, 2008

Okay, this is not an easy one. Identify the following logo - Source: Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing

@Brad Grillakis · Oct 26, 2011

Hello! I am working on my Laplace Transform homework and I am trying to work out the steps on how my professor got this answer but I am not understanding...

@sunit.soni · Apr 10, 2010

Is there any way to find the current location of mobile number using Internet? I'm specifically interested in finding out a service that will accept a person's mobile number as...