BSNL FTTH Service Reviews

BSNL has already launched the 'Fiber To The Home' service which promises a direct fiber cable to the subscriber's home and speeds around 100 Mbps ๐Ÿ˜ฒ. I'm wondering whether the service is really worth the buck. By the way, given the speeds BSNL is promising, the service looks cheap!

Do we have CEans here who've used or have friends who've used this service? If yes, please post your reviews and feedback. We might just abandon our BSNL broadband plans and directly jump over to the FTTH. The main concern would be persistence of connections and how well does this type of connection perform if we set it up to constant server backups.

Another concern is whether your regular router can be configured with the modems that are provided with the FTTH service ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    I heard that FTTH tarrifs are too costly .

1 Mbps for Rs 2999/month is not a reasonable cost i guess.

In BSNL , for 750 plan , we can get 1 MBPS upto 10GB ( updated recently ) and after that 512 kbps. I think this is reasonable and better plan.

Attached FTTH plans below.

ftth
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ursplfrnd
    I heard that FTTH tarrifs are too costly .

1 Mbps for Rs 2999/month is not a reasonable cost i guess.

In BSNL , for 750 plan , we can get 1 MBPS upto 10GB ( updated recently ) and after that 512 kbps. I think this is reasonable and better plan.
    Yep, but it's 1 Mbps (1:1) !
  • Shobhan Mankad
    Shobhan Mankad
    I have known about this since a while as they had launched on a test scale in pune recently. ( if i am not wrong) . i had read a newspaper advertisement of it which also mentioned the rates. though i dont recollect the exact amount, but i was pretty convinced at that time that the service was excellent (ofcourse) but for asked price, is it worth ? as rightly pointed out, BSNL 750 plans also works superb without any problems.
    but i am guessing, this service would only be better and the best if BSNL proposes to revolutionalize what it did in back . only then its worth . and only then the rates would come down.
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    The_Big_K
    Yep, but it's 1 Mbps (1:1) !
    Even though i think people would prefer cables to fiber as they are used and getting speed with much cheaper price.I guess it takes time for BSNL to reduce FTTH plans. We are getting Beam fiber net at cheaper rates.
  • Shobhan Mankad
    Shobhan Mankad
    oh awesome, you attached the FTTH plans. i didnt see that before.. thanks for doing that.
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    Shobhan Mankad
    oh awesome, you attached the FTTH plans. i didnt see that before.. thanks for doing that.
    Yeah. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've two 1350 unlimited plans and I'm still inclined towards 1 Mbps dedicated. The 4Mbps never exceeds 300 kbps of actual download speed.

But considering the 'backup' the other line offers; I'm holding on until the rates shrink ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    The_Big_K
    The 4Mbps never exceeds 300 kbps of actual download speed.
    One of my friend uses the same plan. He gets around 400 kbps of download speed. How come 300 kbps for you? And in 1350 plan , we get 4 mbps only upto 20 GB. Though it is reasonable , i dont think FTTH plans would shed their tarifs upto this level.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's right. I don't expect FTTH to really compete with ADSL+2. The broadband speeds depend on lot of factors and line disturbance is one of them. Anyway; I'm not bothered about the 100kbps difference. 400 Kbps speed isn't lucrative either.

I think money isn't the issue here. I'm looking for the performance. If the service offers 1 Mbps (least 800kbps), I think Rs. 3k/month is still justified. Remember, it's unlimited and I hope it doesn't come with 'Fair Usage Policy'. I don't download videos/music through my Internet connection; just might use it to transfer huge data from servers to local backup facilities.
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    The_Big_K
    That's right. I don't expect FTTH to really compete with ADSL+2. The broadband speeds depend on lot of factors and line disturbance is one of them. Anyway; I'm not bothered about the 100kbps difference. 400 Kbps speed isn't lucrative either.

I think money isn't the issue here. I'm looking for the performance. If the service offers 1 Mbps (least 800kbps), I think Rs. 3k/month is still justified. Remember, it's unlimited and I hope it doesn't come with 'Fair Usage Policy'. I don't download videos/music through my Internet connection; just might use it to transfer huge data from servers to local backup facilities.
    After watching this thread , i have asked my friends regarding this scheme. Some of them said , The speed and performance is same as ADSL and the costumer care response on this is also not very impressive( *I have not tried calling costumer care for checking this). I think it still takes time and has to be developed more. BSNL is trust worthy and it would surely attract people with this scheme if few changes are made. Especially , cost , speed , performance & costumer care.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    As many of you are aware, optical fibre has bandwidth capacity . it can provide seepds of say 10gbps. Since general users dont need to much bandwitdh, or for that matter since optical communcaition is expensive, to make optimum utlisation of this speed, the fibre is split into say 100 fibres using optical splitters. So each fibre now has a capacilty to carry almost 100Mbps speed.
    There are already fast backbone swtching network comprising of optical backbone, but the last mile or the local loop is geenrally copper, Thus the bottleneck is from the user premises itself. With FTTH, this bottleneck can be eliminated.
    I don't think current mdoems support anything beyond 20Mbps, let alone accomodate FFTH.
    I think BSNL is pulling up its socks for better game.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Durga: Thanks for the information.

Very cool insights in this thread indeed!

Apart from costs; is there any solid reason not to opt for FTTH?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    not really,I dotn see a reason why betetr speeds are not to be opted. Yes, incase all what one does is check email, then no need, that can be done using current technology itself. But to run better video and faster data services what's better than fibre? BSNL seems to be investing huge here. I am sure it has its own ways getting the money back. Who knows it might tie up with google/youtube for vedio serivces and cahrge them for it??? But the technology introduction will take time.Atleast I am not sure what FFTH BSNL is implemting, it can be either GPON, PON or ethernet or whatever. The infrastructure needs to be made ready for.

psst.. I know few BSNL site locations where the fibre is just like fibre .. ie no otuer protection .. it breaks off at even slightest pressure on it. If they are going to do the same, they would need a huge customer serivce base
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    The_Big_K
    Apart from costs; is there any solid reason not to opt for FTTH?
    I was more stressing on cost, because with higher costs , it wouldnot attract the regular (Home ) users.
    As you said , for transferring huge data , and mostly in companies this would get a good applause.

But BSNL has recently started this scheme and as mentioned above by Durga
    I don't think current modems support anything beyond 20Mbps, let alone accomodate FFTH.
    , this would be a major problem.

Otherwise , opting FTTH (BSNL) over other brands will be a good option.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    looks like FTTH (BSNL) is too costly ..
    I am using 10mbps for INR. 1000 for fair uses 30gb and post 2mbps unlimited. This is hell speed.
    When I add one movie of 700mb for download, and searching for some other movie to download, mean while, previous movie already downloaded ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ .

Service so for good till date ..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, has anyone opted for BSNL FTTH service? I'm looking for first hand reviews. Also, the bigger question is; do FTTH services call for a new type of modem and can it work with our regular router?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ianoop
    I am using 10mbps for INR. 1000 for fair uses 30gb and post 2mbps unlimited. This is hell speed.
    Curious to know if you're on Beam Telecom? My friend recently visited Hyderabad and he couldn't stop praising the Beam folks. Looks like BEAM's the name in Hyderabad. 10 Mbps would be super cool for INR.1000.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes, service is also very good. just 2 times network issue in last 7 months.๐Ÿ˜€
    Hail Beam Telecom ๐Ÿ‘
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Bit unrelated but are you jelly of my download speed?? ๐Ÿ˜›
    Don't mind the ping & upload speed as I barely require those. Videos run flawlessly btw.

[โ€‹IMG]

Not jelly? What if I say I pay only Rs.550 and its unlimited? ๐Ÿ˜
    Do I ever need FFT? Hell NO, well until the prices drop & speed increases. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Indrajeet Roy
    Indrajeet Roy
    Its the Speed and the Unlimited that would do it for me...IF I had the money that is!! I usually download huge amount of games and songs online!!!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm using the service for a few days now. Will oost a detailed review once I collect enough information.
  • Indrajeet Roy
    Indrajeet Roy
    Thanks man, I also wonder if it is available in New Delhi. I use MTNL Triband, and usually get a good speed on it.
  • MD_sam
    MD_sam
    Kaustubh Katdare
    BSNL has already launched the 'Fiber To The Home' service which promises a direct fiber cable to the subscriber's home and speeds around 100 Mbps ๐Ÿ˜ฒ. I'm wondering whether the service is really worth the buck. By the way, given the speeds BSNL is promising, the service looks cheap!

Do we have CEans here who've used or have friends who've used this service? If yes, please post your reviews and feedback. We might just abandon our BSNL broadband plans and directly jump over to the FTTH. The main concern would be persistence of connections and how well does this type of connection perform if we set it up to constant server backups.

Another concern is whether your regular router can be configured with the modems that are provided with the FTTH service ๐Ÿ˜€
    Are you really that stupid that you cant say the difference between MBPS(mega bits per second) And MB/s(mega bytes per second).4 mbps(mega bits per second not mega bytes per second) is roughly 350 KB/s to 500 KB/s (kilo bytes not kilo bits). there fore 1mbps will yield you somewhere between 100 KB/s to 150KB/s (kilo bytes not kilo bits). there fore i dont know from where you arrived at the conclusion that 1 mega bits per second = 850KB/s.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Could you please quote the right post so that it's easier for me to reflect on my stupidity?

100 Mbps was the speed quoted to me by BSNL executives. Thank you for highlighting the difference between Mbps & MBps. Noting it down. โ˜•
  • haritanay
    haritanay
    BSNL Introduced New plans in Bangalore recently Like ACT. 6O Mbps for Rs.1995, 40 Mbps for Rs.1445 and 20 mbps for Rs.1045. Mine is Rs. 1995 plan and Am getting download speed around 50 Mbps.๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Dude! 50 mbps! โ˜• Jealous! Could you give us an official link where the site mentions these plans?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    haritanay
    BSNL Introduced New plans in Bangalore recently Like ACT. 6O Mbps for Rs.1995, 40 Mbps for Rs.1445 and 20 mbps for Rs.1045. Mine is Rs. 1995 plan and Am getting download speed around 50 Mbps.๐Ÿ˜€
    I just checked the new plans; but they do have download limits in place!
    • 20 Mbps - 50 GB - Rs. 1045
    • 40 Mbps - 75 GB - Rs. 1395
    • 60 Mbps - 75 GB - Rs. 1995
    • 2 Mbps - 15 GB - Rs. 649
    • 4 Mbps - 30 GB - Rs. 845
    I'm not sure what I'll do with so big speed but so little data limit! It's good for the casual downloaders who only access facebook and torrent.
  • Piyush Dangre
    Piyush Dangre
    [Prototype]
    Bit unrelated but are you jelly of my download speed?? ๐Ÿ˜›
    Don't mind the ping & upload speed as I barely require those. Videos run flawlessly btw.

[โ€‹IMG]

Not jelly? What if I say I pay only Rs.550 and its unlimited? ๐Ÿ˜
    Do I ever need FFT? Hell NO, well until the prices drop & speed increases. ๐Ÿ˜›
    Jelly? I burnt. ๐Ÿ˜ก
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think money isn't the issue here. I'm looking for the performance. If the service offers 1 Mbps (least 800kbps),
    Transferring of data considered in lowest unit Bit and storing measured in Bytes. That's where it makes difference.
    A 1Mbps (in bit) should give download speed of exactly 125KBps
    (125 Byte*8 = 1000Bits). I have used 4Mbps plans of bsnl fiber 5 years back and it use to give more than 400Kbps. (Make note that most of the ISP says 1Mbps is total bandwidth(download+upload).
    I am currently using 2Mbps plan it give me >230 KBps download speed.
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, has anyone opted for BSNL FTTH service? I'm looking for first hand reviews. Also, the bigger question is; do FTTH services call for a new type of modem and can it work with our regular router?
    Yes, most basic routers are of 150Mbps speed. So yes, that is usable.
    But, basic routers suck at transferring wifi data between local computers at only 1-2MBps.

BTW: what is the speed after download limit?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Piyush Dangre
    Jelly? I burnt. ๐Ÿ˜ก
    Pretty old stuff. Unfortunately I had to surrender that connection as I moved out of Nagpur and the device I had didn't support national roaming.๐Ÿ˜ญ

But good news is, I've 25 Mbps now. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Piyush Dangre
    Piyush Dangre
    [Prototype]
    Pretty old stuff. Unfortunately I had to surrender that connection as I moved out of Nagpur and the device I had didn't support national roaming.๐Ÿ˜ญ

What was the device?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Prototype]
    Curious to know which service you're using now.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Piyush Dangre
    What was the device?
    It was a wireless dongle. ZTE AC8700 something. EVDO WCDMA device.

Kaustubh Katdare
    Curious to know which service you're using now.
    Its ACT!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just checked their plans and they can teach BSNL a lesson for sure. Rs. 4399 (+taxes) will get you 350 GB of data download (FUP) at 80 Mbps! Post FUP limit, the speed falls down to 2 Mbps; but I think 350 GB is just way more than what a typical user will download. My consumption ranges between 100-120 GB/month and it does not involve torrent downloads!

I just hope ACT and Beam Telecom (Hyderabad) have some expansion plans in their mind.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I just hope ACT and Beam Telecom (Hyderabad) have some expansion plans in their mind.
    Beam telecom is good option, until you get service interruption. Customer service is pathetic. Only thing you will hear is "Sir, we will send you our Engineer(with capital E) to resolve your service in 24 hours."๐Ÿ‘Ž. No surety when exactly it will get resolved.
    I suggest better to go with local broadband service. I have tried two of local broadband services and they are quite good. In any interruption, at least you can force them to tell you exact problem.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Hmm. I think I'm fairly impressed by BSNL's customer support in the recent times. I've personal mobile numbers of all the concerned executives and they're quick to respond - and I've troubled them on Sunday mornings and holidays as well.
  • shobsom
    shobsom
    BSNL s FTTH has very good plans and good speed
    Technically no problem ans they provide ONT and wifi router may connected to get wifi. Speed is extremly satisfying
    But when fiber cut restoration takes time because of many agencies like Bbmp metro Etc
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    shobsom
    BSNL s FTTH has very good plans and good speed
    Technically no problem ans they provide ONT and wifi router may connected to get wifi. Speed is extremly satisfying
    But when fiber cut restoration takes time because of many agencies like Bbmp metro Etc
    I've been using them for years now; and totally happy with the overall quality of service. My only complained is that their plans are totally expensive. I'm waiting for Reliance Jio to start offering FTTH services.
  • Rajas123
    Rajas123
    #-Link-Snipped-# god to know about a genuine long time FTTH user. Need your help on below issue

I recently took a new FTTH connection all of a sudden during the past 2 weeks certain sites have become inaccessible. I have played with DNS settings & MTU szie property on my TP-Link router. I have also approached the BSNL exchange (no use though).

Scenario: I could access most of the sites like google.co.in, gmail.com,blogpost.com, and many more. But I found access issues to following sites like irctc.co.in,ymail.com(yahoomail),private netbanking sites, utility payment sitses,few forums..These are the sites which I have discovered so for.

1)
    Preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8
    Alternate DNS server 8.8.4.4
    2)
    Preferred DNS server 208.67.222.222
    Alternate DNS server 208.67.220.220
    3)
    Preferred DNS server 218.248.240.208
    Alternate DNS server 218.248.240.135
    4)
    Preferred DNS server 218.248.241.2
    Alternate DNS server 218.248.240.209
    5)
    Preferred DNS server 218.248.255.212
    Alternate DNS server 218.248.241.2
    6)
    Preferred DNS server 218.248.245.3
    Alternate DNS server 218.248.245.9

None of the above set of DNS entry worked when set on Router>DHCP

I also tried doing the ping test to identify optimal MTU size with values rangin from 1400(MTU1428) to 1470(MTU1498), everytime i got the same message: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set

I have AONT 100C modem and TP-Link WR841N Wi-Fi router

The issue still persists. Can anyone help on this regard. with details on what should be DNS values on PC/Lapop and on router, with MTU values.

Thanks in advance
  • ericshajil
    ericshajil
    What is the download speec in ftth? I have BSNL broadband with 4mbps speed and it downloads at around 400kbps... In ftth is do we get full 10mbps download speed or 1mbps...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ericshajil
    What is the download speec in ftth? I have BSNL broadband with 4mbps speed and it downloads at around 400kbps... In ftth is do we get full 10mbps download speed or 1mbps...
    It all depends upon the plan you subscribe to. A 24 Mbps line would definitely give you at least 20 Mbps speeds on a busy day. I often get a little over 24 Mbps download speeds on Sundays or late night hours.

I've personally found the service very reliable. I however look forward to Reliance Jio Fiber services to launch in the coming months. BSNL FTTH is expensive!
  • ericshajil
    ericshajil
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It all depends upon the plan you subscribe to. A 24 Mbps line would definitely give you at least 20 Mbps speeds on a busy day. I often get a little over 24 Mbps download speeds on Sundays or late night hours.

I've personally found the service very reliable. I however look forward to Reliance Jio Fiber services to launch in the coming months. BSNL FTTH is expensive!
    Now i guess they have reduced the rates... Iโ€™m planning to subscribe 1099 Plan... 30Mbps 40GB and 1Mbps UL...
  • Nitin Chhipa
    Nitin Chhipa

Now the plans were cheaper. Here is my review

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I notice that there seems to be a new craze in project fund-raising through organizations like Kickstarter. Has anybody looked through the various projects posted on Kickstarter's website, and if...
Explanation: The Rosette Nebula is not the only cosmic cloud of gas and dust to evoke the imagery of flowers -- but it is the most famous. At the edge...
Researchers at National Chung Hsing University in Taichung, Taiwan, are experimenting with the use of your heartbeat as a biometric alternative to the password. The scientists say that a key...
hi ppl..can anybody help me for basic guidelines for designing an auditorium ..i already ve gone through NBC-2005..apart from that i need information..pls help me ..
Has anyone taken this test? What are the benefits of this test?