Can I create a totally new desktop?

I want some totally new ideas of creating a desktop which I can try to implement . I have to work on this project . Please suggest creative ideas.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

What exactly are you trying to create? Could you please add a little description to the topic? 

• Jyoti Hodavdekar
    Jyoti Hodavdekar

I am working on a project where I have to completely revamp our traditional OS desktop which generally has a start menu on bottom left, desktop icons and time at the bottom right. I have to completely redesign an OS desktop, something fresh. Let your creative juices flow, whatever you can think of, no restrictions really. I will be implementing it in Python over a period of 3 months. What I need creative ideas, not implementation. 

So let me know whatever crazy things you can come up with. Tell me what you would change in our traditional desktop, what would you remove? what would you add? Need ideas!

I hope to submit a rough sketch to my supervisor in about a week's time.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - any ideas here?

PS: I'd rather make it more MacOS like. It's super simple and get things done. Btw, I'll recommend you to look at Rainmeter Desktop Customization tool and also Compiz for Ubuntu. 

• yorha 2b
    yorha 2b

Interesting, There are dozen of Desktop environments and WMs that it's obvious to say that OS desktop are no longer 'traditional'.

Infact, some DEs are very much customizable that you could make it look like anything you want it. Everything (almost) is modular (eg : KDE)

I am linking some of the good projects from which you might want to take inspiration :

1. GNOME – Simple, beautiful, elegant.

2. #-Link-Snipped-#

3. dwm - dynamic window manager | suckless.org software that sucks less

4. i3 - improved tiling wm

5. MATE Desktop Environment | MATE

6. Official Video – Deepin Technology Community

7. Enlightenment Main

8. Xfce Desktop Environment

9. Liri

10. The thoughtful, capable, and ethical replacement for Windows and macOS ⋅ elementary OS 

Any specific reason to choose python ? 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

VR monitors for desktops are already available. Logitech has come far with its VR keyboard.

So make a VR desktop.

Maybe we can do virtual work as well.

• Alisha Tandon
    Alisha Tandon

I cheer for a minimalistic desktop that only shows frequently used apps and a settings button. Everything else is an overkill. 

• Jyoti Hodavdekar
    Jyoti Hodavdekar

Thank you, for all your inputs, especially #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-# , Python because it is the language preferred by both me and my supervisor.

Any inputs/ideas that anyone can come up with would be hugely helpful and appreciated.

Regards.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - Python is an excellent choice. However, it's not clear if you are only going to focus on the UI improvements. Also you seem to be referring to Windows Desktop in your first post. Are you also going to implement functional changes? If yes, which operating system are you going to modify? As #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned, there are several options available in the Unix domain.

If you are focusing on UI improvements, you'll also have to consider the graphics capabilities of your target machines. Some are going to be graphics intensive; and may not work on all the machines. 

Ultimately, you are going to need your desktop to offer quick access to -

1. Applications
    2. System Settings
    3. ...and some visual enhancements - like screen-saver or wallpapers. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I read somewhere that Index Funds have more potential than Mutual Funds - SIP. Index funds as name suggest - invest in an index.  Warren Buffett won $1 million using...
I am currently working on model predictive torque control of electrical drives. I want to know its practical applications so that I can use it to start a business.
If u have 10 days to  complete the project how you plan accordingly to complete within 10 days by using agile methodoly
Hi , this is my first question , and i would like some suggetions about a mini project for an energetic and enviromental engineering student ,that project should respect economics...
Hi fellow engineers, I m looking for a foam to fill space between outer wall and inner wall of a homemade rocket. I need something that will not damage or...