Can anyone start a business with just $100?

According to Chris Guillebeau, the author of the famous book "The $100 startup", it's easier to make money chasing your dream and all it takes is just $100 to start your own business. Now $100 is not a 'lot of money' to start with. I'm planning to read the book and wish to know whether anyone here thinks and believes that it's possible to start a business with just $100 in your pocket?

Share your views, ideas, experiences etc.

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Depends on what kind of business plans you've in mind. If it's a business related to providing Engineering Admissions to students, you can definitely give it a try. In my college, there were guys who made lots of money just by introducing students and getting them admissions into our college. The commission during my first year was Rs10000, and now it's boosted to Rs 25000 for each admission. This commission is provided by the management. The candidates who have lower marks would have to give donations while the good grade scorers would get free admissions. One of my seniors made a huge profit of Rs40 lakhs during the year 2010. He had admissions in various colleges all over India. And the market for MBBS admissions is really high.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, that book essentially talks about starting 'any' business for under $100. Now it's important that we're talking about 'starting' a business. Of course, we aren't talking about setting up an industry to begin with.

The book, I've heard, is about getting your ideas to setting up your own venture and then making a living out of it. For the records sake, CE started with a little budget of $50. Outlook India had featured us as one of the coolest ventures that started their operations under Rs. 500,000. 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looking forward to views from CEans. Is there anyone who's read the book? Would be interesting to hear your views.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    I've read the book, and this is one picture from the book I'll like to share-
    20120708_101832

Many entrepreneurial opportunities have been discussed, and there are a few incidents I personally liked where people became accidental entrepreneurs. A line from one of the reviews goes like this- "If you're not ready to launch your own business after reading this book, you need to go back and read it again." After going through the book and the personal experiences of the people involved, starting up your own business with $100 seems a fulfilling thing to do, filling your heart and your wallet at the same time.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting photo it is. Does the book tell you how to spend those first $100 in starting any type of business?
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    All the ventures seem to stress on this one point: Keep the starting cost as low as possible. Except for this, the *how* part varies depending upon the domain of your business, and though a few instances of this have been discussed, it's not dealt in depth here.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The theme of this thread reminds me of the reality show contest shown on TV where the participants have to spend $10 or $100 smartly so as to earn maximum profits. In real life, with start-ups, it just gets more interesting.

One thing holds true though, with internet business opportunities in place, $100 startup is quite easier than ever before.
  • robo_warrior
    robo_warrior
    just read the book : are you(big K) that $200000 earning Indian blogger mentioned ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    robo_warrior
    just read the book : are you(big K) that $200000 earning Indian blogger mentioned ?
    Who mentioned that? 😨
  • Decio Accietto
    Decio Accietto
    I think if you have will, a good idea, and you really like it, may be its possible.. that´s my picture´s interpretation, and may be the book opens your mind..
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    According to Chris Guillebeau, the author of the famous book "The $100 startup", it's easier to make money chasing your dream and all it takes is just $100 to start your own business. Now $100 is not a 'lot of money' to start with. I'm planning to read the book and wish to know whether anyone here thinks and believes that it's possible to start a business with just $100 in your pocket?

Share your views, ideas, experiences etc.

when i was young i read a jataka tale called "the mouse merchant" .(most of the people here must be aware of this story). In this a guy made it big , starting with just one paise ! even though it is fiction, the story sounded realistic.

Everything is possible.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Money is essential for every thing, But i think in today's time the success of any venture depends only on USP (unique selling Point) , not on money

If you have clear vision of your buisness then only you can get success
  • Amar Srivastava
    Amar Srivastava
    Yes it is possible to start a business with $100 , but it requires a lot of knowledge and efforts. Here is my workable plan for it .
    1.Go to old laptop dealers ( In delhi you can find at Nehru Place)
    2.Buy 2 old IBM laptops (P-4)at $40-50 each.
    3.Clean it and load the Operating system ( XP or above)
    4.Load MS Office and some Other free software like Acrobat Reader , VLC player , etc
    5.List them at ebay.in and OLX.in at Price tag of $110-150. At ebay listed them in auction with bid started from $10 with a reserve price of $120.
    6.Sell them and make a profit of atleast $120-150.
    7.With this profit Buy more and repeat the same process
    8.Soon you will establish as second hand Laptop Seller and earn a handsome money daily.
    9.Rinse and repeat the process to make more and more profit.

Cheers
    Amar
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Not possible within that budget. #3 & #4 would set you back with about Rs. 12-20k.
  • Amar Srivastava
    Amar Srivastava
    Ya you are right if you go for licenseced software , When you buy old IBM laptop sr. no. of operating system is mentioned on machine it self , you only need media and use the Sr. key mentioned on machine.
    you can load open office insted of MS office .

Anyway that was just an idea , the possiblilities is endless ,you have to be innovative and creative.

Cheere
    Amar

The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Not possible within that budget. #3 & #4 would set you back with about Rs. 12-20k.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have been a very hardcore fan of LINUX .... & from last 2 years i have hardly consumed 2 to 3 hours in Windows OS. I believe in freewares...
I hope you will understand the thread's concept from the title. Am little confused with this!!!!😨 Can anyone help? I need the answer with reason. 😐
So friends, do you think Illuminati exists ?? Sometimes i believe so & sometime i don't ...... This conspiracy theory sounds so real, aint it ? Like Obama said they...
Me & my friend on our way to college .... after long conversation ... She : So what kind of PC you own ? Me : AMD FX4100 AM3+, 4...
After releasing its Android powered tablet KindleFire, Amazon is now all set to release its first smartphone. Amazon has collaborated with Foxconn in development of its own smartphone. Foxconn is...