Can A Software Detect Subtext In A Speech, Such As Sarcasm?

If you are someone like the fictitious Sheldon Cooper from the famous sitcom The Big Bang Theory who has trouble in detecting sarcasm in a conversation you are not alone. The Secret Service of the US, yes the guys in black suits, tinted sunglasses and earpieces are having the same trouble. As you might be aware, these guys often monitor online chatter to detect any potentially nefarious activity such as an attack on an airport. In the recent past, they have had to intercept people who jokingly posted something about blowing an airport on Twitter. So in order to differentiate the actual threat to a fake one, it has posted #-Link-Snipped-# for tech companies on its FedBizOpps website where it is asking for a social networking data aggregation service that will be able to find the subtext in an interaction among other things.

So my question to fellow member of CE can a computer be able to detect subtext such as sarcasm? If, yes how and if, no why? For your reference, we have given a few links where the news was discussed: #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-# & #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    From Washington post
    Secret service wants that software to be
    compatible with Internet Explorer 8.
    Was that sarcasm ?☕

For real person it depends that sarcasm is offensive or just a light joke . So, for AI, it will take lots of algo to detect really whether it is a sarcasm.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shouldn't this be a computer science topic than a debate one?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have been a fan of TBBT for a long time.
    Engadget's headline on the topic -
    The Secret Service's proposed Twitter sarcasm detector is totally going to work
    was a real master stroke. 😁

But this stuff is really fascinating.
    If we do consider a case of developing a software that detects sarcasm, it will have to go through a database of thousands and thousands of comparable patterns from the same individual.

..unless they use AI where the machine learns 'with experience'

PS: A lot of my friends are incapable of understanding the difference between sarcastic and serious statements. The only thing lacking with them is 'experience', not intelligence, I believe.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shouldn't this be a computer science topic than a debate one?
    Yup just thought of it now.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dedicating this discussion to suggesting new startups. Whenever you come across a really cool startup, whose founders team consists of engineers or the startup is related to technology/innovation in any...
Ostendo, a Californian start-up company is ready to bring the future to our present. The company's display innovations now allow projecting 3D holograms right from your smartphone. Ostendo has promised...
Well, I named Flipkart because they are synonymous with online buying in India. However, this discussion is about checking out the honesty of the reviews of products posted on Flipkart...
Lasers can now be used by the police for much more than speed-limit enforcement, thanks to a team of researchers from Military University of Technology in Warsaw, who have developed...
With an aim to re-define the way people look at automotive enthusiasts and the automotive industry linked to it, a startup called 'Motor Chronicles' was founded by Nakul Patel, Aashish...