Can sonar concept be used for detection with low frequency waves?

i had this doubt of whether sonar tech concept could be used with other low frequency waves other than that btw 20hz to 20000hz. if it could be used how would it affect the human and also the animals response to it?

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    there wont be any issues since we are already living in multiple frequency environment,but since they are must be audible,20Hz to 20KHz has been selected as frequency at that range is audible to human beings.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, I'm not sure if I'm correct, but still, I'll take a shot.
    I think only if the frequency is between 20Hz to 20000 Hz we can call it SONAR.
    If it's less, we should call it infrasonic navigation and ranging.
    Similarly for higher frequencies, Ultrasonic navigation and ranging.

PS : I dont know if this terminology is right of if such things exist.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yea, scorpion is right.

Different frequency transmissions need different designs of transmitters and receivers. You cannot use tx/rx equipment designed for sonar frequencies to be used in others 😀

You can use other frequencies, but they can only work in specific environment and with specific equipment (e.g. propagation speed). In terms of effecting animals, you'll need to know their peak response for a given frequency. No frequency on it's own would "hurt" anyone.. it depends on the amplitude as well.
  • harshinde
    harshinde
    thanks ppl. im actually thinking of building a device which uses the sonar concept and helps the blind to navigate through crowded places. so i was trying to reduce the size of the tx/rx units by choosing lower frequencies. can this concept work?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

m doing my b.engg in electical engineering.. And i would be applying as a transfer student.my c gpa is arnd 2.8 with few backs which i cleared. . Actully i...
I was surfing internet yesterday when I came across the popular site, JaagoRe. Well I really think the guys have done and are doing a great job. They make the...
😛 Dear friends, give me some idea about both gear shifting and clutch movement in two wheelers using hands 😕
Hi, i am working on scheduling of threds...i am having a thread library different from pthreads. I wanted to switch b/w the threads. Its possible for me to switch, if...
CEans, Its official now. Wipro & MegaSoft are two more companies to be banned by World Bank along with Satyam. Both Wipro and MegaSoft are now not eligible to received...