BSNL and Facebook tie up to install 100 WiFi Hotspots across villages in India

Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) is collaborating with Social Media King - Facebook to set up 100 Wi-Fi hotspots in various rural areas in southern and western India. Interestingly, a lot of people are coming to BSNL's aid for this novel initiative. Several MPs from the Government of India will help in setting up the WiFi hotspots in the 'model villages' that they have adopted under the Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY). These MPs include - Mr. Nitin Gadkari, Sumitra Mahajan, Najma Heptulla and Mr. Ravi Shankar Prasad. BSNL has approached several other ministers and more than 50 have given a positive response.

mark-zuckerberg-facebook

Facebook will be sponsoring an amount of Rs. 5 Lakh per WiFi Hotspot every year for helping BSNL build and maintain the infrastructure required. The social media giant has no revenue share agreement in this proposal.

This mutual agreement between Facebook & BSNL is a pact for three years and it can be further extended for another two years if the need arises. In fact, the duo has already set up 25 fully functional WiFi hotspots in the country.
BSNL has partnered with a vendor called 'Quad Zen' and 'Trimax' - the Mumbai based IT infrastructure provider, to set up these WiFi hotspots and also for handling the sales.

While Quad Zen is to take care of installing 2000 WiFi hotspots in Southern and Western India, Trimax will handle the responsibility of another 500 hotspots in Northern India.

It will be interesting to see the outcome a fully connected network that helps millions of Indians come online over the next couple of years. It won't be wrong to say that the Modi Government's 'Digital India' initiative is being executed with flying colours.

What are your thoughts about BSNL seeking foreign company investment for building its WiFi infrastructure in India? Share with us in comments below.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Coming from a Sindhi business family, Manisha Raisinghani always felt it that entrepreneurship was always in her blood. Her family urged her to seek out challenges and to pave her...
many have tried it before, but failed..... i want to privatise world's technological advancement....... (UNDER ME OF COURSE) you would now be thinking ,may be i am little hittler-ish ,well...
Artificial cardiac pacemakers that have been a boon to the lives of millions for more than half a century are getting a wonderful makeover with a group of researchers from...
Hey I'm a final year computer science student. I got selected in 2 companies. First one is Virtusa( Developer profile) and the second one is Sapient (QA) with higher package....
Don't judge the book by its cover. The boxy looking Walker 1 (Xingzhe No. 1) - a Chinese robot has claimed its position in the Guinness Book of World Records...