Can any one explain concept of core in microprocessor.

hi ceans,

I want to know about waht we actually mean when we say that this processor is dual core or quad core & this processor has 2 or 4 cores on its chip.

How this can improve performance of microprocessor ?

Replies

• Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    -A multi-core processor is a processing system composed of two or more independent cores
    -multiple CPU cores on the same die allows the cache coherency circuitry to operate at a much higher clock rate than is possible if the signals have to travel off-chip
    -combining equivalent CPUs on a single die significantly improves the performance of cache snoop (Bus snooping) operations
    -a dual-core processor uses slightly less power than two coupled single-core processors
    -For example, if the automatic virus scan initiates while a movie is being watched, the application running the movie is far less likely to be starved of processor power, as the antivirus program will be assigned to a different processor core than the one running the movie playback.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    From a layman's perspective, a core is part of the microprocessor which does the processing. (Correct me if I am wrong)

To improve the performance of the processor, you may consider overclocking your CPU. But sometimes overclocking may be harmful for the CPU.
  • faizaan
    faizaan
    thanks,

mahesh_dahale can you just explain any thing more about this line.

"-For example, if the automatic virus scan initiates while a movie is being watched, the application running the movie is far less likely to be starved of processor power, as the antivirus program will be assigned to a different processor core than the one running the movie playback."

waiting for reply.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I read this somewhere - A mobile phone’s SMS capacity is only 140 bytes (8 bits constitute a byte). For sending an SMS in English we need just 7 bits...
... and i am loving it!(OK I am late saying this..) I joined CE when I was looking for some help on my OFDM project. I was talking to my...
CEans, BITS Pilani Goa campus is organizing Quark 2010 between 4-6[sup]th[/sup] February 2010. Officeial Website: QUARK 2010 | Coming Soon | February 4th - 6th Updates to follow.
Hi frnds, i need an accelerometer for my final year project to measure floor vibration produced by human fall, the vibration will in range of 0.5 to 20 Hz. Suggest...
My college is holding a techfest I want to ask you people about 2 events Please give your valuable suggestions for the same 1) Treasure(Tech) Hunt Please help with the...