Can I generate energy from CDs? How does it work?

i want to make a cd that generate energy , i saw a video on youtube , i'm asking if anyone knows if it works ? 

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

... some more information about what exactly you are trying to do will help. By CD are you referring to "Compact Disk"? How do you want to do it?

• Najlae El Abdellaoui
    Najlae El Abdellaoui

Im trying to use CDs as solar panels , and i saw those videos on youtube and i don't know if it's fake or it'll work 

How To Make12v Solar Energy with CD Disk- Free Solar Energy - YouTube

• Najlae El Abdellaoui
    Najlae El Abdellaoui

Yes i'm referring to campact disk

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

That video looks fake to me. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

The CD is irrelevant. It is just a support for the LEDs. If one sees carefully the resin body of the LED (an insulator) is all that contacts the CD. What one sees is the voltage at the terminals of the LEDs inseries.

Being a CEan (and anyway declared crazy for all of my 80 years by various people including for the last decade by my granddaughter) I just now took one LED, connected a voltmeter to the terminals and exposed the LED to the sun on my  11th floor office window. Bingo! It showed 1.37 volts DC and 0.05 in the dark.

So the CD has nothing to do with it. The LED silicon junction acts like a solar PV.

You live and learn.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I found an almost identical experiment on the net. Except that I used a red LED. Nothing new under the sun!

#-Link-Snipped-#

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - I'm curious - 1.37 Volts from a tiny LED looks impressive. I'm going to give this a try. 

In the mean time, let me tag #-Link-Snipped-# for his comments. 

PS: I thought the experiment was fake. ? 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

The experiment claiming the CD produces the voltage is fake. 1.37 V is just the voltage of the junction. That does not mean that we can get meaningful current from it. It will not light up another LED inseries with it but kept in the dark. I shall try that out and revert.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Did that. Did not work even with two LEDs in the sun and one in the dark. The LED in the dark did not glow. Not much current flowed.

Lot of fun though.

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

1.37 V is just the voltage of the junction. That does not mean that we can get meaningful current from it.

Exactly ! There can be 1.37v but not significant current Power is combination of Voltage and Current so what Ramani Sir has observed is correct it's just the junction voltage which varies depending on Light only.

• Najlae El Abdellaoui
    Najlae El Abdellaoui

I can't be more thankfull for the help , i'm going to give this a try in my mini project.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm  interested to learn python.Can any one suggest me good online free sources for learning python effectively and quickly?
I am a final year student and I want to select a project topic , I asked my senior they advised me to select a project related to the work...
Texas Instruments offer help.https://university.ti.com/en/students/design-inspiration?HQS=corp-uni-null-seniorproject_spring19-exah-lp-ElectroPages-eu&DCM=yes&dclid=CLbsgrTDyeACFVWEcAodsTkBMQ#project_ideas
Where is feed pump Located on?  F.I.P or Fuel tank
Hi,  I am new to matlab , and i want to read the ADC values from pic microcontroller in matlab and using matlab send these values to thingspeak using wifi...