Can Curiosity be taught? Am curious to know

Games designer Jesse Schell points out that, because of the wealth of information now available within seconds, the inherently curious have a tremendous advantage over the non-curious and will eventually overtake them completely. Schell terms this the "curiosity gap."

This program (Two hours long) discusses whether curiosity can be taught and its implications. The 'Haves' may have an edge over the 'havenots' as far as curiosity is concerned.
#-Link-Snipped-#

However, all is not lost. It appears that curiosity can be nurtured. Hide and seek is one way.
Curiosity might have killed the cat. It certainly creates CEans.

So, what are the CEans' views on this ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I wanna just say one thing Kindly don't tell that it can be then our schools and colleges will frame syllabi by which Robots of curiosity will be factory made on a large scale
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've serious doubts whether curiosity can be taught to adults. In my opinion, it's developed during the formation years of a child. If the parents don't let the child's curiosity foster, then curiosity takes a back-seat during adulthood.

There are several people who've a general 'disinterest' in knowing things, asking questions and upgrading their knowledge. Lately I've been meeting majority of these people. Blame the environments or the educational systems; but curiosity's been replaced by activities that require zilch need of stretching brain muscles.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    I've serious doubts whether curiosity can be taught to adults. In my opinion, it's developed during the formation years of a child. If the parents don't let the child's curiosity foster, then curiosity takes a back-seat during adulthood.
    Agreed. We took a decision that we will never stop our children from asking questions. Since both of us were scientists and living in campus quarters, we used to take the kids along to the lab where our experiments were running late hours.
    My daughter (Three then) came home and told my father that she saw a 'ladeth' (Laser) when very few adults had worked with a laser.
    Fortunately she is following the same philosophy with my grand daugter.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    That is the thing to be done Now many adults feel that if the child asks to many questions then it is an annoying child

That tag depresses the child and gone is the curiosity of that little cat then and there
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Curiosity transferred from one generation to another:

A grandparent tells his grandson a story - say - about Castles, Kings, Witches, etc. This invokes the child's inner senses to learn what is beyond his limited practical world. He in turn goes curious and learns "to read". He would probably develop an ardent interest to fiction and drama, if his grandfather were a good story teller.

Well, what if the same grandfather told his grandson about stories related to history, or if his grandfather played the piano, or used to go shooting; wouldn't the grandson also get some interest/curiosity to know what it is?

Curiosity transferred from Peer to Peer:

The knowledge about sports, pranks, and other unwanted activities that kids and teenagers get 'curious' about often are formed from peer to peer communication.

Self learned curiosity:

We train ourselves to follow our passion. for eg: Poetry, Web-designing, Photoshop.

Everything we know is born from curiosity.

But can we teach someone to be curious?

Well, we can't teach anyone to be curious. It would be like teaching the boring subjects in school. But we can definitely tempt someone to be curious - like by asking them a question or showing them an illustration.

For example:

You can teach a student all about a Personal Computer and the wonderful things that are installed in it - and if he is a newbie to computers, he'd probably sit there and sleep through your lecture. But what if you showed him a real computer and tried to teach him something from it? He'd definitely be tempted and gain curiosity, and thus knowledge.

P.S.: We can't force anything on anyone. It's freewill that drives curiosity into each individual.

P.P.S: Aren't we all a bit curious about development and about the new stuff that come out everyday?

Teaching Curiosity to adults:

My mom was never curious about the internet or the computer although I offered many a times to teach her to use it. The cable connection at my parents' old flat had to be cancelled when they shifted to a new flat. However, it took a while for the new cable connection to arrive at the new flat. This 'made' my mom curious about the internet, and now she's learned enough in order to buffer and watch her favorite serials from the YouTube. What I could not teach her in all these years, necessity did - in just a month!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

First, if you haven't, read this! Then, proceed to read the below. Happy new year again!
guys any chances for bang/hyd in 2/3 round i got noida DESD. prefernce was pune,hyd,bang,noida for DESD with 580.......
Does anybody knows how to write a program for geometric Meshing in c/c++/Patran command language.If so please provide me a solution or else suggest some stuffs to get in.
i have been alloted a seat for PG-DITISS course in C DAC-NOIDA center.so i want to know about the placement after completing this course and is it good to take...
At social gatherings, people will ask you questions and be more inquisitive if you tell them that you run a / work for a startup company. I've observed that if...