Can commercial airplanes fly upside down?

In a lot of movies related to air force, we've seen that the pilots are shown to fly the airplanes upside down in their attempt to save hundreds of lives. 😁
I read on a blog that it's theoretically impossible for passenger flights to pull such a feat. Even if a pilot tries a little bit, the aircraft will lose lift in the wings and the engine won't have the power to keep the airplane up.

☕ What do crazy engineers have to say?

Replies

• Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
    It is possible for any aircraft to fly in an inverted position aerodynamically, though the fuel systems designed for commercial aircraft engines don't allow them to do so. The fuel will stop reaching the engines in an inverted position after sometime if the maneuver is carried out for an extended time. Even so, the aircraft can be barrel rolled at 1G (for people not knowing G-forces: the rolling action about the fuselage axis will replicate the gravitational pull, that is the centrifugal force will be equal to gravity) to keep the fuel perfectly balanced.
    So yes commercial aircrafts can fly in an upside down position given that their fuel systems are modified 😁
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well, I cannot comment about the aerodynamic aspect, but to skew my opinion, I have seen the movie Flight (Denzel Washington), which is NOT based on real events. But since the premise of the movie shows him *Spoiler Alert* crash landing after inverted flying a commercial passenger plane, I assume the director must have given this at least a more practical thought.
  • ravi sisodia
    ravi sisodia
    I think It can fly upside down as we have seen many fighter planes at the air force day

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Did you ever imagine that you will be able to make free voice calls even on landline? No? But now, you can. What if we tell you, now you can...
Research and Physicists at the University of Michigan has raised new hopes for the development of quantum computers and other electronics. They believe that an exotic state of matter will...
asokfair submitted a new project: Ultrasonic Distance Meter - Ultrasonic This Distance Meter has built with ARM Controller. It has the HCSR04 Ultrasonic module and 7SEG display.It can measure the...
Hi I want to do PhD thesis on Stacking Sequence Effect of Composites on Vibration. Can you please guide me
Few days ago a Firefox Phone from LG was up in rumors and this time around there is a tweet leaking its specifications. This information was tweeted by @upleaks as...