can the exhaust gases of an automobiles can be used for a useful purpose

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread title changed from 'untitled' to something more meaningful and thread moved to Automobiles section.
  • gohm
    gohm
    They can to a limiting degree, such as for spooling turbos. What did you have in mind?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    they are used for turbo charging.

if you want any another application apart from that in automobiles , then i think they can be used for heating.
  • Nauman Khan
    Nauman Khan
    can it be used to a operate a heater in winter season
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    nauman khan
    can it be used to a operate a heater in winter season
    Heater? Where? Yes, to certain extent, it can be used to aid heating applications in an automobile.
    nauman khan
    Here is what you can do with exaust gases.

1. Run a turbo.
    2. As an heat exchanger.

Meanwhile have you heard about Exhust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system?
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Oh yeah, EGR. A fancy name for sticking the exhaust pipe in the intake manifold. Of course, the ratta-bots in the IC Engine class went nuts running all its "advantages" in the quiz.... "oh, it causes cooling of the burning process, resulting in lesser nox bla bla bla".... this has to be one of the stupidest ideas anybody's ever had. Probably some engineer looking for a practical joke. Let's pipe dirty, particulate-ridden smoky exhaust into the cylinder, frustrating all the efforts of the turbochargers and the superchargers and the double valves to pump in extra, clean air so burning can be better. Just because someone with an impressive name said we should.
  • Nauman Khan
    Nauman Khan
    i didn't understand what u want to say 👀
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    EGR is a bad idea.
  • Nauman Khan
    Nauman Khan
    zaveri
    they are used for turbo charging.

if you want any another application apart from that in automobiles , then i think they can be used for heating.
    what is turbo charging and how it can be used for turbo charging
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    @ nauman

The exhaust gases from the exhaust manifold is used to power a turbine, which in turn powers a compressor. this compressor compresses the inlet air , which allows a greater mass of intake air entering the cylinders, thus increasing efficiency and enabling the cylinders to deliver more power. this is turbocharging.

The same thing goes for supercharging, with the exception, that the compressor is driven by the engine crankshaft.
  • Hammer_Time
    Hammer_Time
    But could you use the turbine to power pretty much any thing you like? Like charge a battery for example?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Hammer_Time
    But could you use the turbine to power pretty much any thing you like? Like charge a battery for example?
    the battery is already charged by the alternator, which in turn is driven by the crankshaft.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    A short 15 years after Orville and Wilbur made their historic flight at Kitty Hawk,General Electric entered the annals of aviation history. In 1918, GE strapped an exhaust-driven turbocharger to a Liberty engine and carted it to the top of Pike’sPeak,CO — elevation 14,000 feet. There, in the crystalline air of the majestic Rockies, they successfully boosted this 350 hp Liberty engine to aremarkable 356 hp (a normally aspirated engine would only develop about 62 percent power at
    this altitude).An astounding altitude record of 38,704 feet was achieved three years later by Lt. J.A.Macready.This new technology began immediately experiencing a rapid evolution with the full strength of blowers being tested duringWWII. The B-17 and B-29 bombers along with the P-38 and P-51 fighters were all fitted with turbochargers and controls.
    Turbocharging had brought a whirlwind of change to the ever-broadening horizons of flight.Much of the early developments in recip turbocharging came as a result of demands from the commercial industrial diesel engine
    market. It wasn’t until the mid-1950s that this technology was seriously applied to general aviation aircraft engines. It all started with the prototype testing of an AiResearch turbocharger for the Model 47 Bell helicopter equipped with the
    Franklin 6VS-335 engine. Their objective was not to increase power, but rather to maintain sea level horsepower at altitude. They succeeded. In the process, a new altitude record for helicopters of 29,000 feet was achieved.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Europe's famous KTM has partnered with Bajaj Automobiles in India to launch the sporty motorcycle KTM Duke 200. I've been noticing that the media is talking a lot about these...
Hello friends, One of my friend asked me that is it possible to print something in 'C' without semicolon. I had tried more things like turnary operators,MACROs.I cant succeed. But...
halo everybody, i have this idea of a project and would really requests for your comments and support. i have witnessed the long queues in students mess and the main...
halo everybody, i have this idea of a project and would really requests for your comments and support. i have witnessed the long queues in students mess and the main...
Ford's EcoSport looks to be one promising automobile that might just fill the gap between the sedans and SUVs at a price point that would make it affordable to the...