BSNL 3G Review: Speed | Performance

BSNL 3G set the Indian Internet World ablaze by being the first one to offer 3G connection speeds over wireless data modems. The BSNL EVDO service was a big flop show and it left many EVDO customers (including yours truly) annoyed with connection problems, irregular speeds, no connectivity even in parts of the cities and so on. While BSNL EVDO promised speeds upto 2.1 mbps, the actual download/upload speeds never crossed 20 kbps. On rare occasions I've experienced speeds up to 45 kb/s but soon realized that I was dreaming.

Then entered the BSNL 3G - the revolutionary 10+ year old technology that BSNL promised would provide speeds of up to 3.6 mb/s and 7.2 mb/s. BSNL being the first one in the country to offer 3G services, speed-hungry customers like me had no choice but to go for the new service. The festival offer by BSNL offered the 3G USB Data Modem for only Rs. 2000 and 6 months subscription for Rs 4200. I got my data card that took about 4 days of activation period.

Installation:

The best thing about all modern 3G data cards is that they come bundled with required dialing software. All you have to do is plug the modem in your computer's USB slot and let the device install the software on its own. Upon installation, the software creates icons on the desktop for easy detection. After you install the software, the dialer pop-up automatically whenever you insert the modem. Here's how it looks -

#-Link-Snipped-#
BSNL 3G Dialer

Connecting to BSNL 3G:

The BSNL advertisements imbibes the word 'speed' in your mind. However the dialer takes its own time to 'boot'. That is, once you've inserted the modem, it takes about 5 seconds for the software to appear on your desktop, then the software performs various operations in following order -

Device Detected - Starting - SIM Ready - Reading SMS - Searching - UMTS/HSDPA/EDGE/GPRS

The whole process on my Windows Vista machine takes about 20-45 seconds. Note that the signal strength is very good in my area and I usually get 5 bars.You've to click on the second tab (circular arrow) and then on the 'Connect' button to make the dialer connect to the service. However it also takes about 5-10 seconds depending upon the signal in your area. You don't have to enter username or password as it is pre-configured  in the dialer.

Performance:

This is where BSNL disappoints big time. After the connection, the dialer goes into idle mode. For example in above screenshot the 'Received Speed' shows '0 KBps' which means there's no data being exchanged between your computer and server. I get that 3/5 times upon connecting to the Internet.

Speeds: The download speed I get is anywhere between 10 KBps to 300 KBps. I've read reviews on the Internet from subscribers in Pune, Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad that they seldom get speeds more than 200 KBps.

Reliability: I can't rely on BSNL 3G for important downloads (FTP transfers, for example). The speeds will remain steady at 90 KBps for few minutes and then suddenly drop to 0 KBps the next moment, most of the time resulting into incomplete downloads.

Best Time To Connect Using BSNL 3G: For me, early morning [4 AM - 7 AM ] is the best time to connect to BSNL 3G service as you get good download speeds, uninterrupted. I've experienced good connection speeds during evening time as well, between 8 - 10 PM.

Overall: BSNL 3G is cheap. They don't have 'fair usage policy' attached to what they offer. Other 3G network providers don't match the price offers BSNL has for unlimited download plans. However I expect the service to be more reliable in terms of speed and performance. I'd be very happy if I received download speeds above 1 MBps. But I think I'll have to wait longer.

How's BSNL 3G performing for you?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here are my answers:-

1. I paid Rs. 6200 which included 4200 + 2000 for the device. Not a penny more.

2. I've written about the speed and I believe there are only a few users who've reported the over 1 MBps speeds. It's always better to get the BSNL representative to demo the speed in your region.

3. Even I don't know. The BSNL representative said that the offer is likely to remain and I've a good reason to believe him. The fact that BSNL offer is still live, it'll last forever. If they hike the prices, I'm going to cancel the plan for sure. Unless of course, I see improved speed and performance.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You're welcome. I'm sorry that you're experiencing lower speeds. But the fact that you're not alone should comfort you 😉 .

BSNL 3G does surprise at times. I got 300 kbps actual FTP download speed this morning, which makes me feel better.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    An observation I made recently. The speeds and connection works awesome on uBuntu. I've been getting download speed of about 200 kbps on uBuntu and the connection never drops.

Maybe there's some problem with Windows Drivers?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Could you please share the settings you have? It'll help all of us!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ganesh
    now i have decided to buy a 3g modem to use with the sim instead of buying a 3g enable mobile, as i think heavy/constant download in through mobile will harm mobile, which costlier that a 3g modem,

I want ask admin or anyone experienced is it a wrong idea? to buy a 3g modem rather than a 3g mobile, my main purpose is net in my desktop.
    Sorry we missed your post. I'm not sure if this is still relevant; but I think 3G modem would function the same way as a 3G capable phone. The main differentiator, is the strength of the network in any area. My idea 3G used to perform like a superhero; but now it disappoints every alternate hour.

That said, 4G is making its way in India. I've heard very bad reviews of the Airtel 4G service and I personally look forward to the Reliance Jio 4G service; expected to launch in March this year. But don't hold your breath for it! BSNL itself will launch 4G by March; but I'm not sure what infrastructure they are going to use.

If anyone's got issues with BSNL 3G, post them below and we'll try to address them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you think the WebOS was pretty then you should be happy that the the man behind WebOS, Sidekick and Helio UIs Mr. Matias Duarte has added the same buzz...
LetsBuy.com is an an 'online shopping mall' by Tyroo and CafeGadgets founder Hitesh Dhingra. The company sells consumer electronic goods, home appliances to music players and digicam along with laptops...
Acer Stream has quietly made entry into the Android smartphone market. The phone features 3.7" large AMOLED screen for your HD entertainment. The phone comes bundled with social networking applications...
PDFzilla is a shareware that converts PDF (Portable Document Format) files into editable file formats like Microsoft Word, RTF (Rich Text Format) or Text Files (.TXT). The software sells for...
W3C has revealed new HTML 5 logo and it looks like this - HTML 5 Logo Note that the logo is not official yet. W3C has following description of the...