Can opposing magnets be used to store a reactive force?

The spring capacity size and weight is off. Can opposing magnets be used to store a reactive force in a controlled manner for release? These clock guys blew me out of the water. They were sharp but closed minded. Shame.
I need some type of alternative substance to store energy in. Concentrated like oil is.But rechargeable and inexpensive. I know you guys all think out of the box. Go search the past posts of all areas for the person or idea. It's out there some where. Maybe something composite in nature.

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    #-Link-Snipped-# , Can you please explain the question in greater detail? What exactly do you want to achieve here? The moment I read your question, I remembered my professor showing me a magnetic fluid which changes its shape and almost becomes "crystalline-like" when moved into a strong magnetic field.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    I am looking to replace a conventional metal spring to store and release energy.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Oh, I see what you plan to achieve. Well, The problem with magnetic fluids (ferrofluids) is that they appear to return to the non-structured state immediately after the magnetic field is removed. Such a quick release of energy is not desired, since springs can be used to store PE and the rate of energy release can be precisely controlled.

I assume, if the intensity of the magnetic field is gradually decreased, we can extract power out of a mechanism involving a magnet and a ferrofluid. In any case, here is something I found on Wikipedia:

Ferrofluid

Do look under Mechanical Engineering Application section. It says ferrofluids can be used as a semi-active dampers.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Paint a picture of the application your envisioning with this ferrofluids. I am trying to drive a small electrical generator for a cook stove. Keep in mind the expense. But once production is up at 100,000 units the cost can be driven down. Ok I will be off line for the day shortly. Need to make money lol

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Windows 7, which runs on approximately 50% of computers in the world, will stop getting mainstream support from January 13, 2015. End of mainstream support means that Microsoft will no...
1. BE/B.Tech/MCA/M.Sc/MS with minimum 3 years of relevant experience post Qualification IT- Experience. 2. Bsc Graduates with minimum 3.5 years of relevant experience post qualification IT Experience. 3. Only Full...
Wiio Mobiles has launched a new smartphone called Wi Star 3G in India. Like many other smartphone manufacturing companies, Wiio also intends to launch reasonably priced handsets featuring high quality...
India's Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Mars Orbiter programme team has been honoured with the 2015 Space Pioneer Award in the science and engineering category by US based National Space...
We could witness the day when Lithium-Sulphur batteries replace the Li-Ion batteries. The department of chemistry at the University of Waterloo has a team working on inventing a cheap, lightweight,...