Can any one tell "Why Smoke is produced while burning Kerosene?"

Hi friends,

I am looking to do a project "On how to produce smokeless burning of kerosene?" (while using in stove) . Please help me to add your opinion. You must have known about Kerosene stove.

Yours😀

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Moving the thread to Chemical Engineering section from Project ideas section.
  • Differential
    Differential
    A chemical reaction happens when kerosene is burnt which produces gases that come out as smoke.
  • satishengg
    satishengg
    Is there no any way to reduce it(smoke)? or by changing stove burning mechanism.
  • Hareen
    Hareen
    Well the smoke is due to the hydrocarbons present in the kerosene,

It is (atleast now) impossible to expect an engine or apparatus burning or running on fossil fuels to run without smoke.

You can try for lower smoke emissions if you are that interested by taking pure fuel and making the perfect burning of the fuel.

Regards,
    ~MMHC
  • Raviteja.g
    Raviteja.g
    when kerosene is burnt the unburnt carbons and some of the burnt gases will be emitted as soot and smoke
    to decrease these smoke and soot, all the carbon atoms are to be burned
    in the case of stove we use natural gas on burning it almost all carbons will be burnt
  • Hareen
    Hareen
    when kerosene is burnt the unburnt carbons and some of the burnt gases will be emitted as soot and smoke
    to decrease these smoke and soot, all the carbon atoms are to be burned
    in the case of stove we use natural gas on burning it almost all carbons will be burnt

Thats what I've said

LPG you use the gas relatively pure under high pressures so giving out 100% carbon burning.

~MMHC
  • aza
    aza
    Hi
    The smoke is produced because of the following:
    1- Presence of impurities
    2- Heavy Hydrocarbone existance in the Kerosene section used
    3- Fresh air is not enough
    4- There may be a technical problem in your stove
    Generally, the smoke is produce because of the burning process (i.e. reaction of kerosene with Oxygen O2) is not done completely.
    To improve that or to reduce the smoke, you have to check the notes above (remove the impurities, use lighter kerosene section, provide excess fresh air, and check your stove)
    My regards
  • Dr R.T.Jadhav
    Dr R.T.Jadhav
    The smoke is due to the incomplete combustion of the hydrocarbons, especially the unsaturated ones which have a higher C %. The amount of air being supplied to eh burning fuel is insufficient and hence the smoke. However, please note that smokeless kerosene stoves do exist. I had used one about 40 years ago.
  • gohm
    gohm
    The Dr. is correct
  • raman11june
    raman11june
    The smoke is becouse of presence of carbon existing in combustion product.
    Carbon is always present in fuel in form of hydrocarbon. When we burn this fuel and air is not available in proper quantity or air-fuel mixing is not proper soot will form.
    Breakdown of unburned hydrocarbon will take place and coke will form due to tigh temp. created by combustion reaction. If this coke in not getting converted in CO or CO2 becouse of less amount of air or improper mixing, will result smoke formation.

So you want smokeless flame try to atomize ur fuel this result in proper air fuel mixing and smikeless flame.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends, Can any CEan tell me how smoke has produced while burning a fuel kerosene. You are must know about STOVE which used kerosene as a fuel for cooking...
CEasn, The idea has just struck my mind. To address one of the most common problems faced by most of the engineers is to choose perfect configuration for their computer...
With one person every five hours[3] killed by mesothelioma in the UK, 3M is supporting the essential HSE campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of asbestos in the workplace....
Hi, Currently i'm doing Diploma on E&E Engineering. Now i need to get some idea from u guys as i'm start off with my mini project. Conclusion, i'm stuck with...
hey tell me any one have c# programming by balagurusawmy... e-book..... its urgent....