Can something like the Arc reactor really be made feasable?

Hey guys! As my username suggests, am a big fan of Ironman and the science behind his gadgets. I know that the first thing you do after reading the thread is either think I'm crazy or stupid. But irrespective of that, I'll say I want to harness the technology behind the Arc reactor. If we take a closer look, such technology isn't something we can't comprehend. It's already being used in Tokamaks.
Just as to know, what do you guys think of it?
(Apart from the fact that I'm utterly crazy, that is. ๐Ÿ˜)

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    First of all welcome to CE

Next can you please be more specific and give us an insight into Arc Reactor

PS Iron Man is not my taste and Films are out of the box to me so no point in trying to illustrate from movies
  • Starkdisciple93
    Starkdisciple93
    jeffrey samuel
    First of all welcome to CE

Next can you please be more specific and give us an insight into Arc Reactor

PS Iron Man is not my taste and Films are out of the box to me so no point in trying to illustrate from movies
    Hey Mr. Samuel. Thanks a lot! It's an honor being a part of the Crazy Engineers family.
    Actually the Arc reactor is a fictional creation. It's a fictional clean energy source which is powered by Nuclear fusion. Harnessing energy from it can be a real problem as we all know how unstable fusion reactors are. But what are the chances if we use modes of generation like Piezoelectricity or a Plasma core?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Starkdisciple93
    Hey Mr. Samuel. Thanks a lot! It's an honor being a part of the Crazy Engineers family.
    Search through CE. There is plenty of discussion on this in various threads.
    Welcome.
    Not enough being crazy. For CE you must be stark and raving. You seem to be half of that already (your screen name that is, not half mad)
  • Starkdisciple93
    Starkdisciple93
    bioramani
    Search through CE. There is plenty of discussion on this in various threads.
    Welcome.
    Not enough being crazy. For CE you must be stark and raving. You seem to be half of that already (your screen name that is, not half mad)
    Haha! Thanks a lot! Am not used to such kinda replies when I ask such questions to the teachers or my fellow mates. And yeah, I went through a few of the threads concerning the highlighted topic, but all of them were on the "working" of the Arc reactor. No one tried to modify it and make it feasible for real.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The only thing is power used to setup any arc is high and so what ever power you generate 90 % of that has to be lost to charge the reactor and so I think it is not economical
  • Starkdisciple93
    Starkdisciple93
    jeffrey samuel
    The only thing is power used to setup any arc is high and so what ever power you generate 90 % of that has to be lost to charge the reactor and so I think it is not economical
    Actually sir, the whole concept of tokamaks and the fusion reactors is based on the Arc only. Even if 90% of it goes to charge the reactor itself, the output itself is so high (some thousand gigawatts) that even 10% can power up a colony for an entire month at the least.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Starkdisciple93
    Actually sir, the whole concept of tokamaks and the fusion reactors is based on the Arc only. Even if 90% of it goes to charge the reactor itself, the output itself is so high (some thousand gigawatts) that even 10% can power up a colony for an entire month at the least.
    I am not really sure about this one thing for sure for a simple fusion reaction a 10^7 K temperature is needed and I am not sure we can contain this in any environment now
  • Starkdisciple93
    Starkdisciple93
    jeffrey samuel
    I am not really sure about this one thing for sure for a simple fusion reaction a 10^7 K temperature is needed and I am not sure we can contain this in any environment now
    10^7 Kelvin is not a necessary condition. There are ways like Sonofusion, Muon catalysed fusion, or anti matter initialized fusion reactions which do not require a high threshold temperature kick start.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sonofusion coupling is out of the list as coupling the energy from a collapsing bubble is next to impossible

Muon catalysed fusion has a barrier in the life span of Muon which is a 2 micro seconds only
  • Starkdisciple93
    Starkdisciple93
    How about if we use some existent technology to initiate the fusion reaction, and then the reactor will feed power to itself, like a chain reaction?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I think the existing set up is a fission driven fusion process The only hinderance is that both are uncontrollable resulting in pre dominant danger

Just like a Hydrogen bomb setup

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As per vote polls conducted, the topic with majority votes is Evolution of G's (2G to 3G). Today's topic is very much generalised topic, and yeah we are looking forward...
Can anyone explain me how to factorize the polynomial for x^3 & above terms. i have one example 4m^4 - 8m^3 - 7m^2 + 11m + 6 = 0 how...
I'm wondering whether the gadgets/apps fans here can take up an initiative to start 'App Of The Day' threads to keep all of us informed about coolest apps out there...
Hi all, I had originally installed MS SQL Server 2008 R2 in my C: when I was developing the application. While I had the SQL DErver in my C:, everything...
hi guys i need to know about which one is better working as a client side or as a programmer