Can I speak in Hindi in an interview or group discussion?

Most of the group discussions and interviews processes these days take place in English as the employers expect their prospective employees to have a good hold of the language. Now it is debatable whereas vernaculars should also be allowed and regarding it what I feel is, that depends on the position one is applying for.

If you are applying for a position in a multinational company which specifically requires you to communicate with overseas clients, customers then fluency in English is a must. Speaking in Hindi or in any other Indian language during the recruitment process for such positions will be suicidal as your interviewer will immediately disqualify you as not being suitable for the job.

On the other hand, say if you are applying for a government sector job and the job requires you to interact with local people then speaking in Hindi or displaying fluency in the local language might as well work in your favor.
Also in some jobs like in core engineering fields, the recruiter is more bothered about your technical know-how and not on your communication skills. In those interviews or GDs, if at any point you feel that the language is creating a barrier in the communication process and is preventing you from explaining things correctly, you can always ask for permission from the interviewer or the moderator in group discussion to switch language and continue in Hindi.

Let me know what are your thoughts on this topic in the comments section below.

Replies

• Debasmita Banerjee
    Debasmita Banerjee
    Interesting question indeed. I think a lot of films irrespective of their genres put a special attention towards this usage of vernaculars. It's always the common picture with a guy from an economically weak section, who comes forward through hard work and dedication but lacks the knowledge of English. But finally he wins everybody with his fluent and honest answers in his domain. Although projected with a trite attitude, I think it is not totally ideal rather has some similarities with practical consequences.

Like #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned, it is a proven fact that many a times companies such as the ones belonging to a core section gives you the freedom to speak your heart out in your mother tongue. But I think this language is more than a medium of speech now. It has become a style that people want to adapt and apply whenever possible.

Relevant enough, I have seen families especially Indian moms speaking in English with their 2 year old kid, not in an attempt to make him learn but show the rest of the customers and store helpers that they do not understand anything except this overly hyped language. I am not disrespecting anyone here , but probably we need a catalogue on 'why and when to use English' than just learn the language.

If English is what the company is asking for then probably it is just enough clear to understand that without this language the company will be hard pressed to take him in the team.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Debasmita Banerjee
    I have seen families especially Indian moms speaking in English with their 2 year old kid, not in an attempt to make him learn but show the rest of the customers
    😁 COULD. NOT. AGREE. MORE.

That said, I believe English has been the single, most-common, make-or-break decision that decides the fate of Engineers in countless job interviews. The thing is, most IT companies work with global clients. I have always maintained that having proficiency in more than 2 languages is always a BIG PLUS.

Is it okay to speak in Hindi in government jobs in India or minor sectors where you know that your day-to-day dealing is going to be with customers having Hindi as their main dialect? Well, I think it's best to judge the situation yourself. The best thing to do is - Ask the interviewer. Is it okay if I answer to your questions in Hindi? I'd be able to express myself better.

^ That's a simple enough sentence that you can remember and ask the interviewer humbly. If at all, he or she, says no. I think English would be your best friend then.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the Indians are in the phase of transaction - especially the 'business' community. There used to be 'extreme' weightage to one's ability to speak English. I think all of that changed in 2014; we India got a Prime Minister who did not hesitate to use Indian language(s) even on the bigger platforms; even abroad.

I think people are slowly realising that language is what it is - a medium of communication and not a 'status'. If someone answered questions in Hindi or any language that I understand, I'd not mind at all. I can assure that not being able to speak English will NOT be the reason for rejection in any case at any job opening at CrazyEngineers, EVER.

It however, depends on the kind of job the candidate is interviewing for. If the job actually requires the candidate to have a good command over English; I'd expect the candidate to speak English.

But that said, for the time being, it's better to stick to English, as it continues to be the language of business. Language is a skill and it can be developed through practice over a period of time. Not a big deal at all. There are so many resources available on the Internet that help people get a good command over English.

Don't aim to be a grammar ninja. Even if you can form grammatically correct sentences, you are above majority of world's population. 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Having worked in multiple cities, I found only Indians make too much fuzz about speaking English.
    In every Indian office if, all the fellows are from native or have common-non-English understanding they prefer to speak in non-English only. Only "official" conversation (Email/particular HR meeting/Serious meeting) happens in English.
    Even Britishers don't mind if you fail to understand them on front or you are taking some time to translate your thoughts. Only thing matters you able to "communicate" core work.

For govt. and civil services, preferred language is never English but mostly preferred is Hindi, in interviews.
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    As mentioned in the majority of the views above, I agree that most of the usage would depend on the kind of job the candidate is interviewing for. Language is just a medium of communication after all and it should be treated so. That being said, it is NOT acceptable to use grammatically incorrect language- be it Hindi or English. One can use Hindi with prior permission of the interviewers or the panel, but the language cannot be 'Hinglish' then, it has to be a grammatically correct Hindi.

Every language needs to be respected with its proper usage, however the youth especially the millennial generation, have been forefront in butchering the languages with their illogical short forms, incorrect spellings and improper usage. In formal settings, such things create a really bad impression. So I think it should be okay to use any language, Hindi or English, as long as it is used correctly.

I also think that the obsession of speaking English bordering almost on paranoia (esp. for Indian parents), is a phenomenon unique to our country. It maybe a colonial legacy, but it is vastly over-hyped even in contemporary contexts. Speaking fluent English or being well versed with it, is a great advantage and quality to have but lack of it shouldn't mean that one is somehow 'inferior', 'less qualified' or 'backward'.

Nobody needs to be shown down owing to their inadequacies with this regard. English, surely has more traction in global scenario, so if one isn't so comfortable with it, S/he can always learn and improve. That is the best way forward😀
  • Eng.asish kumar
    Eng.asish kumar
    English is just a language it is important but not necessary, it depends what kind of job.
    Right said @
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Every language needs to be respected with its proper usage.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With only a few months left, GATE 2018 is one of the exams which will be bugging most of the aspiring engineers who are looking for opportunities in the field...
Every year India produces around 1.5 million engineers from its 6000+ engineering and technology institutions, which is more engineers than the USA and China combined. It seems like a wonderful...
The list of top scorers of the Quiz conducted on November 5 is as follows. We hope you enjoyed the quiz and had a great time. If you have any...
"How popular is WhatsApp?" is the question I asked Google and it came up with some statistics published by SimilarWeb in 2016 that show, WhatsApp is the most popular app...
I am Nagarajan.S I have finished my Bachelors from Chennai - Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I worked as Research Intern at IIT Madras in a BIO-Medical firm as ARM Cortex...